Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help trying to find where John Allen's notes, drawings and photo's ended up

Default Help trying to find where John Allen's notes, drawings and photo's ended up

Sorry for the change but due to unforeseen circumstances I am trying to leave this wonderful site.
    Last edited by Exhibit Guy; 09-07-2017 at 09:33 AM.

2. Default

Welcome!
    This is just totally awesome! We have, I think, several members who have seen John's layout - and even operated on it!
    I am sure that they will "chime in". Maybe they have the knowledge that you are seeking.
    Can't wait to see photos of your work!
    Sherrel
    I survived Charles Tillinghast & Carl Ican
    Here, hold my beer!

There was a discussion not long ago by Mark, NP2626, on John Allen. There's one thing about this railroad, you'll have no difficulty knowing where to start.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If I remember correctly, John Allen's house was destroyed by fire shortly after his death. Everything used for published articles would be in the archives of Model Railroader or Model Railroad Craftsman or any other publication he submitted material too.
    Ken Adams

The house wasn't destroyed, only the layout room caught fire from a heater under the layout. Lynn Westcott, former editor of Model Railroader wrote a book about John's Layouts, there where three of them and each is discussed in depth. The book is entitled "Model Railroading with John Allen". The book is widely available, Amazon, etc. I would suggest as a minimum you should pick one up, it is a deep well of information on John and the GD line.

As far as my writing anything specific to John Allen, I don't recall doing so, although he is mentioned in several posts I have made, as like you I hold Mr. Allen in very high esteem!
    Last edited by NP2626; 08-27-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by Exhibit Guy View Post
    NP2626....Sir I will assume, by your answer, that you did not read my long winded post. Sorry for the diatribe of descriptions and posting my layout that I made using the published layout from Linn Wescott's famous book, I know it is long but I am familiar with all the stories and information I can easily find on web sites and current publications including many of the MOdel Railroader articles I still have from the old days conserving John's work and the fire and etc. Information TODAY... about the whereabouts of his files and notes are of great interest to me. As mentioned ,once again, in my post I did not expect to nor really want to drag everyone through another discussion about John's history... I respect the man a great deal myself he is the reason I was able to earn my living in model making believe me I am aware of his contributions and so much so I am building a tribute to him in my home and simply want to do the last part I have not been able to document (the large bridge) correctly.
    You would be correct, I did not read your entire-long winded post. I scanned it and felt I had the jist of what you where asking. I guess not. Please understand that I was just attempting to help you out, in my own feeble way. Good luck in your endeavor.
    Mark D.

Exhibit Guy - I had the opportunity to have operated on the G&D when I was on temporary instructor duty when I was in the Navy stationed at Mare Island. I think at the time that John's layout was the most fantastic layout in print, and then being able to not only have seen it in person, but being invited to operate on it was the high point in model railroading for me.

I have followed this layout from the very first article I saw of it, and then through the years even after his death.

I am old and have bouts of CRS, but not too long ago I saw an article about some of his locomotives being on display. I think it may have been Model Railroader magazine. Have you tried contacting them for any information?

8. Default

This is quite an undertaking. I hope you are successful. I feel as though you would be doing yourself and John Allen a disservice if you DIDN'T modernize. That is, you should definitely go with DCC, LEDs, static grass and the other things we take for granted that didn't exist back in the early 1970s.

I don't follow why John Allen's notes are important to you? You are not talking like your going to exactly copy his GD layout.

I don't know that Mr. Allen would have converted to DCC. There are many who still like DC, so who's to say what choice he would have made?

As far as learning how to install DCC & Sound in a locomotive, everything you will need to know is contained in the installation instructions. I'm living proof of this, having installed a dozen or more in my locomotives. Yes, DCC wiring is much simpler than block wiring for DC. However, it can easily becomes as complicated; or, maybe even more complicated if you start installing stationary decoders for switch motors/machines and other devices. As in everything there is a learning curve.

Like you, I am a life long builder of models. However, I have not modeled professionally, like you have. I have 61 years of modeling; ships, R/C & free flight airplanes. I have been working on my current layout 40 years, next year.

Like you, I am intrigued with John Allen and his layout! However, when it came time to develop a track plan, I would never consider copying anyone else's design. As it has already been done.

Most Model Railroaders feel today they don't have the free time needed to build all the rolling stock needed for a working model railroad and unlike John Allen's emphasis on dramatic scenery, their emphasis seems to be on realistic operations.
    Last edited by NP2626; 09-11-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    Mark D.

Randy:

Is that drawing in your post your work? It is a impressive drawing and track plan!

I've been a life long fan of John Allen and his work and read everything I could find on his work, in fact I just purchased a "mint" condition copy of the December 1981 issue of Model Railroader that featured on the cover the Squaw Creek High Bride on the Gorre & Daphetid. My original copy of this issue is in a drawer of my work bench and is wearing out from use. Whenever I need a boost of modeling spirits I page through this issue and read Andy Sperandeo's article on John Allen and the G&D.

John made the G&D a life long creation and spend countless hours working on his project without the distractions of daily life that so many of us face.

Randy, since your work is just starting on your layout, what is your timetable to compete the layout? You have a remarkable journey ahead of you. Keep us posted and please post photographs of the layout's progress.

Thanks.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg@mnrr; 08-28-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club