Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. Started off at 45 degrees this morning and of course with a lot of smoke. Can't hardly see the foothills let alone the mountains. Should get into the low 80's.

Eric - Saw the refinery photos on the phone last night and really enjoyrf them a lot more on the 'puter. Nice work.

Curt - Like the Bowser locomotive. Wouldn't mind trying to find an undecorated unit to paint for the LV, but I doubt they make one in DC only. Bowser has been receiving some outstanding reviews on their locomotives.

Phil - Looking at the forecasts, you better get out of Dodge. Hoping the best for you and all the folks in the sunshine state. I do own a home in the keys that my grandfather built in the 30's. It has survived numerous hurricanes and hope it make it through this one.

Willie - I do still have a lot of Floquil on hand, but I never had the two green colors for the North Coast Limited. I have heard that Tru-Colors has good reviews. Guess I'll be bringing the air brush out of retirement. Haven't used it in over 15 years. I think I know where it is.

Louis - Sounds like you really know the ins and outs of crabs. Wine coolers, not for me either. Prefer craft beer or whiskey.

Ken - Glad you got the sound figured out DCC is just too complicated for me.

Here's the rail photo for the day.

TrainTracks15664.jpg

Later

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Good morning ... Temps have cooled somewhat: now in the high 80's and low 90's for awhile.
Been busy digging out boxes from the garage to see how much HO stuff I have remaining. I sold off most of it many years ago when I went heavy into O-scale and On3.

I am pi**ed that Weather Underground changed their format. Changes also wiped out my favorites as well.

Haven't felt very good in several days and have had occasional bouts of chest pains inside about where some of the "plumbing connections" were made. I don't like that at all. Doctor appointment on Friday.

Curt and Phil -- You two stay out of harms way!

Eric .. Nice work on the lighting - and the structure!

JOE - Nice looking loco!

TERRY - Concerning your "planned" sound install? Please re-read your signature! LOL

Bruette

Louis - Wished that I lived closer...crab cakes not wine coolers!

Willie I wish I could share them with you, there is nothing better than a crab cake made from home steamed and picked crab meat. Commercially steamed and picked crabs are not seasoned.

I'm taking bets on how long the wine coolers last. 5-1 they are gone before new years.

Louis - Sounds like you really know the ins and outs of crabs. Wine coolers, not for me either. Prefer craft beer or whiskey.

Here's the rail photo for the day.

View attachment 63092

Later
Growing up in the wetlands of southeast Baltimore I have been up close and personal with those mean little things. I have no problem steaming them live. They are very aggressive and will grab onto anything that comes close. I ice mine down before steaming them. Then they move to slow to grab anything and it keeps them from attacking each other in the pot.

When I have guests that have never seen one alive I put one on the ground and watch the guest/s scramble to get away from them. If you pick them up from behind they cant grab onto you. If one does grab you it usually won't let go, even after you kill it you have to pry open the claw.

When it comes to the commercial crab industry as a whole I know very little, but every time I go to buy them my education expands. The guy I buy from was telling me all the scams some people run, I had no idea. I would not know because I have never bought live crabs anywhere else than Fruitland. He has great Maryland produce too. With all the farms disappearing for housing developments I wonder how long that will last?

My son-in-law is a craft beer fan. He brings me all kinds to taste. The Ales are nasty, but any lager or pilsner beer is good for me. I never tasted a bad whiskey either. Jameson is my favorite, but any whiskey is good.

That reminds me; a craft beer maker on the Eastern shore is making National Premium Beer again. When G. Heileman Brewing left Baltimore they stopped making it. This guy bought the recipe and is making it again. Dollar for dollar I can't find a better beer. It's a true German style Lager. For $20 for a case of 24 bottles you can't beat it.

Bruette

Haven't felt very good in several days and have had occasional bouts of chest pains inside about where some of the "plumbing connections" were made. I don't like that at all. Doctor appointment on Friday.

I hope you feel better, maybe it is just healing? Keep us posted.

Beady

Willie I wish I could share them with you, there is nothing better than a crab cake made from home steamed and picked crab meat. Commercially steamed and picked crabs are not seasoned.

I'm taking bets on how long the wine coolers last. 5-1 they are gone before new years.

Growing up in the wetlands of southeast Baltimore I have been up close and personal with those mean little things. I have no problem steaming them live. They are very aggressive and will grab onto anything that comes close. I ice mine down before steaming them. Then they move to slow to grab anything and it keeps them from attacking each other in the pot.

When I have guests that have never seen one alive I put one on the ground and watch the guest/s scramble to get away from them. If you pick them up from behind they cant grab onto you. If one does grab you it usually won't let go, even after you kill it you have to pry open the claw.

When it comes to the commercial crab industry as a whole I know very little, but every time I go to buy them my education expands. The guy I buy from was telling me all the scams some people run, I had no idea. I would not know because I have never bought live crabs anywhere else than Fruitland. He has great Maryland produce too. With all the farms disappearing for housing developments I wonder how long that will last?

My son-in-law is a craft beer fan. He brings me all kinds to taste. The Ales are nasty, but any lager or pilsner beer is good for me. I never tasted a bad whiskey either. Jameson is my favorite, but any whiskey is good.

That reminds me; a craft beer maker on the Eastern shore is making National Premium Beer again. When G. Heileman Brewing left Baltimore they stopped making it. This guy bought the recipe and is making it again. Dollar for dollar I can't find a better beer. It's a true German style Lager. For $20 for a case of 24 bottles you can't beat it.
When I was stationed on Kodiak, AK, King Crab was all that was in everybody's freezer. Surprisingly, since it's considered a delicacy everywhere else, it's a junk fish and can be caught without a license, three per person per day. It's such a common meal on Kodiak that, at the time, Big Macs were in higher demand.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Started prepping the outside and I will finish on Friday with the help of my son. Thankfully for now the storm appears to be trending to the east. Good for us, bad for others. This afternoon I finished putting in the project sub-floor bracing and I cut out templates for cutting the thin styrene "concrete" floor. I found some styrene sheets last night with the poured concrete look but I would need 2 sheets which would be $25 plus shipping, so I'm going with the old standby of thin styrene for sale signs. I also read last night a modeler said Rustoleum Bisque is excellent for a concrete color so I will give that a try after the storm.

Eric- Excellent lighting project. It looks professional.

Joe- Nice looking loco.

Sherrel/Terry- Thank you for your well wishes.

Willie/Chet- I guess I don't count! I'm just kidding;)

Louis- I have never been a fan of crab or lobster but I can do some damage to fresh shrimp. When we were stationed in Charleston (1979-1981) we got fresh shrimp almost every week and it was dirt cheap.

20170906_141913.jpg20170906_141330.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Flip

Thanks for all the well wishes. Have two invitations to spend the storm out of state. One in South and the other in North Carolina. Waiting to see. Either way this witch goes we will get hit. Depends on steering winds.

Prayers for all.
Phil

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Curt -
I guess I don't count!
Naw! You're a Pennsy modeler. Seriously, be safe and dry. I actually should have realized that you might be affected as you're actually south and east of Phil. I routed our trucks for a few years through Florida to all kinds of building supply companies and I know your state as well as Texas. We went to a lot more places in Orlando, Sanford and of course The Villages as well as many other small towns.

Willie

Flip

WILLIE- CURT is about 35 miles S W ,by road, maybe 25/30 miles as the birds fly. Can't tell as my maps are old[. NO,don't have a GPS and wouldn't know how to use the darn thing. Hey, I run my trains on DC. and still have trouble working my VCR.
FERVENT Prayers for all. Modelers as well as others.. I DO NOT DISCRIMINATE .

Phil

Beady

Phil, that makes me feel good, just bought my first Smart Phone. I'll probably be smarting.
Meh. I've got a Samsung 8+, and I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my tablet. For that matter, I haven't used my laptop in more than a month. The latest generation of phones have batteries that can last 8+ hours (that is, you can use them for 8 hours or more), they can do anything a computer can do, and they're more versatile than a computer.

There was a time when I said I wouldn't bother reading books on a computer until reading on the toilet was practical. Guess what I'm doing right now?

Bruette

When I was stationed on Kodiak, AK, King Crab was all that was in everybody's freezer. Surprisingly, since it's considered a delicacy everywhere else, it's a junk fish and can be caught without a license, three per person per day. It's such a common meal on Kodiak that, at the time, Big Macs were in higher demand.

I'm not a fan of King Crab, not much taste to me. Reminds me of that imitation crab meat.

Have you had a Blue Crab? He is not a nice fellow, but it is good eating!

blue-crab.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Big Mac. Too much bread, not enough meat, but I love the Quarter Pounder, hold the cheese.

Louis- I have never been a fan of crab or lobster but I can do some damage to fresh shrimp. When we were stationed in Charleston (1979-1981) we got fresh shrimp almost every week and it was dirt cheap.

I love shrimp too! I love all shellfish, but gout severely limits how much I can eat.

I buy 12-18 count USA shrimp for $6.95 per pound when it is on sale. I think that is pretty cheap. Good thing it's cheap my son can put those things away!

Beady

I'm not a fan of King Crab, not much taste to me. Reminds me of that imitation crab meat.

Have you had a Blue Crab? He is not a nice fellow, but it is good eating!
Nah, I've never really been into seafood; being a Michigan native, I'm more into beef (and bacon - but I hate pork chops).

I'm not a fan of the Big Mac. Too much bread, not enough meat, but I love the Quarter Pounder, hold the cheese.
Well, wait until you live in a place where you can't get either. People who went to Anchorage for a day or two always carries an empty suitcase to bring back cold burgers for friend and family. Then, finally, a Dairy Queen opened. It was the only fast food on the island, and the Grand Opening was in late October; the line to get in was three hours long, even though a freezing rain was falling.

I love shrimp too! I love all shellfish, but gout severely limits how much I can eat.

I buy 12-18 count USA shrimp for $6.95 per pound when it is on sale. I think that is pretty cheap. Good thing it's cheap my son can put those things away!
I kind of like shrimp, and I don't mind lobster, but I'd rather have something else if I have the choice.

GarryCBQ

Curt, Phil and Everybody else in Florida our prayers are with you.

Ditto Louis's comment about the hurricane approaching Florida.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I thought about celebrating our anniversary with a trip to US Virgin Islands. That would have us there this week with a catagory five hurricane. .We are glad we are instead spending the week with family in Michigan.

Cheers, everybody.

Beady

Ditto Louis's comment about the hurricane approaching Florida.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I thought about celebrating our anniversary with a trip to US Virgin Islands. That would have us there this week with a catagory five hurricane. .We are glad we are instead spending the week with family in Michigan.

Cheers, everybody.
Anywhere near Lansing or Detroit? I could come over and drink your beer.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Curt, Phil and Everybody else in Florida our prayers are with you.

I just looked at FL map to see where Curt and Phil live. I have two second cousins in Orlando and a first cousin and extended family in Sebring. One of the second cousins worked ONE block from where the club shooting happened.

Boris

Beach Bum
Good evening. 62° with rain. Over an inch here so far today. System should be out of here by 0500, they say...

Hope all of y'all in Florida, heed the warnings. I Hope the storm misses the mainland and everyone comes through this unscathed.

Wife went to the Vampires for a blood draw, 5 viles worth, then we went to Costco. Then i took a nap, then spent 45" running a switching sequence on the layout, putting the new Baldwin throughthe paces. After dinner, I spent two additional hours running another switching sequence, and repairing a couple of cars. Time went by very quickly. Orioles game was rained out, so there were no alternatives.

Lot of activity here, I have to catch up in the morning.

Eric: That's quite a job on the refinery tower. Looks great.

Curt: Thanks for the tip about Rustoleum Bisque. Good concrete color is hard to find, it's subjective, even in real life different pourings look different. Like what you are doing with your Engine house floor.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
The rain has pushed outa Virginia sometime early this morning.
I'm packing up the bike for another road trip this weekend, up to Detroit. I'll head out after work and get a room in Bedford, PA for the night then finish the trip in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.