Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Build Lumber Loads and Cargo Containers

1. Default How to Build Lumber Loads and Cargo Containers

Here is a great way to build easy and inexpensive lumber loads for your centerbeam flat cars. Also included is a method for making intermodal cargo containers with card stock and a printer.

Subscribed.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

3. Default

I have bought (so far) seven of the new Wheels of Time HO lumber load 2-pack kits:

I'm moving so with everything getting packed up it may be a few months before I can set up a work bench and get them painted and assembled.

In addition, I've built up here some RS lumber load kits built up into stacks or bunks - three lengths, 8, 12 and 16 feet long:

The ends are pretty uneven so you can't get as closely spaced bunks as Blaine's or WOT lumber stacks, at least not without sanding the ends move even. But from photo's I've seen of lumber loads, it's not unusual for them to shift.

Stacked onto a 60' Intermountain flat car (two kits required to get to this many stacks:

4. Default

Hi Ron

Here's mine, I did it almost the same way except my loads are individual instead of one big block, I founded more realistic.
    This was my first try, now the black band are much smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	63032

5. Default

Scale tie-downs and straps for securing loads? If yer gonna "model"...What is the preferred method for HO and N scale?

Great work and thanks for any info.
    "I'm not building a layout per-se, I'm just playing with trains all-day!"

6. Default

riogrande: Lookin' good.

7. Default

Lloyd, yes, banding is a little heavy, but they look nice. How do you keep all these in place?

8. Default

new guy: I don't, but if I were going to, the best I have seen in N and HO is done with EZ Line.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RonsTrainsNThings View Post
    new guy: I don't, but if I were going to, the best I have seen in N and HO is done with EZ Line.

Thank You, I was thinking thin ribbon, obtainable at any craft store but EZ Line I will look into.

Good stuff, keep it coming.
    "I'm not building a layout per-se, I'm just playing with trains all-day!"

I bought some lumberloads on ebay (I'll have to find the sellers name), Starting bid is usually $8 and they mostly seem to go for that or not much more). They are made from solid white pine, built up in strips and covered in glued on paper print offs, Nothing fancy. I modified (hopefully enhanced) them by sealing the paper, then cutting along the horizontal joint lines with a wide blade wood chisel and the verticals with a narrow blade. Finished them off with Rustoleum clear gloss (satin may suit your taste) to produce a plastic effect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05089.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	63033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05090.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	63034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05091.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	63035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05096.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	63036

The tiedowns used on these cars are usually wire cables with small right angle pads on the top row to protect the lumber from the wire. Wind up tensioners are fitted along the sills. Yet to be done.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.