Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

1. Default Hello

Hello. I am looking at getting back into model railroading after a 30 years absence. Thirty years ago I was into HO scale wanting to get started in N scale. look forwarding to reading post and asking a lot of questions.

Thanks.

Well welcome to the forum T Bolt. Do you have any equipment now?
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

3. Default

I just bought the Bachman Thunder Valley. I know I will not use the track that came with it. Mainly bought it for the engine and cars. I'm searching and searching for a book or magazine that has complete plan for a good N scale layout.

When I was in it 30 years ago I did a plan from a book that showed how to cut the wood and how to do the elevation. It showed everything from start to finish with the exception of scenery. Back then it was all plaster for scenery, cork for road bed, and all track/roadbed was laid directly to the wood.

I am seeing that foam is used for scenery, roadbed (think I will still use cork), and also laid on top of the wood.

Welcome to these forums T_Bolt, ask the questions. Lots of knowledge within these electronic walls. Not an N scaler myself, we do have an N scale specific forum and there are many others to glean ideas and info from. We're a helpful bunch.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Wood or foam. When ya commit to one or the other, it should work. Just gotta know how to glue foam together without melting it.
    Bench work is important so small bumps to the table won't be major earthquakes to your empire.
    Keep in mind you will need access to the track from under the table to run a power buss.
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

T_BOLT, welcome to the forum, indeed, a lot of knowledge in these pages, just ask. HO myself but a lot of the principles are the same no matter what scale. Have you looked at TOMA? The One Modual Approach.......
    Jerry

---------​THE ONLY CONSISTENCY IS THE INCONSISTENCY---------

7. Default

Welcome to our forum T_BOLT. I am also HO, but like Jerry posted, "a lot of the principles are the same no matter what scale". Check out the various parts of the forum for ideas and questions, If you get a chance, stop by the Coffee Shop and join some of the members for some friendly banter that may not be train related.

Willie

Just a note. Many, if not most who use foam as the base, still put cork underlay on beneath the rails. If for nothing else because track nails don't hold into the foam very well whilst positioning track.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

T_BOLT........I am building my first major layout. I went with the open grid bench work with 2 inch foam on top of that. The foam is very rigid but easy to drill thru, carve on and light weight. I'm using cork roadbed, attached with foam friendly adhesive. Research research research!
    Jerry

---------​THE ONLY CONSISTENCY IS THE INCONSISTENCY---------

10. Default

Build with an eye towards possibly tearing it down when ideas hit and plans change. I'm on my 4th iteration of layout and I'm sure I'll be changing THAT! LOL
    "I'm not building a layout per-se, I'm just playing with trains all-day!"