Modell Railroad Links

Page 91 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Quote Originally Posted by WJLI26 View Post
    Terry: It may interest you to know, that even when you are not subscribed to OnStar, the service monitors you use of the vehicle. When the wife's 2008 Caddie was due for service, I arranged to take it to the Caddie dealer. While driving over, on the morning of the appointment, I noticed the green on star light was on, although I have not subscribed to the service for over a year. When my turn with the Service advisor came up, he had all the recent diagnostic data, including tire pressure on his screen...now, where do you suppose they gleaned that data? The day following the visit, the wife complained that her settings had changed. There was nothing, that the dealer did, to change anything, they just changed the oil, and rotated the tires.
    I had planned to disconnect the system before the trial ran out, but I may have waited too long. Supposedly, all I have to do to disable it is unplug the connectors to the mirror. I wasn't happy they are tracking everything I do with the truck, but the very loud reminder my subscription is going to expire is a little beyond what I am willing to put up with.
    You're never too old to do something stupid.

Terry

Joe .... GE is $18.04 a share at the moment. It was over $30 / share a year ago. .... Thanks for remarking about the F3's.

Chet ... Sorry to hear your eyes are not as good as they were. It seams like you are doing a great job adding details such as the winterization hatch, and I was surprised you said that.

Willie ... Recall reading about the move to TX. I would bet the new owner (if there is one) will remain there.,,,, You downtown buildings look great.

Garry - I'm not going blind, but years ago when I was adding all of the small details I didn't have to think twice about it, but now I need to use a magnifier. It's just a pain in the butt and not as easy as it used to be. Yes, I'm whining.

Terry - I don't know about just unplugging On-Star from the mirror will work. Talking to a friend who is a mechanic and worked for a GM dealer, the On-Star system is tied into the vehicles computer and trying to disconnect it may shut down the vehicle. Also heard that from salesmen, but what do they know. I never tried that. My Buick had a little antenna on the rear window which I took off. It is now sitting under the spare tire in the trunk. The Silverado is going down the road so I could care less.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

4. Default

Good Morning everyone....!

Just saying hello before going to the clinic for blood tests.

Ken: Sorry about your loss.

Chet: Sorry about your eye sight starting to get a bit weaker. I'm in the same boat and I am considering buying one of those magnifying headsets for a X-mas present to myself. I have cataracts and think I start the removal process after the first of the year. I increase my work lighting for a better view.

Terry: I have the OnStar system in my Chevy truck and really need find no use for it and question its value. The oil change mileage is based on 15,000 miles between changes, synthetic or not, no way. Change at 4,000 miles. Phone too expensive. The door unlocking feature maybe worth some $$$.

Garry: Isn't railroad stock prices down in general due to pressure from the truck transportation sector?

More train room later today. Dullcote the last smoke stack and add soot. Will show some pictures when done.

Keep losing items on my work bench...glad I have two Exacto handles.

That's all for now.

Greg

My Track photo of the day!

##############
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

Willie - Those building are looking really good. Should really look sweet when more details are added. I would like to model an urban scene, but being that my railroad is set in a rural area, that ain't going to happen. Garry has a really good looking urban area.

Terry - I got those calls from On-Star when the one year (at that time) trial period was over and talk about a high pressure bunch of people. I got numerous calls from them. I did have a cell phone at the time and didn't need their service. I explained that On-Star didn't work in a lot of the places I traveled. Cell service was very spotty across Montana back then. I kept getting calls and got to the point that I asked them what they didn't understand, the N or the O and just hung up on them. Even today with the terrain we have where we live, cell service is not the best.

Greg - The eyesight really isn't bad except for close up work. I guess after having no problems years ago that I am spoiled. The magnifier solves the problem. Just an inconvenience. I have three of them around the house. One upstairs at my work bench, one down in the train room and one more that has escaped to some spot in the house I haven't found yet.
    Last edited by montanan; 11-14-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Greg. ... railroad stocks actually have performed well long term. Several years ago, I bought BNSF stock for $26 a share. About 8 years later, Warren Buffet’s Company bought it for $100 per share. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryCBQ View Post
    Greg. ... railroad stocks actually have performed well long term. Several years ago, I bought BNSF stock for $26 a share. About 8 years later, Warren Buffet’s Company bought it for $100 per share. Not bad.
    Wonder what Buffet is going to do when the pipelines are completed. Didn't he buy a lot of new tank cars?

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    Wonder what Buffet is going to do when the pipelines are completed. Didn't he buy a lot of new tank cars?
    The refineries are in numerous locations and many will continue to receive crude oil by rail.

9. Default

Garry: I better correct the financial guy who advise I don't heed.

I think he is looking long term and the worries about crude oil being carried by rail and the potential for an accident and the proposed long distance long pipe lines.

Maybe?

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

Just a quickie report on my club's v Fed Committee standoff. I'm becoming suspicious of which one is actually being the instigator, I am considering at this coming Thursday night's monthly meeting of just making a motion that the club investigate the procedure necessary of withdrawing from the Association. Cut out all the BS. My investigation, including speaking with the State Govt department by phone, can't find any confirmation of the huge penalties being promoted as being liable. The only confirmation is that the club comply with State requirements. As far a I can ascertain, we already are and have been for years. The Act that covers it has been in force since 1989, with only minor changes since. When the Special EGM rolls around, I'll put the motion to actually withdraw. My reason will be that the continuing saga is spoiling my enjoyment of the hobby (the SEGM is being held on a DCC running day, during my allotted running time).

Politics: Blaaaaahh!
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.