Modell Railroad Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Track Cleaning Cars.

Sherrel, I knew you where from California; but, where I was unsure. Sounds like today is going to be horrible as far as winds! I'm thinking about you and please keep us informed!

Per D&J RailRoad: "Not to much interest in building a track cleaning car. I have a lot of scenery work to do though".

Some of you guys seem so regimented! "I got scenery to make, no time for small projects"! I take time to do small projects all the time, as it breaks up the monotony of the big jobs and makes everything a little more fun. We all have our ways of doing things; so, go about it the way you think is right! However, remember, that your boss isn't standing over shoulders waiting for the completed product. Your doing this for fun; or, are supposed to be!
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-07-2017 at 05:52 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

2. Default

Ken (D&J) needs to do scenery! Watch his videos, trains run fine. Look at his build thread in his signature. Additionally he's been working on that damn bridge for a year now (Canyon Diablo).

Willie

3. Default

By the way, here are some pictures of the track cleaning car I built about thirty years ago. It is a "Lifelike" 36' caboose that was done similar to your boxcar. The main difference is that I super-glued the nailheads to the masonite instead of drilling countersunk holes. Easier for me and nails are cheap. I also blunted the points on the nails for safety.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-07-17 001.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	665.8 KB 
ID:	64042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-07-17 004.JPG 
Size:	641.8 KB 
ID:	64043

Easier to use but not as good on tough dirt are "Dust Monkeys" from Woodland Scenics. They're cheap ($2@ when I bought them) and easy to install. I have one on each of my 18 cabooses (except the one pictured above).

Name:	12-07-17 005.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	64044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-07-17 006.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	64045

Fortunately I no longer have to deal with track that gets dirty enough to use the masonite car, but I still use it in conjunction with other track-cleaning cars about once a year for routine maintenance.

Willie

I also used Zap-A-Gap super glue to glue my nails in and if I had had Shingle nails, that's how I would have done it also. Proves the theory: Many ways to skin a cat!
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-07-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Mark D.

Quote Originally Posted by santafewillie View Post
    Ken (D&J) needs to do scenery! Watch his videos, trains run fine. Look at his build thread in his signature. Additionally he's been working on that damn bridge for a year now (Canyon Diablo).

Willie
    So, let him do scenery then. Not trying to stop him from doing so. My guess is that we all do exactly that which we want to do! I've seen his videos and watched his build of the bridge. He is an outstanding model railroader. However, I don't get why he came here to this thread on building track cleaning cars to say he is too busy to build a track cleaning car! O.K., I got it! Does he go around to other threads and state he is too busy to do those projects, too? Possibly he'd have more scenery done, if he didn't waste his time responding to threads he's to busy to do!
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    Mark D.

6. Default

I like the idea, in principle, and it seems to have been adopted by quite a few modelers over the years. I'm convinced I'll build one by next summer at the latest. I've just placed most of my window screen with hot glue and about to wire the rails and connect the feeders to the bus. I'm going to use alcohol and then a steel washer slid back and forth along the rail tops to get it ready to prove the track system before I begin to add the foam and ground-goop scenery combo. Lots of rock castings to make. But, to have one of these cars run around the layout once a week, mid-consist, seems to be the way to go.

I have an unused decoupling magnet I may use as a weight.
    Crandell

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@mnrr View Post
    A-Line offers a complete Masonite track tracking pad kit. Works great!

Greg
    Greg, What does a Masonite track tracking pad do?
    Mark D.

Quote Originally Posted by santafewillie View Post
    I also blunted the points on the nails for safety.

Name:	12-07-17 001.JPG 
Size:	665.8 KB 
ID:	64042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-07-17 004.JPG 
Size:	641.8 KB 
ID:	64043
    Willie
    I didn't blunt my nails, I like living on the edge! So far I have not stabbed myself, however those sharp points keep me on my toes!
    Mark D.

Typo, should be "Masonite track cleaning pad". I never professed to be a perfect typist.

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

Not to pick on my buddy Greg; as, typing is certainly not my Forte, either! I type with two fingers and one thumb. Spelling has always given me big trouble, too! Over the years, because of Spell Check, my spelling has improved. It's also come to my attention that I need to make what I say more clear. So, I get it! Before I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button, I take the time to re-read what I have just typed to see if what' I've said, makes sense. I don't post a comment until I'm convinced I have stated what I wanted to say and that at least it makes sense to me. Slow down, take a breath, a sip of coffee; or, whiskey, whatever, and ask yourself, is this what I wanted to say?

Sorry Greg; but, your spelling is always spot on!
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Mark D.