Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarryCBQ

Karl. .. Congratulations. ! LOL about story telling ... our 25th is Tuesday. Second marriage much better than first and much longer. . Also my birthday is tomorrow.

Beady

Gang,
I'll just leave this track pic here.

View attachment 63046

That being said, today is our anniversary. 10 years. If I would have married here the 1st time I had the chance it would have been 35 years. Better late than never huh?
Yeah. Right now, I'm sitting next next to my wife while she has a phone conversation, on speaker, with her sister, so... Yeah.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Yeah. Right now, I'm sitting next next to my wife while she has a phone conversation, on speaker, with her sister, so... Yeah.

Sometimes fact is funnier than fiction eh? :rolleyes:

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Today we were supposed to go out to lunch with my Mom and Dad but late last night I got a call from son-in-law asking me to watch the boys (wife at her job) at about the same time, so I cancelled lunch. This morning just before the boys were to arrive my daughter calls and says she isn't feeling well so the boys aren't coming over.:( Not happy.

I was happy to see Navy win last night and will be watching Florida play later. Earlier I re-roofed a building that goes with my mainline coaling tower. I experimented with a patched and stained roof look.

Joe- Thank you. The concrete floor makes sense. I just figured a wooden floor would be easier to build. I'm glad your leg issues although painful are not life threatening.

Chet- Good looking locos. Are they at some point going to make the transition to LV livery?

Toot- We were having the same issues at my club (same type of construction) so what they did was mount a UR-92 (digitrax) duplex radio transceiver up high in a corner facing the layout. This seemed to solve the majority of radio and duplex throttle problems.

Louis- Condolences and prayers to you, your wife and family on this very sad occasion.

Garry- Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day tomorrow.

20170902_140025.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Louis. you have my condolences.
Someday, I'll tell y'all a story of my two mothers-in-law, but today is probably not the day for that.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good afternoon. It has finally become sunny, and the temp has risen to around 70.
For the last several days, we've had clouds, rain, gloom and doom, thunder, tornadoes, wind, lots of rain, thunder, more rain, and more rain.
I spent most of today working on the new truck. Now it's broken in, I installed a bed mat, trailer hitch, brake controller, and tonneau cover. Then, I came home and took the trailer for a spin around the block. It looks like we have a winner. I did discover I need some mirror extensions, so I can see behind the trailer. The old truck was wider, and had oversized mirrors from the factory.
I was running away from cars at traffic lights while towing. I think I'll need to pace myself...

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Had a nice drive up to Port Trevorton, PA this morning. Stopped off by the NS tracks to watch a couple trains roll by.
Louis, my condolenses to you and your family. It's a step in life that we aren't completely sure about, but from God's perspective, its part of his plan.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good afternoon. We started off at 50 degrees but it is already up to 83 at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Louis -I am very sorry to hear about your loss. It its time to grieve, but you can also celebrate all of the happy times she brought into your life.

Garry - Thanks for the information of the F units. I thought the side grills were painted the dark green. Will have to check some photos. sounds like you were scooting right along going to Michigan.

Joe - After the crap I went through with the Atlas RS-1, I am totally cured of having anything to do with DCC on my home layout. I do have a few locomotives that are DCC tio run at the club, but I will buy no more.

Terry -
Glad the new truck seems to be working out for you, but I think just about anything would be better than the old Ford. Now that it seems to be broken in, you can drive it like you stole it.

Curt - Nice job on the roof. Well done. The two locomotives are going to sat Northern Pacific. I mainly wanted the F-3 which is painted in the Lowey paint scheme to help the F-7 I already have pull my NP passenger cars. The single F-7 can't handle all the cars on the grades I have. The F-7 in the freight scheme was a blunder. I like anything painted for the NP or Milwaukee Road and put in a low ball opening bid and ended up winning it. Already have one that I custom Painted around 25 years ago because nobody produced a properly painted one at the time. Now instead of having one detailing project, I now have two. I did find my Walthers catalog also.

Trying to decide if I want to make the trip over to Livingston tonight. The grandson couldn't make it over to mow so I got an early start this morning to get it done before things warmed up.

Later

Not going to post rails photo today. There's no way in hell I can top what Karl posted. Way to go Karl.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Condolences to you and particularly your family Louis. A hard time for all. Focusing on the good times and the memorable moments will help to comfort everyone.

Beady

I'm sorry, Louis. Our mothers are 90 and 94, so I don't think I'll be far behind you. That is, we're all in this together.

Flip

LOUIS- Condolences to you and your family. Always recall the good times,the laughter and the family get togethers.

Flip

tootnkumin

Staff member
We were having the same issues at my club (same type of construction) so what they did was mount a UR-92 (digitrax) duplex radio transceiver up high in a corner facing the layout. This seemed to solve the majority of radio and duplex throttle problems.

Thanks Curt, That helps to confirm the theory that I'm on the right track. I'll still have to prove that it's a problem at the club, but will reinforce my position if it's so. I'll look that UR-92 up, see what's involved and buy one myself for the club. The problems only seem to occur when setting up consists, otherwise all generally works OK. A second aerial to spread the radio signal might also help.

Bruette

Louis - I would agree about Sponge Bob's good qualities being a positive influence on kids - IF they even bother to catch the moral of the stories. I watched Sponge Bob when he first came out around 2000 and actually liked him for a while, but it didn't take too long before he became irritating and boring to me, whereas the old-time cartoons never seem to do that (to me). Now, I realize part of that is because I'm old(er) and stuff I grew up with has special memories for me.

I love SpongeBob and there are a few other good cartoons on today, but nothing compares to Bugs and the looney tunes.

Louis - Thanks for the comment on the fence. The cows without equipment are "steers"

Oooops! I failed to hit "Post Quick Reply" about two hours ago.

Thank you, I thought so, but I was getting confused by some old insult I had heard once about the only things in Oklahoma were Steers and ...

Seems to be talking about Concealed Carry Weapon permits, although here in Michigan it's actually CPL, Concealed Pistol License (weapons such as Bowie knives aren't covered). It also sounds like he carries without a license, a good way to lose all gun rights if he's caught at it.

The Bill of Rights, in general. NG apparently subscribes to the view that the BoR does not grant or reserve rights, but rather lists absolute natural rights that exist without reference to legislation or regulation.

Four, five years ago, only two states, Vermont and Alaska, had what is known as Constitutional Carry, where no State permits are required for virtually anything gun-related. The trend since then has been toward less regulation, nation-wide, with a few other states adopting Constitutional Carry, or leaning that way.

Note this only involves Concealed Carry, generally defined as carrying a handgun so that it is out of view. Open Carry is carrying a handgun so that it is openly visible.

Thank you, that was well said, how you got that from his post shows an amazing ability for understanding.

My thoughts on Guns;

Guns can only hurt people if somebody pulls the trigger, so let's keep crazy people and criminals from having guns.

Personally I don't want a gun in my house, what do I need a gun for?

If they outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns.

Knowing you are a bit of a western historian I have a question. Is it true that guns were not allowed in the city of Dodge in the time of Wyatt Earp?

Louis -
OK, a short primer on cows. First of all, cows generally refers to dairy animals, beef cows are usually referred to as cattle. BUT there is no singular for cattle, so individual cattle are also called cows.
1) A mature male cow is called a bull and is used only for breeding.
2) An altered (castrated) male cow is called a steer and is used only for beef. The removed parts when deep-fried are known as Rocky Mountain oysters or calf-fries. Mmmmh! Tasty! These cows are also sometimes called feeder calves.
3) A mature female cow is just a cow.
4) An immature (younger than three years) female cow is called a heifer.
5) Cows of both sexes that haven't been weaned are called calves, and after a year can also be referred to as yearlings.
6) An orphaned or rejected cow of either sex is known as a dogie.
7) An unbranded cow is called a maverick.
There are some other lesser used terms but these are the basics.
You sorta asked.

Willie

Thank you again and I appreciate that! Being a fan of Western TV shows and Movies I have heard all of those terms, but was never sure what they all meant.

Please accept our condolences, Louis. We are sorry for your loss.

Thank you

Louis, So sorry to hear the news about Mama, our condolences to you and yours. :(

Thank you and Happy Anniversary! I to had to do it twice to get it right and yes in deed it is better to be late than never!

Louis. ... sad to read your post. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Thank you and have a Happy Birthday!!!

Afternoon All,

Louis- Condolences and prayers to you, your wife and family on this very sad occasion.

Thank you

Louis. you have my condolences.
Someday, I'll tell y'all a story of my two mothers-in-law, but today is probably not the day for that.

Thank you, I was lucky to have 2 wonderful mother-in-laws, but only 1 for 2 with wives. It's ok to go 1-2 especially if you hit a homerun, that makes it easy to forget about striking out the first time.

Louis -I am very sorry to hear about your loss. It its time to grieve, but you can also celebrate all of the happy times she brought into your life.

Thank you and Mamma filled our lives with so much Joy!

I'm sorry, Louis. Our mothers are 90 and 94, so I don't think I'll be far behind you. That is, we're all in this together.

Thank you, God willing I hope i can be there to lend some support when the time comes. My Mom is 85, I'm lucky that she is still able to go out and about. As we do every Sunday my Mom and I will go to the grocery store together tomorrow morning.

Louis, my condolenses to you and your family. It's a step in life that we aren't completely sure about, but from God's perspective, its part of his plan.

Thank you, I will never understand God's plan, but I don't need to. My faith comforts me and that is enough for me.

LOUIS- Condolences to you and your family. Always recall the good times,the laughter and the family get togethers.

Flip

Thank you, you are so very right! I will never forget Mamma, she was a wonderful woman. I can see Mamma everyday in my wife and my youngest daughter. My son does not look like Mamma, but I can see her influence in him as well. Even my youngest grandson. He loves soup, like Mamma. Today I asked him if he wanted a sandwich for lunch. He came up from the basement saying "let me see what we have" Of all the different choices he could have made he choose soup. Soup... what kid wants soup?! Soup would be low on my list, but not Ayden. I can't make soup like Mamma, but I did learn her recipe. Mamma loved soup as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beady

Knowing you are a bit of a western historian I have a question. Is it true that guns were not allowed in the city of Dodge in the time of Wyatt Earp?
Yes. And speaking of both Earp and gun control, Wyatt, Doc, et al were attempting to enforce the no-gun ordinance in Tombstone, AZ, when shooting started, giving us the most famous and over-analyzed shoot-out in the history of the Old West. Anybody who doesn't get the reference will receive a swift kick in the caboose.

PS: What's up with all the Coffee Shops today?

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Well, I am a tad late, but wish You and your wife the best, LOUIS. I am sorry to hear the news of Mama's departure as the others have said. It is a journey that we all must take at some point ... and it seems that we are never fully ready for it to happen whether it is our turn or for a loved one!

Karl -- Great photo of the track/tracks! Reminds me of something I came across a couple years ago. I think it is fitting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxckAMaTDc

Curt - pretty soon you will have "tinned over" everything on your layout - lol.

Bruette

Thank you Sherrel, as Karl correctly pointed out in another unrelated post; It's better late than never. I think that applies to many situations, including this one.

We knew Mamma's health was failing, but as you say it was still a shock.

Bruette

Yes. And speaking of both Earp and gun control, Wyatt, Doc, et al were attempting to enforce the no-gun ordinance in Tombstone, AZ, when shooting started, giving us the most famous and over-analyzed shoot-out in the history of the Old West. Anybody who doesn't get the reference will receive a swift kick in the caboose.

PS: What's up with all the Coffee Shops today?

Thank you,

Gun control in the old west... damn liberals!

No need to put your boots on. I think everybody will be "O.K." with that reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.