Modell Railroad Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Prefer Sound or Standard Non-sound DCC Locomotives?

Chet: Great video of your R-1 pulling that freight through the countryside. Nice color theme used on the Northern Pacific locomotive.

I play a tape of ALCO locomotives when at the work bench (relaxing, crazy hey!) or as background sounds when visitors come to see the layout.

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

Call me picky if you want, but for me Sound is a must! As someone said a bit earlier in the post, model railroading is about being able to immerse yourself in the scene, and while controlling the locomotives with the speed and operations is cool, having that sound as a part of the "feel" completes it.

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by tootnkumin View Post
    I think Tony might be referring to the ones that run past his back door.
    Ah ya naturlic. Now your comment also makes more sense.

I like sound.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

Ran some trains this afternoon and like Chet I am a ALCO fan and love listening to my Milwaukee Road ALCO when pulling 13 fully loaded ore cars. On the mainline line I ran a C&NW GP-9 with custom sound along with the ALCO. It was great to hear the locomotives.

I will admit that the locomotives sound was slightly muted but still realistic. Locomotives with sound where parked on a siding or on several spur tracks, but remained muted.

Like NP2626 says, "I like sound", but I don't over do it.

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horseman View Post
    Ah ya naturlic. Now your comment also makes more sense.
    My wife often tells me I don't make sense, but that's because we often have arguments about things we're both in agreement about.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

I find the whole sound thing personally to be a bit of a noisy gimmick. I'm an N scale guy and they sound quality from a tiny speaker is just not very impressive. Now that new BLI Paragon 3 sound thingy with a subwoofer is intriguing but I also find most sound equipped locomotives to be cost prohibitive. I can buy 2 DCC ready locos and even sometimes 3 for the cost of 1 with sound. I will probably buy a few to play around with but I like the little hum of those Kato engines and I usually have a video or something playing the background.

Even in HO scale, the speakers that come factory fitted, are not high quality. Price point is still a factor. Some of the sound decoders that are also factory fitted have not as many functions as the aftermarket ones provided by the same decoder maker .e.g Athearn's Tsunamis in their RTR line. I note that they are now saying that the Tsunami2 in their Genesis line and the Econami decoder in that RTR line are fully featured. They may be learning that if you offer a brand name decoder, that is what the customer expects and wants. Loco maker's "custom" ones will result in them going elsewhere.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

9. Default

So I think I read in an article or maybe it was a train show that I understood that you should adjust the master volume where you can here it from a range a 5 ft or less away. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I do. I do not want to hear it from the other side of the layout. I find the sounds are more enjoyable that way.
    Eric

" Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it"

10. Default

Yes, Eric, this was mentioned already. Pretty much every decoder arrives with factory settings unless a tech has intercepted it and fiddled with it because it was obviously faulty...prior to shipment to a customer. And then xe (latest non-gendered third person singular pronoun. ) forgot to do a factory restore to address 03 or whatever, which would bring the volume back to 'make 'em wince' level. Every decoder has a Master Volume CV (at least two for the QSI indexing decoders) which most of us know to reset soon after powering up a new locomotive. A very good starting point is exactly halfway through the range (1-255?) for volume. From there, I enter the CV's for all the more annoying, often neutral/idling, sounds and cut them almost in half again.
    Crandell