Modell Railroad Links

Page 92 of 100 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Good Afternoon All,

Today I read about a major Navy scandal that happened in Singapore and occurred over many years. It appears that a Singapore national overcharged the Navy for supplies and whatever else they needed. The same person provided money, alcohol, women and other perks to senior officers. It looks like some officers have pleaded guilty. Supposedly there are several admirals involved (I think they are retired now). I checked a couple of different sources because I figured it was FB BS.

We don't use Onstar. The government looks over our shoulder too much as it is.

Joe- A while back I saw a old video about getting a GG1 ready for a passenger train. Part of it was going thru the wash rack.

Garry- Interesting news about GE. Our local light rail uses Seimens locomotives. Great picture of your F3's. It must of been a pain for the CB&Q to keep the white/cream colored paint clean.

Terry- I hate it when a doctor does that.

VA Ken- I am very sorry for your friends loss.

Chet- Nice rail pic and GG1 pic.

I hope everyone has a good night.
    Curt Webb
    The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
    PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Good evening, 39 and dark outside. Think I'm going to restrict my posts to evening hours for a while. The wife thinks I'm spending too much time on the computer in the morning.

Curt: There was once a state of the art (in 1939), semi automated washer at the Sunnyside Pit, which was specifically designed to wash electric motors used in passenger service. Back then yard engines, such as the DD1 and the B1 were used to pull the trains from the station, through the washer and into the yard. Road power cut off in the station, and went directly to the pit. Somewhere along the line, this practice was discontinued and the current practice of keeping the road power coupled to the train, through the car washer was thought to be sufficient. I believe that the video you refer to was the washer at the pit.

Garry: Back in 2009, GE Stock was ranging between, $8.00, and $20 / share. I was buying cheap, and selling when I doubled my money. I stopped trading and went to Mutual Funds, but left GE on my Watch List, along with Pfizer. Neither has performed very well over the last nine years. If GE drops below $12, I may take a flyer on it. The company has a solid business core, and should be performing better than it has. CSX, on the other hand, is lagging because of all the bad publicity generated by HH. Right now, my choice would be UP and KCS.

Greg: Stock analysts and promoters are prone to giving bad advice. That's why I don't use a full commission brokerage. I can make my own mistakes. And a $5.00 trade is cheap. Bloomberg has an article on how by 2025, the US will out produce OPEC, Russia and other Oil Cartels, and dominate the market. Pipelines are running into all sorts of political and environmental opposition. Oil train accidents are overblown. Coal is Dead, and that has affected all railroads, however, there is more to transport other than coal.

Terry and Chet: Concerning OnStar, It's much more than a cell phone service, but since there are alternative technology's available, that are not limited to time spent in the car, I don't believe the cost is justified. Their sales people are extremely aggressive. I kept it active on the Caddy much longer than I should have, because my wife liked the security blanket aspect of it. I finally convinced her she didn't need OnStar, and didn't spend enough time in the car to justify Sirius -XM Radio. The whole tie it was active, maybe eight years, we had one unlock request, at the dealers, during a power failure, no less. And they initially wouldn't remotely unlock, because I forgot the damn password. Finally, with the assistance of the Service Manager, they unlocked the vehicle. Was not long after, that I wouldn't renew.

Cut the Homasote and Pink Foam for the latest section of benchwork, and glued it in place. It's curing now.

Have a good evening
    I survived the Penn Central

Howdy.

Information that may be useful to somebody department .

I was on the phone with IHC Hobbies in Houston today because they have replacement parts I need for a Mantua locomotive. I was told they will be selling via their website some trains at sharply discounted prices because of minor damage caused by hurricane Harvey floods. It is the boxes that are damaged. They hope to have the online sale begin in December . I donít know what items will be on sale.

Another piece of information. Chet may be interested. Athearnís website shows their passenger cars now include the Northern Pacific Loewy paint scheme. These are both heavyweight and streamlined cars . It is the same cars they have been selling for a very long time, but I have not seen them with these colors before. I might consider the observation car myself.

Club update. The voting papers for the Federal Com arrived today, along with revisions to the Fed Constitution. None of which address concerns. An email from my Club "suggesting" who to vote for in that election to eventually, if elected, get the changes needed to happen, will still require at least 12 months to get done. e.g. a new constitution after loads of consultation. I was going to put in a notice of a motion for tomorrow night to propose investigating the disassociation of the club from the central organisation and short circuit what can only be a drawn out and circuitous route, without any guarantees of success. I'll still take it with me to gauge the mood of the meeting. I know there's quite some support for that solution, so we'll see. As I've said there's only 4 associated clubs in the country out of many others that do this. As far as I can see, the Associations greatest value is to international visitors to find an Australian organisation to contact, but then only in a handful of States and Cities. Is that worth the hassle, work and delays?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

All that just to run trains with a few friends, huh?
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

Quote Originally Posted by D&J RailRoad View Post
    All that just to run trains with a few friends, huh?
    Yep! Wan'na join, so I can quote you?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

The stuff will be 40% off, as-is, where-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarryCBQ View Post
    Howdy.

Information that may be useful to somebody department .

I was on the phone with IHC Hobbies in Houston today because they have replacement parts I need for a Mantua locomotive. I was told they will be selling via their website some trains at sharply discounted prices because of minor damage caused by hurricane Harvey floods. It is the boxes that are damaged. They hope to have the online sale begin in December . I don’t know what items will be on sale.

Another piece of information. Chet may be interested. Athearn’s website shows their passenger cars now include the Northern Pacific Loewy paint scheme. These are both heavyweight and streamlined cars . It is the same cars they have been selling for a very long time, but I have not seen them with these colors before. I might consider the observation car myself.
    You're never too old to do something stupid.

Terry

Good morning. It's clear and 34.
    You're never too old to do something stupid.

Terry

Good morning Everybody!

I'm still busy, but thankful I can be.

I miss my trains and my trains buddies, but in time life will return to a new normal.

Have a great day Everybody and God Bless you all!
    Keep High Balling, Be Safe & Have Fun!
    Thread: Introducing Kids to Model Trains
    Thread: My 4th of July Trains - Thread: My Lionel Standard O Trains

Louis

10. Default

Good morning everyone. 53 and raining like crazy. Should clear off this afternoon and hit 60. Time for a cup of coffee.

MOH and I had the day off yesterday, but part of that was spent sitting in a dentist's chair. New dentist for us - got more than a little perturbed at our previous one. This guy is great and we like the dental hygienist as well. We both have some dental work that needs to be done over the next few months.

Willie - nice photos of your structures. I build the Corner Cafe too. Mine's still empty - either need to find some scale furniture to go inside or else some good decals for the windows.
    Chet - trading the mower deck for the snow plow - it's always something, isn't it?
    Beach Bum - My wife doesn't mind so much that I'm on the forum, but that's about all I do on the computer in the mornings - keep it short. Scatter other stuff throughout the day.
    Terry - How does that old Albert King blues song go - - "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all"

Made significant progress on the landscaping of the hill in back of the town and ballasting the mainline track back there. I still stink at ballasting but i think I'm getting better. Started painting the eyebrows and other architectural features of MR-V. As Willie (and others) knows, there are 50 or so windows in that structure! This is gonna take a while. Also, I see a way to expand the layout with an additional narrow peninsula. Shhhh - don't tell my wife (the land baron).

Have a good day everyone.
    Johnny (aka "Raincoat2")
    The New York Central still runs!