Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. Like Joe mentioned, Happy Friday. Started off at 50 degrees and sre supposed t be in the upper 80's later today. The smoke is back and my mountains are hidden again.

Eric - Thanks for the update on your condition. I realize that it is personal, but I will say that I really have to admire you for being able to put up with all that you have gone through and still have the attitude you have.

Sherrel
- Sorry to hear about your family in Beaumont. About LA replacing Columbus Day, you just have to consider where they are and who they are. My wife almost gagged on her breakfast laughing when we heard that on the news this morning.

Ken D&J - Enjoy your trip.

Joe - I like the idea of yu modeling something that you are familiar with and have seen. Think I may do that (again). Like those Baldwins. I had a Stewart F-7 arrive earlier this week and am expecting another Stewart locomotive today, an F-3 in the NP Lowey passenger colors. The F-7 is in the NP freight scheme. I managed to have seen a rebuilt F-9 the day it left the Livingston yard that had just been restored by the Burlington Northern shops and may just number the F-9 7012A. Here it is the day it left for Washington State. This locomotive was also used in the movie Runaway Train.
View attachment 63039

That locomotive is now operating on the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway.

[video=youtube;OjSrMPG_c88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSrMPG_c88&t=85s[/video]

I'll just have to check the build date of this locomotive to make sure that it was around in 1957. I believe that it should be good. Also have to check and see what I may have to do to change the F-7 to an F-9.

Here's my rail photo for the day.

View attachment 63040

Later

Last edited by a moderator:

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Friday Morning Folks. 65° and clear with no wind. Which is a good thing, as I need to light the burn barrel this morning. Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday and my wife came along. Stopped at Kohl's to buy some reduced price summer wear for me, four pairs of shorts and two nice t-shirts, all 60% off. On the way to the cash register, we passed the jewelry counter and stopped, sigh! Wife found a $130 pair of earrings that she just had to have. OK I say. She asks the sweetest older lady behind the counter if she had to pay there or could she take them to the front checkout? Pay here she said but she could also checkout our other stuff as well. OK now, the jewelry is 30% off, all of the clothes are 60% off, we have a "Kohl's Cash" certificate for $20, and the very nice lady likes us so much that she applies her "Friends and Family" discount for 15% more! We paid $130 and "officially" saved over $300 from the pre-sales pricing! In other words, I bought my wife a pair of earrings and got six items of clothing free. Not too shabby for the time that I had reluctantly spent there.
I realized on my walk this morning that it must be September 1. Heard lots of gunshots meaning that hunting season had officially opened. Dove and squirrel only right now in our county. Early Canadian Goose season starts September 9.
Did nothing in the train shed except run trains yesterday, a couple of through freights interacting with several locals. I run a switching local for a bit and then tie up on a siding while I run a through freight or two from one end of the layout to the other. Go back and finish switching and repeat the process as many times as I want.

Garry - Thanks for comment on the fence. Yes, Harvey is still packing some rain, but won't be nearly as devastating up your way. Have a safe trip if you choose to leave.
Johnny - Thanks also. Speaking of gas, someone on social media in Dallas posted that they were about to run out of gas there yesterday and guess what? Everyone in the city descended on every station and many then actually ran out. Crazy, stupid people, as the gasoline companies had already stated they were bringing in gas from Tulsa refineries to make sure there was enough...if people didn't panic!
Chet - Nit-pick all you want, at least I have fences.:eek: Note as well that the wire is NOT attached to the outside, but runs through the center.
Joe - Thanks for the comment on the fence. I'll join the others in advising medical help if the pain persists.
Sherrel - Thanks for the comments regarding the fence and the scenery. I will be enhancing that scenery a bit now that the fence is in place. The wire came from inside a salvaged computer cable. The cable itself contained six silver based wires for data and a seven-strand steel cable for support. It was once used in our plant to carry computer data before we went wireless. I did have to "unstrand" it, it's extremely tough wire.
Curt - Thank you also regarding the fence. I haven't decided yet on how I am going to "age" it. I do have some brown India ink and I might just try that.
Louis - Thanks for the comment on the fence. The cows without equipment are "steers"

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Oooops! I failed to hit "Post Quick Reply" about two hours ago.

Beady

Bruce what are you on about now?
Seems to be talking about Concealed Carry Weapon permits, although here in Michigan it's actually CPL, Concealed Pistol License (weapons such as Bowie knives aren't covered). It also sounds like he carries without a license, a good way to lose all gun rights if he's caught at it.

...the Constitution or something else?
The Bill of Rights, in general. NG apparently subscribes to the view that the BoR does not grant or reserve rights, but rather lists absolute natural rights that exist without reference to legislation or regulation.

Four, five years ago, only two states, Vermont and Alaska, had what is known as Constitutional Carry, where no State permits are required for virtually anything gun-related. The trend since then has been toward less regulation, nation-wide, with a few other states adopting Constitutional Carry, or leaning that way.

Note this only involves Concealed Carry, generally defined as carrying a handgun so that it is out of view. Open Carry is carrying a handgun so that it is openly visible.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Good morning. Like Joe mentioned, Happy Friday. Started off at 50 degrees and sre supposed t be in the upper 80's later today. The smoke is back and my mountains are hidden again.

Eric - Thanks for the update on your condition. I realize that it is personal, but I will say that I really have to admire you for being able to put up with all that you have gone through and still have the attitude you have.

Sherrel
- Sorry to hear about your family in Beaumont. About LA replacing Columbus Day, you just have to consider where they are and who they are. My wife almost gagged on her breakfast laughing when we heard that on the news this morning.

Ken D&J - Enjoy your trip.

Joe - I like the idea of yu modeling something that you are familiar with and have seen. Think I may do that (again). Like those Baldwins. I had a Stewart F-7 arrive earlier this week and am expecting another Stewart locomotive today, an F-3 in the NP Lowey passenger colors. The F-7 is in the NP freight scheme. I managed to have seen a rebuilt F-9 the day it left the Livingston yard that had just been restored by the Burlington Northern shops and may just number the F-9 7012A. Here it is the day it left for Washington State. This locomotive was also used in the movie Runaway Train.
View attachment 63039

That locomotive is now operating on the Mount Rainier Scenic Railway.

[video=youtube;OjSrMPG_c88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjSrMPG_c88&t=85s[/video]

I'll just have to check the build date of this locomotive to make sure that it was around in 1957. I believe that it should be good. Also have to check and see what I may have to do to change the F-7 to an F-9.

Here's my rail photo for the day.

View attachment 63040

Later
Chet, if you didn't know, Bob, the forum owner, is affiliated with MRSR.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Terry - Didn't know that. If I get out into that area I will have to pay a visit. Nice to see that locomotive again and working, although the paint job is a little worn. I do have a photo of it somewhere I took of it when it was coming down the est side of Bozeman pass behind a few BNSF locomotives. Needless to say, it was not under power.

How is the new truck treating you? Got all of the gizmos figured out ?

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Did some chores and paid some bills today. I received the corrugated roofing I have been waiting for so I re-roofed a oil barrel storage shed that sits next to my diesel facility and re-roofed the Walthers Cornerstone cattle loading chute. I also ordered a set of 3 skylights (kits) from FOS Scale Models for the roof of the engine house that I'm planning now.

I am in a conundrum:cool:. I plan on building 2 sided finished walls (wood) and can't decide whether to build the floor out of wood or styrene (concrete). As a reminder this is for a 2 stall engine house.

Garry- I wasn't upset, I was just telling about my situation.

Sherrel- Sorry to hear about your cousins.

Johnny- When I first started building a MRR I could easily spend 8 hours at a crack, but I worked 3 days a week (40 hours) and my wife worked regular weekly job, so I worked on it while she was at work. Now 2 hours is about my endurance limit.

VA Ken- Have fun watching trains at Enola.

Chet- Nice video and pictures.

20170901_135916.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Louis -
As you can see I know nothing about live stock.
OK, a short primer on cows. First of all, cows generally refers to dairy animals, beef cows are usually referred to as cattle. BUT there is no singular for cattle, so individual cattle are also called cows.
1) A mature male cow is called a bull and is used only for breeding.
2) An altered (castrated) male cow is called a steer and is used only for beef. The removed parts when deep-fried are known as Rocky Mountain oysters or calf-fries. Mmmmh! Tasty! These cows are also sometimes called feeder calves.
3) A mature female cow is just a cow.
4) An immature (younger than three years) female cow is called a heifer.
5) Cows of both sexes that haven't been weaned are called calves, and after a year can also be referred to as yearlings.
6) An orphaned or rejected cow of either sex is known as a dogie.
7) An unbranded cow is called a maverick.
There are some other lesser used terms but these are the basics.
You sorta asked.

Willie

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
And, above all, cows are freaking STUPID.

I have to laugh at the animal rights people wanting people not to eat beef. If it weren't for people, cattle couldn't exist. A cow could be in a field full of lush grass, but it it were covered with snow, it could starve to death. A horse, buffalo, elk or deer would paw at the snow to get what feed is underneath it. A cow won't.

Curt - The roof really looks nice. Well cone.

Got a message that my Stewart F-3 has arrived at the post office.

The oldest grandson will be over later this afternoon and his younger siblings will be over to eat what ever doesn't move fast enough. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend.

Boris

Beach Bum
I am in a conundrum:cool:. I plan on building 2 sided finished walls (wood) and can't decide whether to build the floor out of wood or styrene (concrete). As a reminder this is for a 2 stall engine house.

Curt: The floor of the two stall enginehouse at the New Hope and Ivyland was layered stone. Are you planning to incorporate an inspection pit? PECO makes a nice one for code 83 rail. PRR used poured concrete floors for everything just about, Wood is combustible, so not a good idea for steam or diesel.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I saw the Digitrax LNWI interface and ordered a couple of them. They arrived today and I installed one on the layout. I downloaded the app for my Droid and did the setup. Took about 30 seconds and I was running a train with my cell phone.
Pretty cool. Now when I do an op session the operators can use their own phone instead of my throttles.
I haven't figured out how the MU locomotives. Not sure if it can even be done with this, but it does provide all 27 function buttons on the one screen.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Ken
Its cool running trains with your phone, ain't it
I use an app called "Engine Driver" in tandem with JMRI to run trains with my NCE system. Between the ProCab, the ProcabR, the PowerCabs, the cab 04, and several phones, we gots control!!!

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
I saw the Digitrax LNWI interface and ordered a couple of them. They arrived today and I installed one on the layout. I downloaded the app for my Droid and did the setup. Took about 30 seconds and I was running a train with my cell phone.
Pretty cool. Now when I do an op session the operators can use their own phone instead of my throttles.
I haven't figured out how the MU locomotives. Not sure if it can even be done with this, but it does provide all 27 function buttons on the one screen.
Ken, if MU capability isn't going to happen, you can program all the addresses you want MUed to the same address, then change cv29 for NDOT forward or reverse as needed, then adjust horn and bell volumes to 0 on the trailing units. It would be a PITA, but doable.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
For those asking about my new ride, it seems to be doing well, current average mpg is 25.3. It has 503 miles on it, so it is officially "broken in". I had to re-enable Onstar for the complimentary 90 days, in order to stop getting the "demonstration mode" message. Supposedly, it will stop transmitting info if I unplug the mirror, but I'm not sure I want to start disconnecting stuff on a brand new vehicle.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Ken - Better have plenty of outlets around so people can charge their phones. If one dies, you could have a runaway train. Grin.gif

I heard from Don at Atlas Model Trains and he said that they had checked out the RS-1 and that it had had the wrong address entered in. ???? What??? Dual mode decoder, wouldn't run on DC or couldn't be programmed on DCC. He said that they had programmed it to the unit number and had also test run it on DC. We'll see what happens when it gets here.

When I first got it, it ran fine on DC. Posted the video of that. Programmed it for the unit number on DCC at the club and it ran just fine. Came hack from the club and never touched it again until I tried running it the following week, it wouldn't run and found out that the front truck was not picking up.

Sent it to Atlas when they agreed that it was not picking up from the front truck and sent it back. When I got it back, tried it on DC and it would just go through the start up sequence. Tried it at the club a couple of days later, the same scenario. Would just go through the start sequence. Tried re programming it to the road number and still nothing. No control; of the lights, sound and the locomotive would not move forward or in reverse. Wonder if I'll have a nice looking paper weight.

I did get the Stewart F-3 in the mail today. Now I will have a project.

thumbnail_IMAG1239.jpg The F-3 must be an oldie. Horn Hook couplers. I haven't had anything with those for 30 years.

Right off the bat I can see that I am going to have to find the shortest shank coupler I can for the rear of the F-3. The F-7 can easily accept the 158 whisker couplers I have plenty of.

Just starting the list, a set of decals for both locomotives along with a grab iron set for both locos. 5 chime air horn, winterization hatches for both along with spark arrestors. Windshield wipers? Yes. Paint for touch up should probably be ordered also. I do have plenty of lift rings for the top of the hood, but don't know if I'll bother with those.

They are both sweet running locomotives. Stealth. Put them on the layout and let them run while I was doing something else and It took a few minutes to locate them they are so quite.

After all the crap with the RS-1, I will stick with DC thank you very much.

Later

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Chet, you'll need a #153 coupler for the back of that F unit. You can also use the "close couple" kit to further reduce the gap between F units.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
The two of them will not be running together. I got the F-3 to run with the Genisis F-7 that also has the Lowey paint job. I have no idea why I bid on the F-7. Didn't need it but put in a low starting bid and there were no other bidders. Needed the F-3 for extra power to pull a longer passenger train up the grade I have. The single Genisis F-7 is a good pulling unit, but not enough to get all of the NCL cars that I have.

Thanks for the #153 coupler. It will go on the list. I still haven't found where I left the Walthers catalog.

Boris

Beach Bum
Chet: You will need Kadee # 450 Conversion kit for the Steward F7s. I have five in my B&O fleet, and they run fine when I get them out. I've had them since they first came out. Have the handrails and grabs also...one of these days.

Thanks to all of you who expressed concern about my recent leg pain incident. Doc says I have Sciatica, and. Varicose Veins. The combination is causing all my issues. Solution, additional anti-inflammatory meds, and compression sox. Come back in two weeks...

tootnkumin

Staff member
Athearn have just announced EMD GP35's in their HO Roundhouse Line, due August '18, with 3 MRL's among them. Any experience with any of that line's latest locos? Any good, bad or indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.