Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

PRR Modeler

Everyone - My daughter is going to the doctor to document her injuries. At the school tomorrow there is a meeting to see what they can do for the kid. My daughter is planning to refuse having him in the classroom. These days they care more about the 1 kid rather than the other 15 in the classroom. Of course this changes to finger pointing when something major happens then it's why didn't the teacher do more to prevent the problem. Can anyone say scapegoat? My wife has told her to document every incident and keep it handy. She was also advised to contact her union rep.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
She needs to call the police and report the assault. Without that, nothing will happen. The school would prefer to not have that happen for the sake of the reputation of the school. They would beg to keep a murder out of the news just to keep their name pure.

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Curt, you've gotten enough good advice from the others, I don't have anything useful to add - other than I'll add your daughter to my prayer list!

Not getting much done on the layout the past few days. There are too many large borderline-junk objects cluttering the trainroom, taking up space where I need to store the useful stuff (tools, etc.). I’m hoping that I can make a run to the county landfill on Saturday.

In the meantime, here is a ‘telescope’ view along a street in a run-down neighborhood, of steel mill buildings in the background:
AveryStreetWest04a_800x600.jpg

...G'nite!

GarryCBQ

Curt ... You are getting great advice. ... I think you should do "all of the above" ... Contact police, teacher's union , PTO, Local Board of Education, State Board of Education, Child Protective Services, parents of other kids. etc. ... All of them... I'm sure you can get a lot of support from the right people.

Ken (MD) .... I like that photo. It reminds me of when I was in Ecorse, MI next to National Steel's mill.

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman
Everyone - My daughter is going to the doctor to document her injuries. At the school tomorrow there is a meeting to see what they can do for the kid. My daughter is planning to refuse having him in the classroom. These days they care more about the 1 kid rather than the other 15 in the classroom. Of course this changes to finger pointing when something major happens then it's why didn't the teacher do more to prevent the problem. Can anyone say scapegoat? My wife has told her to document every incident and keep it handy. She was also advised to contact her union rep.

Evenin' folks... haven't been in for a while but have been skimming through comments.

Curt, your wife's advise is right on the money. I was a teacher for 32 years of my 48 years as a professional musician. During several years I was having a principal tell me to do things which were simple put, against the law. I would always tell him to put it in writing. He of course would get thoroughly ticked at me, but that would end the demands. He ended up being fired (was allowed to resign) after getting in a pi**ing match with the Superintendent of Schools and some board members. I would in each of these situations go back to my room and wright in a log exactly what happened and who said what. I found the log after I retired... It made some very interesting reading, it did! I also kept a log of every problem caused by students in my class and how it was handled. Both of these were done after advise form our Union Rep. BTW, it should be fairly obvious I am a supporter of Unions having personally benefited by their protection over the years.

The last classroom problem a bit similar to what your daughter is experiencing was with an eighth grader who refused to follow any school or classroom rules. After he was sent to the vice principal every day of class for a couple of weeks he refused to leave and told me I couldn't make him (Yeah Right!)! I asked for the vice principal to come to my room and was told he was busy... I told his secretary to make him unbusy or he might not like what was going to happen! He arrived and told the kid to get up and come with him. The kid started to refuse, got the look form both the vice principal and I and told that we would be moving him, Period!. He got up, grabbed his book bag and started to walk down the steps by me in my room. He suddenly slammed his book bag on the floor and made a fist like he was was going to hit me. I just stood my ground and told him to make the first one count because he wasn't going to get two! He backed down (I had a reputation from a couple other incidences, BTW). I was positioned to glance his blow away from my face and come up with my right hand and break his jaw! Yes I could have done that easily back then. The kid said to me, "You Hate me don't you!" I looked back and calmly said, "Yes." Then said that hate might be too strong a word, but a sure didn't like anyone who was a constant disruption in my class!

Since this was witnessed by the VP I would have had a legal right to "Defend " myself in the situation. He left with the Vice Principal, and was taken out of school by the local police. The kid was close to a PINS petition (Person in need of Supervision) anyway, and that was last time I ever saw the kid. I calmed myself and went back up to the front of the class, picked up an book and slammed it on one of the tables. The kids who were also impossible little monsters in that class. Looked like had filled their pants! I looked at them and said, "He wants me to like him!" Then said if you want me to like, then be likable for God's sake! Then we had a long talk about caring for each other and how we should treat each other. The next time they came in my room two days later, Every kid smiled at me and said hi! This happened every day for the rest of the term.... Actually they turned into my favorite 8th. grade class for the year....

Last edited by a moderator:

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Yikes, threatening to hit a child, for any reason is grounds for assault on a child. No excuse in any state that I know of. My wife worked in elementary and high schools all her career and knew of several instances were teachers careers were terminated and served sentences for striking a child. Same with another friend, PhD in special ed, numerous stories of outlandish, disruptive bully kids that teaches or school personnel thought they had the right to take down. Careers ended, sentences followed by civil suits costing them thousands. The kids may end up being suspended or moved to special needs environment, but there is never allowance for an adult striking a child or minor. Some kids know this and intentionally goad adults on looking for that lottery win.

Bruette

Good morning Everybody!

I have been busy, thank God.

I don't have time to catch up on all that I have missed, but I can say; God Bless us Everyone.

Have a great day Everybody!

22550028_10155130175278506_3018531624351471790_n.jpg

Raincoat2

Good morning everyone. 57 and sunny in SW MO. Windy and rainy weekend around the corner, but we need the rain.

Ken - very realistic street scene with the mills in the background. Nice to look at.

Our local library system has an annual fall book sale, and among other things I picked up the book "Nothing Like It in the World" by Steven Ambrose; the story of building the transcontinental railroad. Started reading it right away - seems like an interesting writing style. Even though I'm modeling a totally different part of the country (northeastern US) I am enjoying learning everything I can about rrs.

Have a good day everyone.

Genetk44

Yikes, threatening to hit a child, for any reason is grounds for assault on a child. No excuse in any state that I know of. My wife worked in elementary and high schools all her career and knew of several instances were teachers careers were terminated and served sentences for striking a child. Same with another friend, PhD in special ed, numerous stories of outlandish, disruptive bully kids that teaches or school personnel thought they had the right to take down. Careers ended, sentences followed by civil suits costing them thousands. The kids may end up being suspended or moved to special needs environment, but there is never allowance for an adult striking a child or minor. Some kids know this and intentionally goad adults on looking for that lottery win.

All of which certainly seems seems to be part of the problem today.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. A cup of black coffee please Flo. Starting the day off at 56 degrees with radar showing showers moving into the area.

Curt - You did get lot of advive. I sure hope that things work out for your daughter. One bad situation. Having this incident documented with the police will also be important.

Johnny
- You are so correct. Sometimes it takes me quite a while to finish a post in the morning with phone calls interrupting constantly. It was Justin.

Ken in MD - That is one sweet photograph you posted. Is it on your layout ?

Louis - Nice photo. Nice to see you back. Wondered what happened to you but I am sure that you're pretty busy.

Tried to post a photo of how fast mother nature can change things up here. Aspens are the last trees in this area to change color and on Wednesday they were all green and when I got home yesterday afternoon, they had turned to yellow.
Still am wondering why some photos upload and some don't. I have been able to upload a number of photos from the phone and then some won't. ????????

Here''s a rails picture for the day.

071a038b22d0c6c933e7603c0c7df03e.jpg

Later

GarryCBQ

Good morning ...

Johnny ... I read that book several years ago. It's a good one.

Louis ... That is a colorful UP locomotive. I wonder if UP had Lionel design the paint scheme. LOL

Chet ... I don't know about your problem posting photos. I'm doing it with Flickr, and it works for me.

Here is my NP 0-8-0

36755044826_02e95f8dd6_b.jpg

Bruette

Thank you Chet, no need to worry, I have found my rhythm for working. Naps, when needed have become a priority. My free time has been used to catchup on the MLB playoffs. Congratulations to the Dodgers fans, so sorry for the Cubs fan and me too. I wanted the series to go 7 games!

Garry I doubt Lionel designed it, but I would not doubt they may have inspired it, or maybe Tyco or some other model. No matter, I like it! :)

My oldest daughter is a special education teacher. I always get the kids with special needs in baseball. They require firm consistent discipline, fast paced education and even that is no guarantee. I'm lucky, at least the kids playing baseball want to be there. God help the teachers and thank God we have teachers willing to be on the front lines.

Violence is learned at home, more violence is not the solution.

Bachmann Trains posted this on Facebook this morning, I found it on YouTube to share with everyone. It kind of fits in with today's topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc

Now it's time for me to get ready for work.

Have a great day Everybody!

new guy

How do you train an animal?....PAIN! It's the fastest and most reliable method for animals of all kinds including children! Sadly out of style nowadays and LOOK what it gets us...2nd graders assaulting teachers..."unsat, unsat, un FRIKKING sat" as my Drill Sgt yousta say! What have WE let happen...?

rhoward

S.L.O.&W. Trainman

I do have a right to defend myself! That is clearly in NYS Law. He hits me, I can defend myself! I don't have the right to beat him up though. So he takes a swing at me in front of the Vice-Principal as a witness, I can take him down. No-one losses the right to defend themselves. I have put kids on the ground to stop dangerous fights over the years as well. That is neither abuse nor illegal. I was actually protecting other children as well as myself. We're talking about kids who are as big and strong as I am. BTW, I did not threaten to hit the child. I knew what I would do to protect myself! What you are talking about is the reason many schools have police officers in them. The police cannot hit a child either, but they can take them down if circumstances demand it.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning Everyone. Looks to be 60° and partly cloudy. Weather Underground describes it as "fair"? I generally look. Got back to the routine yesterday with the grocery/beer trek, and made several stops at nurseries etc., until my wife found the right priced potted mums at Lowe's. Not sure why we bother since they will be dead in a couple of months, but it is one of those things that just isn't worth disagreeing. Hauled some more "small" clothes to Goodwill, thus lightening up the load on my house foundation. Amazing what a woman can accumulate in the 36 years that we have lived here. Two weeks ago, we took six plastic sacks full of leftover kids clothes...our last one moved out in 2002! Next week we hope to make some small change at the second-hand bookstore. She's also eyeing our 1500+ record albums. I need to be sure that I convert all of them to digital storage if I haven't already.
Out in the train shed, I continued on my very frustrating build of a cast-pewter John Deere tractor. The equipment linkage parts are both delicate and bendable. They also don't super-glue readily. I have redone five of the eight parts at least twice each. GHQ supplies extra parts that I fortunately have not had to use yet! The paint is also not adhering too well. I don't know if it is the Badger Model Flex paint itself that I am using or the metal. The Kyrlon primer seems to have no issues. Ran a number of trains without any problems while waiting for things to dry. That's always a good thing.

Johnny - My workbench actually looks more cluttered than Chet's. That is one of the primary reasons that I am endeavoring to clean it up this week. The other main reason is so I know what project all of those little loose parts go to while I still remember!!!:confused:
Train Shed has more room for clutter!
Chet - I also revisited two other model railroads on this trip, so I have a trove of photos still to post. I like to see what others can do and I pick up an idea or two at all of them.
Homestead work around here is a twelve month a year thing. I really don't mind it. I can pace things out either as much or as little as I want. I look forward to the exercise and sunshine especially when gardening which I especially enjoy. Rain and snow are my only obstacles.
Garry - I have "soft drink" machines all over the layout, both the older "chest" types and the newer upright types. That along with figures and vehicles add character to a layout.
Greg -
Her trip is giving me some license to spend some additional $$$ on model railroad supplies
That's how it works around here, although I am more frugal now that I have about all that I can use.
Curt - Your daughter needs to gather up all of the suggested resources that have been suggested. I was fortunate enough to have gone o Catholic parochial schools for twelve years and those kind of kids either straightened up or were bounced out very quickly. And yes, corporal punishment was condoned and used by both parents and educators in those days. My kids went to a rural school where every bus driver had a paddle aboard their bus until 1998 at least. I never heard of anyone getting whacked, but just the fact that they had it kept everyone in line. Parents around here approved.
Ken in MD - I think that you have posted that picture before but I love it. The crowned road, grass between the sidewalk sections all add character to your layout. I had saved it before and put it in my "inspiration" folder.
Ken (D&J) - I echo what Gene posted. If parents would use some discipline at home, teachers wouldn't have to. If you do something bad, something bad is going to happen in return. When done properly early on, there is no need to continue for too long.

I use the term "soft drinks", even though "coke" regardless of what it actually is, is the more common terminology in Texas.
Here's a few more pictures from The Old Depot Museum in Vicksburg. Moving on now to the "O" scale layout.
10-12-17c 016.JPG10-12-17c 017.jpg
10-12-17c 017.jpg
You can see in all of the pictures the bottoms of the brackets on the wall above. They support shelves similar to the ones in the HO pictures to display railcars on. There isn't any displayed yet. This museum is relatively new, so not everything is in place yet.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie, who didn't remember to hit "quick reply" about an hour ago.

Bruette

einstein-messy-desk.jpg.png

On the other hand the best mechanics I have ever known have the most organized tool boxes and I have known many mechanics.

I guess what it comes down to is what ever works for you.

Bruette

Ok now that I am dressed and ready for work I only have a few minutes left.

Sometimes the best things I could say are best left unsaid.

That's all folks!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.