Modell Railroad Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you weather your rolling stock?

I'm also sort of Amazed at the fact that if you take and old Athearn Blue Box; or MDC Roundhouse kit freight car, and weather it, it looks as realistic as any of the $40.00 and $50.00 Ready To Roll freight cars available today. I find that for me, the single act of weathering a car does more for realism than all the tiny little parts you can put on a freight car. Then, if you weather one of the highly detailed cars and place it in a realistic scene, telling it from the prototype becomes very difficult! Being able to tell the difference between a highly detailed weathered RTR and an older kit built weathered car as it is being pulled in a train is pretty difficult to do.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

I would say that the majority of my freight cars are blue boc cars that I have weathered. I do also have a few highly detailed cars such as some Kadee cars and when they're all put together in a train, it's hard to tell them apart until you stop the train and get in real close. I am perfectly happy with the old blue box cars.

Here's a video I posted a while back with a mixture of different cars. Some of the Kadee cars are apparent as I have yet to weather them, but try to tell the difference.

Last edited by montanan; 12-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

You've proved my point, Chet! It is difficult to tell the expensive highly detail cars from the Blue Box, unless the highly detailed are not weathered.
    Mark D.

Here's another point to consider in the lightly vs heavily debate. As has been bemoaned in numerous forums and magazines, model railroaders are aging. When I was riding the train into Boston (late 2000's), similar to what Mark stated, most of the cars were rust buckets and / or covered in graffiti. The only "clean" cars were the new aquisitions. When I grew up in the Midwest (50's and 60's), one a week, after dinner, the whole family would stop at Dairy Queen for ice cream then park by the side of the road and watch the Milwaukee Midwest Hiawatha heading to Chicago. Being passenger service, the cars were always pristine. But more important, passing the freight yards on the way downtown, none of the cars were covered in graffiti or that bad condition. And that's the important issue. My railroad recreates the trains of my youth, as I remember them!
    Kevin

General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

Kevin,

A sign of the times my friend - a sign of the times
    Cheers,

Tony
    (aka wombat457)

"...knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it is another..."

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...Indoor-N-Scale

I was born in 1950, so I guess I grew up at the same time you did Kevin. I recall the freights going by on the N.P. and G.N. being pretty dirty.
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-09-2017 at 04:10 AM.
    Mark D.