Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Cleaning Cars.

Default Track Cleaning Cars.

A recent discussion on the CMX Track cleaning car made me think I should show my simple and cheap track cleaning cars and how I built them. I will not get into a discussion on the CMX car's high price,here, as I have already made my point in that discussion. First off, if you don't think you can assemble a simple "shake the box to build" kit, like the old Athearn Blue Box, Box Car, I would suggest you read no further. Or, if you want to challenge yourself and make building simple Freight Car Kitss in your "repertoire" of skills, continue on!

Here is a couple of photographs I have of one of the four track cleaner cars I use to keep ahead of the track cleaning chores on my layout. I did not design these cars, for the credit for design, we need to go back to John Allen's Gorre and Dephetid layout, where he used these car to clean track. I will build one of these cars for this thread, when I get my Blue Box kit to build.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM7765 (Small).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	63939 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM7766 (Small).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	63940
    Last edited by NP2626; 11-23-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

If you would like to build along, you will need an Athearn Blue Box-Box Car Kit. Currently (Thanksgiving Day, 2017) there are 10 pages of Athearn Blue Box-Box Car kits available on Ebay. You want to find an unbuilt 40 foot Box Car. 40 foot because any longer than this will need a wider pad to clean the rails, because the middle of a longer car moves farther from the centerline of the track on the curves. Kit, because you need to make modifications before you assemble the car.
    Mark D.

I will be doing something like this with the Masonite, or whatever it's called, and using the softer side. So I will be watching this thread.
    Retirement is for when the weekends just aren't long enough anymore.

Paul

And it doesn't need to be an Athearn kit; any kit will do, including Walthers' white box, Accurail, Atlas, Tichy or whatever. What matters is that it's 1) 40 ft, 2) a box car, because you need the interior space (unless you don't mind something weird, ugly, non-prototypical, etc. running on the layout), and, as Mark said 3) a KIT, because you actually have to build something.
    Kevin

General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

I was also looking at these kits.

Name:	espee.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	63942

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oplholik View Post
    I was also looking at these kits.

Name:	espee.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	63942
    I will be describing how to make these parts yourself very easily and how to make the track cleaning car from a Athearn Blue Box-Box Car kit and not using the other cars that Kevin (Red Oak & Western) says you can use. Although you certainly can use other manufacturer's car if that is what you choose. I use the Athearn Blue Box-Box Car Kit as it is a very simple build and as the instruction show has the steel weight on the underside of the car body.
    Mark D.

7. Default

Good thread, Mark.

I just noticed that one f the old Ulrich cars just sold on Ebay for $15.00, and they work nicely too!
    Sherrel
    I am starting to think I will never be old enough to know better!

I'll be watching for it Mark, altho I'm getting the idea from looking at espee's kit.
    I model in N scale, and will look to see if I can take apart any of my box cars to do this.

Paul

The product I know of as Masonite; or, hardboard, doesn't have a softer side. Sometimes the backside has a woven look to it, which would probably be the better side for cleaning the Railheads, as it is more abrasive. Other names for this type of Hardboard is: Quarterboard, Isorel and it probably has a few other names, too.

Quote Originally Posted by oplholik View Post
    I will be doing something like this with the Masonite, or whatever it's called, and using the softer side. So I will be watching this thread.
    Last edited by NP2626; 11-24-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    Mark D.

Double posted, for some reason!
    Last edited by NP2626; 11-24-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Mark D.