Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of the HORN?

Default Use of the HORN?

I understand that when backing up, the loco is supposed to give three short blasts and when going forward, to give two short blasts of the horn. Let me explain a scenario, The switcher runs forward and hooks onto a string of cars with a caboose at the other end. The train will be running forward; but, the engine will be running backwards, what is the proper signal?
    Last edited by NP2626; 11-07-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

2 blasts of the horn. The direction the switcher is facing is irrelevant as the "Train" is moving forward.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

3. Default

The 'forward' direction for a locomotive is the direction adequately illuminated by the operating headlamp, or the lamp that can be seen by other operators and other traffic in and around the tracks. If the locomotive is shoving a string of cars, it is reversing because its headlamp does not illuminate the direction of movement and the engineer must rely on hand signals or lamp signals from the conductor or brakeman. Even if the engine is a switcher with the long hood facing toward the consist, the train is only moving 'forward' when the engineer has an otherwise unobstructed view in this direction of travel. That would be reversing in relation to the long hood.

Or, if a locomotive is generally assumed to be operating at the 'head end' of a consist, then it doesn't really matter which way the hood or boiler is facing. All observers and crew will know which end of the consist has the power, the 'head end' power as it were, and they'll understand that when the non-powered end of the consist is approaching them that the locomotive is 'reversing'.
    Crandell

As I understand it Mark, a single short blast indicates that a moving train has come to a stop. With the Tsunami decoders I have in most of my engines you can set certain CV's to have all of those different sounds operate according to speed steps of the throttle and still retain the manual control via the buttons when required.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

That's what I was figuring; but, wanted to be sure. Thanks Chet, Crandell and Toot!
    Mark D.

6. Default

Depends. Is it a train or is it a switch engine?

If its a switch engine then forward is the way the engine is facing.
    If its a train then forward is the way the train is authorized and reverse is the other way.

If you look at a rule book two long blasts (not short) means release the brakes, proceed (doesn't actually say anything about "forward"). "Proceed" means in the direction authorized. Switch engines and work trains don't have a specified direction. Trains do.
    Three short blasts means when standing back up. It is given in response to a back up signal from the conductor.

Two short blasts doesn't mean go forward, its just an answer to any signal there is no defined answer for.

On the other hand, if its a passenger train with a communicating signal hooked up through the train, two blasts means, when standing start, and three blasts means, when standing, back up. Sounds like you are confusing the communicating signal with the whistle signals.
    Dave H.

Modeling the Philadelphia and Reading in 1900-1905
    Wooden cars and iron men

What brand of sound decoders are in your Locos, Mark?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Not sure how this applies to the push pull commuter trains where the power is on one end. It goes into the city with the loco leading the way but comes back out with the passenger cars leading the way. Would the engineer seat dictate what the front end is?
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

Thanks, I will start using long blasts when going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1905 View Post
    Depends. Is it a train or is it a switch engine?

If its a switch engine then forward is the way the engine is facing.
    If its a train then forward is the way the train is authorized and reverse is the other way.

If you look at a rule book two long blasts (not short) means release the brakes, proceed (doesn't actually say anything about "forward"). "Proceed" means in the direction authorized. Switch engines and work trains don't have a specified direction. Trains do.
    Three short blasts means when standing back up. It is given in response to a back up signal from the conductor.

Two short blasts doesn't mean go forward, its just an answer to any signal there is no defined answer for.

On the other hand, if its a passenger train with a communicating signal hooked up through the train, two blasts means, when standing start, and three blasts means, when standing, back up. Sounds like you are confusing the communicating signal with the whistle signals.
    Mark D.

Toot, I have SoundTraxx and TCS Sound decoders.

Quote Originally Posted by tootnkumin View Post
    What brand of sound decoders are in your Locos, Mark?
    Mark D.