Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 58° and clear. Temperatures in the mid-80's for two more days then mid-90's for at least a week. No rain in the forecast at all for the next ten days. Been nice here, I've used the grill for supper for the last seven days! Chicken thighs, rib-eyes, brauts, hamburgers, spareribs, something else that I forgot and a pork roast. Tonight we'll go out for our anniversary celebration. Back to the grill tomorrow with salmon.
Just puttered about in the train shed yesterday and took some pictures for Chet. While I still haven't completed everything yet, it's a general idea of what I have been posting about for the last few weeks.
09-10-17 001.JPG09-10-17 005.JPG
09-10-17 007.JPG09-10-17 012.JPG
Some others didn't turn out as well, so I will retake them today.

Garry - Very nice looking Geep.
Joe - Wow! those are really old cars. I have only a couple of those with the cast metal floors that are now retired to a box because I changed era's.
Sherrel - I agree on the weather idiots standing out in the wind and rain. Saw one fall on his a$$ yesterday while I was passing through the living room. I am not as transfixed as my wife is regarding weather watching that's not close.
Chet - Those train videos were quite interesting. Of note to me of course was the three ATSF boxcars on the Logan Valley.
Ken - Sounds like a fun trip. I like to get out and drive occasionally, but don't normally go that far unless I am planning to. Next big one for me is October 7, 700+ miles from home to Gulf Shores AL for vacation. Normally takes me ten hours plus rest/meal stops. Higher speed limits here in the South. I use four wheels instead of two.
Johnny - Very familiar with Discount Model Trains. Back in the kit days, they had far more inventory though. Owner Jim, Wayne, Dave and another fellow whose name I don't recall are great guys to deal with. I'll be visiting them in a few days as well, as I need some scenery supplies (won't stop there!). Been doing business with them for 26 years now. I do miss my old LHS in Denton though!

Everybody have a great day and remember 9/11 and those first responders who are no longer here.

Willie

Raincoat2

Willie - The prices at Discount Model Trains are not at all bad, either. Met Dave and Wayne (I think). Yes, very nice guys. When you go there, tell them "Hi" from me again - They may remember me 'cause I told them we drove 485 miles to get there :) If we're ever back in the area I'd definitely stop there again. They don't have a website for some reason, but people posted good reviews which is the reason I stopped there. That and the Kolache Factory on Preston!!:eek:

GarryCBQ

Our memories of September 11, 2001.

Shelley and I were in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We spent the day watching the horrors on TV. About 50 trans-Atlantic flights landed in Halifax that day because US airports were closed. The Canadians were very good at accommodating the thousands of stranded people.
We had flown via American Airlines from Nashville to Halifax with a change of flights in Boston on September 9th. Thinking back, we realized some of the 9/11 terrorists must have walked in the same airport only 2 days later. On September 10th, we were on a bus tour and learned of tragedies in the past affecting Nova Scotia. There was a Swiss Air crash off the coast a number of years prior. Many Titanic victims are buried in Halifax. In WW I a munitions ship exploded in the harbor which burned down the city and killed about 3000 people. The fishing village, Peggy’s Cove, was named after a girl who was the only survivor of an 1800’s ship wreck. .... We did not know, of course, we would be witnessing a major tragedy with our hotel TV the next day.

On September 12th, we decided we would return home as soon as we could. Flights were unavailable, and we really were afraid to fly at that time. We considered renting a car one-way to the US, but it would cost over $3,000 to do so at that time. We considered joining other people from the US who were going to charter a bus to Chicago. Finally, we decided to take the train. Several days later we road Via's Ocean to Montreal. Then we road a Via train to Toronto. (Via is Canada's rail system similar to Amtrak here.)
We spent the night at a Toronto hotel with plans to take the train to Windsor at the border with Detroit. We cancelled that plan when we learned highway border crossings into Detroit were taking about 12 hours. We stayed a second night in Toronto, and the next morning we boarded the Amtrak train that crossed through Michigan to Chicago. Where the train crossed the border to Port Huron, MI, all passengers had to get off the train to ride busses to go through immigration. There were very long lines on the highway entering Port Huron over the bridge. The train was several hours late after that.

When the train arrived at Flint, MI we got off, and we rented a car. We stopped in Detroit area briefly, and then drove to Nashville, TN. We picked up our car which had been parked at the airport all of that time, and we drove home.

Below are photos I took from the dome observation car of VIA's Ocean:

35628101451_df9fe47c79_b.jpg

35760002035_c7ac4e3fe5_b.jpg

Boris

Beach Bum
Good morning. 54° and clear. It's too warm to turn on the heat yet, but the house feels quite cold this morning. 44° overnight, according to Rutgers University's local weather station.

Willie: While looking through my storage boxes, I found a few more Roundhouse Cars with Metal floors. Two box cars, painted for Penn Central, which dates them to 1968 - 1969. BTW, nice work on the barn and the fence.

Everybody have a great day and remember 9/11 and those first responders who are no longer here.

Don't forget the Military Personnel who were killed at the Pentagon, the Passengers and Crew of the four hijacked aircraft, and the People working at the Twin Towers, who also gave their lives that day.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. 54 degrees to start off the day.

Terry - Thanks for the photo. This is a day to remember.

Ken - Sounds like you are in love with that Harley. Quite the trip.

Garry - Quite the situation you were in on 9/11. Nice photos.

Johnny - Quite the trip you had. Always nice to find a hobby shop when you travel. For years that ws the only way I could get model railroad supplies.

Willie - You are moving along nicely with the scenery. In the video, there was also an ATSF flat car. You have a point about getting all of the cars off of the main line. Walked down to the train room looked at all the cars and turned around and went out and sat on the porch. Maybe the train fairy will put them back where they came from. But then, maybe not.

Gotta head to the doctors office this morning for my annual physical, which will also be my flight physical. Glad that the doctor is qualified to do both.

Here's a rai photo for the day.

TrainTracksPhoto.jpg

Later

GarryCBQ

Willie .... Your rural scenes look great !

Johnny ... Sounds like you had a good trip in TX. Good to see you back here.

Ken D&J .... Good to hear about your trip to Detroit .

Chet... I hope the physical goes well.

It looks like remnants of Irma will pass through here as was the case with Harvey and other hurricanes in past years.

Last edited by a moderator:

PRR Modeler

Afternoon all,

We survived the night. The storm came much closer than expected. Minor damage around house but surrounded by standing water. One neighbor actually had home flooding. I can't get hold of Phil because T-Mobile is ooc, but our century link router is working. Just got power back 20 minutes ago. We lost it at 9 pm last night. Finally drinking a cup of coffee. Has anyone talked to Phil?

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Afternoon all,

We survived the night. The storm came much closer than expected. Minor damage around house but surrounded by standing water. One neighbor actually had home flooding. I can't get hold of Phil because T-Mobile is ooc, but our century link router is working. Just got power back 20 minutes ago. We lost it at 9 pm last night. Finally drinking a cup of coffee. Has anyone talked to Phil?

I tried to call him earlier, and then tried you a few minutes later. No answer from you or him!
I am glad to see that you are back on and safe!
My former friend's wife, Valerie in N. Ft Myers, is safe. She said only damage was a 2 plus foot "Big" pine tree that came down just missing her house and pool enclosure.
All very lucky.. Need to check on my cousin in Sebring.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Curt - Glad to hear you made it through the storm without any major damage. I have been trying to find out how the keys made it through the storm, but they have no power and cell towers are down. Could be what has happened to Phil. The keys are having to inspect all of the bridges for any possible damage before they can do any kind of relief work from what I am hearing. From very spotty news reports I can find, I am also trying to contact a friend in Interlachen, FL with no results.

GarryCBQ

Curt .... Glad you are okay with minimal damage to your home. ..... I hope Phil has a similar report.

Beady

Curt - Glad to hear you made it through the storm without any major damage. I have been trying to find out how the keys made it through the storm, but they have no power and cell towers are down. Could be what has happened to Phil. The keys are having to inspect all of the bridges for any possible damage before they can do any kind of relief work from what I am hearing. From very spotty news reports I can find, I am also trying to contact a friend in Interlachen, FL with no results.
Key West received minimal damage, according to Google. The eye crossed 20 miles to the east; from there to Key Largo it was worse, but apparently not as bad as feared. The big problem is that the aquaduct from the mainland broke somewhere, so drinking water will be problematic.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Boris

Beach Bum
Curt: Good to hear it wasn't that bad, and that y'all are OK Hope Phil is OK, along with a few family friends and a whole bunch of retired Railroaders down there. In the aftermath of Sandy, it took them four days to restore power, three days for cell phone service and eight days for land line phone.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Key West received minimal damage, according to Google. The eye crossed 20 miles to the east; from there to Key Largo it was worse, but apparently not as bad as feared. The big problem is that the aquaduct from the mainland broke somewhere, so drinking water will be problematic.

We are just about 20 miles east of Key West on Big Torch Key. According to my friends who use the place, the additional upgrades they made during their remodeling exceed hurrican standards. Being that the main living area is 16 feet off the ground, I imagine that there shouldn't be much to worry about. When I first saw the place after all the renovations, I didn't recognize it.

Thanks for the info. We're not hearing very much up here. I have been doing some searching on the internet, but still not a lot coming out of the keys with the entire state having been covered by the storm.

Beady

We are just about 20 miles east of Key West on Big Torch Key. According to my friends who use the place, the additional upgrades they made during their remodeling exceed hurrican standards. Being that the main living area is 16 feet off the ground, I imagine that there shouldn't be much to worry about. When I first saw the place after all the renovations, I didn't recognize it.

Thanks for the info. We're not hearing very much up here. I have been doing some searching on the internet, but still not a lot coming out of the keys with the entire state having been covered by the storm.
I'm having the best luck by googling for Key West. The stories generally talk about the rest of the chain after the first couple of paragraphs.

chessie_system3

Good morning fellers! I'm back! I do hope and pray that none of you have been adversely affected by the hurricanes here recently. I took a leave from the hobby these past few months to put my focus on other important matters I have been quite the busy bee these past few months. I'm awaiting approval of my packet for the Army Reserves. I figured I am still young enough that I might as well finish what I started. Pepsi has turned into a full on nightmare. I had my coworker and Marine veteran up and quit. So it's been a drag out work my butt off to compensate for the loss of my coworker. As for my sacred sheet layout I haven't added anything but I've been plotting my next moves on it. I ran my trains for a few hours Sunday. My switching GP35 had the front coupler mess up to the point I couldn't hook a car with it. Repaired that. Gave the track a really good cleaning and I was off and running. I do hope everyone is having a good day. It's raining here in West by God Virginia.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Raincoat2

Good morning everyone. A big cuppa joe and a powdered doughnut, please. 54 and cloudy here in SW MO - we'll have clouds from Irma but probably no rain, and we need it - we're approaching 30 days without rain here. Sunny days ahead.

Hope forum members who were in Irma's path are okay, even if your property isn't. Property can be rebuilt, restored, or re-bought - - body injuries and death are usually permanent!

No progress in the train room. Son and granddaughter came over last night for dinner since DIL is out of town. So we had a good time eating, talking, swinging in the hammock, and watching trains run for a little while.

Have a good day everyone.

GarryCBQ

Well, well, well .......... Look who is here .... Justin !... Glad to see you! ........ It is very good of you to sign up for the Army Reserves.... Hopefully, you will have model railroad time in the months ahead.

PRR Modeler

Good Morning,

This needs to be quick since I am on my phone data plan. Our Century link router is down and maybe for a couple of days. Today we are cleaning up from the storm. Daughter's family still doesn't have power so they will be coming over later for some AC and showers. I still haven't been able to get hold of Phil. Talk at you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.