Modell Railroad Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornby by Arnold locomotives

After my positive experience I shall be buying their U28C's because they can be had for that same price of $47 ea.

I noticed the other day, a retailer here in Australia having a big sale on Hornby, but also Bachmann. The Bachmann stuff was mostly for kids, but I would suspect that the American lines, which are not Hornby's well established market might be among that smaller percentage of products, not doing so well against the usual suspects of the US market. Hard to break into against them, particularly with Bachmann already established.

Get them while you can seeing you're happy with them. Less than 1/3rd retail, hard to beat that.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Hobby economics lesson alert. Avert your eyes if you don't want to know where your goodies come from. (Includes Oz too.)

In HO Hornby has exited the North American market this past year. Last product was Rivarossi HO U28C that was well regarded. This means US Rivarossi is gone too.

Hornby Hobbies is publicly traded on minor UK markets. It just appointed a new CEO who was/is still the Owner of Oxford Die Cast. He has good ties with far east manufacturers,

Hornby Hobbies is a conglomerate that includes Arnold in N, Joef of France, Rivarossi and Ibertrain in the railway lines. It is doing very well with UK 4 mm (OO or 1:76 scale) in the UK. Other lines include Airfix plastic models, Scalextric Cars, Humbrol Paints and Corgi die cast miniatures. I think the also own Liliput in Germany. They had financial disaster with bad choices of souvenir and toy products for the 2012 London Olympics. They were severely impacted (as were many US model import companies) when their primary railway manufacturer Sanda Kan in Hong Kong went bankrupt and was largely taken over by Kader Holdings who own both US and UK Bachmann. They have had to scramble to find new factories, product manufacturing designers in China for the last 5-6 years with sometimes very poor results.

In spite of all this Hornby Hobbies only does about $75 million in gross Revenue.

Interesting but all contracts for products made in China, Sri Lanka and India are written for models to be paid for in US dollars. This leaves non-US companies (including Canadian Rapido?) with significant exchange rate exposure. Intermountain, Atlas, Athearn and Walthers are also in this same supply chain situation. Only Bachmann, through Kader owns factories outright in China.

We have had for a long time several manufacturers in Aussie who have made kits for local prototype. Some of those now offer some very good RTR examples of locos and rolling stock. But, once again, they come from you know where. I was talking to one of them a couple of years ago at our local show and mentioned that the production of all these models began at the same time as the GFC, when our $ rode very high. He told me about one of his lines, a QR loco that because of the gap between ordering etc, etc, and getting them for sale, he lost $AU40,000 because the $ had fallen back in the interim.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

I have been very pleased with them thus far. I was able to buy the 4 that I was interested in and the seller VRC Hobbies in NY sold a few for auction. I won a U28C last night for $31!!! before shipping. Again for the money I paid the value is incredible. If anyone is interested I will post links to the seller's listings on Ebay just let me know.