Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigE

Morning, 59 and clear here.
Tomorrow's high is only 68 and going to be in the 40s at tonight all week.

Mounting the street lights on the oil refinery base has become a bear but I figured out a new solution just a half-hour ago or so.
E

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Good morning gang
Still dark outside, gee im gonna hate these next 2 weeks.
Garry Happy anniversary!
L8ter gang

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Good Tuesday morning train guys.
Back to work after three and a half days off. Yeah, Friday wasn't a very productive workday.
Spent a few hours programming locos on the JMRI. I erased the sound files on an Intermountain model that had a LocSound decoder. The files have to be downloaded from LocSound and reinstalled using the programmer. I thought I was only doing a reset, but it does and erase too. Yeah, I can change the road number and lighting function but its silent until the sound files are installed. I guess LokSound thought this would be a really, really great idea of not providing the sound files in the decoder. Perhaps they will charge ya to download files in the future, sorta like Photobucket.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Isn't it the V4 decoder that hasn't any sound files loaded onto it?. The Selects are US prototype only, but can be changed to another file if desired?

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Isn't it the V4 decoder that hasn't any sound files loaded onto it?. The Selects are US prototype only, but can be changed to another file if desired?

All of them should have a generic sound set loaded onto them.
The Select is only able to have complete sets loaded onto it, and is not limited to US prototypes. The V4 can have sound files mixed and matched individually.

2Tracks

Ol' School
Good morning all......headed for the high 90's again today, very unusual for this country in Sept. Smoke expectation today?...Thick!
Everybody have a great day........

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 69° and clear this morning. Wind is supposed to shift to northerly later today bringing much cooler nights and days with it. From the looks of the ten day forecast, it will pretty much end the pool season here. I did get a chance to cut some firewood and mow about 1/4 acre before it got too warm.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I just spread more ground foam and ballast. Worked on the fence a bit, but I am stopped until I get some adjacent detailing done first. Joe's adventure with the P2K tanker got me into the mood to dig out another P2K covered hopper kit to start while I wait for glue/paint to dry on the layout. Most of what I did yesterday involved drilling out the mounting holes for grabs and brake equipment/lines.

Karl - That was really a bad joke, the kind that I really love. Good luck going solo in the shop. Be careful.
Joe - I do believe that the grabs on P2K models are meant to be "press-fit" and not glued. I prefer to ream out the holes and glue them in as they are just too fragile for me to get in otherwise. Reaming with the drill bit removes the excess paint as well. I also see layouts as you do, not so much the engine overhang, but the lack of buffer cars, pipe on flatcar immediately behind engines or as on my brothers layout, modern double-stack well cars behind steamers. Of course to each his own, it's their RR.
Eric - Looking forward to the finished refinery.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO

I thought my OEM LokSound decoder was a select. After I did the reset I couldn't get it to make any sound.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
No, don't have one of those.

Since we all know Plan A never has a chance, we can advance to Plan B.
Do you have any local friends that have one?
If not, there's Plan C. You can send it here, and I can load updated sound files into it, then return it to you.

Boris

Beach Bum
Good morning. 68° and sunny, going to 87° which will feel warmer, because it's been so cool around here.

Karl: The T3 looks real good. Good luck for the next two weeks in the shop.

Garry: Happy Anniversary !

Willie: I'm not so sure that's what they had in mind, as the instructions make reference to gluing. However, none of the pre-drilled holes is large enough to fit the stem that is supposed to be inserted in the hole. I started out with a #80 bit, but did not open it up sufficiently, so i went to a #74, which worked, for the platform. When I went to use the # 74 in the grab iron hole, it broke. :mad: Then I found out that the Woodland Scenics 2" foam nails work well at opening the holes. I have learned that pressure fitting is always a better method than gluing, when ever possible, but with the fine, easily breakable detail parts on a P2k kit, it's almost impossible to do so.

I'm moving a little slow this morning, very stiff. Yesterday, I was able to walk for 14 minutes or ½ mile before the knee complained. Today, I have some knee exercises to do, that supposedly strengthen the knees??? I plan on some yard work, and want to spend some time in the train room, as well as on the tank car. Grand daughter begins Pre-K tomorrow.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Since we all know Plan A never has a chance, we can advance to Plan B.
Do you have any local friends that have one?
If not, there's Plan C. You can send it here, and I can load updated sound files into it, then return it to you.

I just checked the JMRI web site. Doing a reset vs. CV8=8 messes up some CV settings. The sound is only turned off. If I do a CV8=8 it should restore things to factory setting and I can make sound adjustments from there.
I have a friend locally who is a LokSound dealer and repair authorized. If I can't get this fix to work, I'll pester him.
This little experience will certainly drive me away from any further purchases of LokSound products.

Raincoat2

Good morning, everyone. 63 and partly cloudy here in SW MO. Rain will pass us by, and we needed it. Next few days expected to be in the upper 40's at night. Someone on the north border left the back door open :)

Sheesh - I'm off the forum for a 3 day holiday and it takes forever to catch up. So some of my comments may be a little old:

Curt - Time in the train room - I'd stay down in the basement all night working, but I value my marriage too - so we all have to walk a fine line, don't we?
Louis - Condolences on your mom's passing - I liked the story about her refusing to pay tribute to a leader she despised while in school.
Beady - That video you posted of the train on the crazy track - if James Bond had been riding that thing, it would have come out, "I-I-I'll have a m-m-m-m-mart-t-tini, sh-sh-sh-shaken not st-st-stirrrrred." (And it would have been very well-shaken, too)
Sherrel - Great video on men's and women's brains. BTW, what's the story behind your handle, "Sirfoldalot"?
Willie - Congratulations on your upcoming 45th anniversary. We'll hit 43 this December.
Chet - As always, nice videos and rail photos
Garry - Happy Birthday!!! Hope it was a great day for you!
Karl - I love dumb jokes - they're usually the best kind!!

Three-day weekend, mostly just hanging around the house, doing lawn care, landscaping, and chilling out. Major progress in the train room - all track is now down for the full layout - just a couple of sidings to finish to service local businesses. Finished running the main buss to the end of the layout - now just have to drill a few more holes for feeder wires and hook them up. Finished a structure, started two more. Our LHS has some HO scale structures for sale from a defunct layout - I bought four so far: can't beat the price of $5 or $10 for houses, barns, and even a firehouse. Our town can now put out HO-scale fires :) Some of them needed some TLC, but nothing even a rookie couldn't handle.

Have a good day everyone.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. Quite a cool start to the day at 39 degrees. Talk about sleeping in a meat locker. Had the fan sucking all of that cool air into the bedroom. Did not want to get up. Should get up into the mid 80's by afternoon. Still a lot of smoke. The cooler weather brought some winds to the state and this didn't help the fire fighters at all with the wild fires.

Johnny - Like the quote.

Willie - Looking forward to see photos of the work when you get the scene completed.

If I have time I will continue to search for some paint to match the Lowey paint scheme on the Stewart F-3. I am a die hard Floquil fan and still do have a fairly good supply, but not those colors.

Getting busy as this is a short week, so here is the rail photo for the day.

train-trackspjkhf5461.jpg

Later

Beady

Beady - That video you posted of the train on the crazy track - if James Bond had been riding that thing, it would have come out, "I-I-I'll have a m-m-m-m-mart-t-tini, sh-sh-sh-shaken not st-st-stirrrrred." (And it would have been very well-shaken, too)

I recently discovered YouTube, so stand by for more.

https://youtu.be/GewMX2kqmHI

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.