Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How do you paint trains without airbrush?

  1. Default How do you paint trains without airbrush?

    How can you paint freight cars without using an airbrush? I don't now why but I couldn't help myself, I saw these 2 cars and had to have them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM 77039 Bi-Cent.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	62345

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prince Spaghetti.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	62346

    Thanks to tootnkumin I got the idea I could get a kit, paint it myself, and put the decals on from http://www.petescustomdecals.com/HOScaledecals.html. That's were I saw the Prince Spaghetti car. So now I have a couple of Accurail 5000 and a couple of Walthers Airslides coming in from ebay. Also placed an order for both decals though it might take a little time for them to be made and mailed.

    What would be the best way to paint these cars? Can I use Krylon spray paint or would acrylic paints that they have in the hobby store work? I do worry about brush marks if I paint with a brush. White should be easy to come by but I'm not sure about the blue used for B&M. What would you all recommend? And what would you recommend for a gloss coat? Thanks.
    Last edited by Warpiper; 07-15-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Forgot a question

  2. #2

    Default

    How do you paint trains without an airbrush? The obvious answer is that you don't.

    That said, seriously, there are options. Testors, Tamaya, and Scalecoat make spray cans. You can use a brush, though that does require some skill and a lot of practice. I would stay away from Krylon and similar sprays, not because of the actual paint, but because the the nozzle produces a coarser spray than model spray paints, though again, with a lot of practice, it can be done. As to acrylics at the "hobby store", it really depends on which acrylics you are referring to. Acrylics like Vallejo are fine, I'd stay away from Apple Barrel, Plaid, and similar "craft" paints, though again ......... Maybe you can see a trend here. As to the "gloss coat", most of the paints go on gloss. It's after you apply the decals and any weathering, you apply a dull coat.

    Good luck with your project.
    Kevin

    General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

  3. Default

    Hi Kevin,

    Thank you for your advice and information. I'm sure I will get an airbrush at some point but it will have to wait a bit. Looks like a decent set up can go for several hundred $$$ and other than these 2 cars I want to do, I don't have any other projects I can use it on. After watching several videos though, it makes me wonder what other projects I can use it on. I'll look at going with one of the 3 spray cans you recommended and stay away from the brush. I have several undecorated cars coming in so I can practice on a few of them.

    Thanks.

  4. #4

    Default

    I know airbrushes can go up there but I bought a decent compressor and a badger airbrush from Hobby Lobby and they always have a 40% coupon on their website. Mine was under $100 for both and you'll be surprised how many projects come up.

  5. #5

    Default

    When you decide to take the plunge and go for an airbrush, just ask for advice here. As Edsland said, you actually can get a GOOD (not top of the line, but good) compressor and airbrush for about $100 total.
    Kevin

    General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

  6. Default

    For learning about airbrush equipment and techniques, I have found this site to be helpfulk:

    https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

    - Jeff
    My other hobby: AstronomyBoy.com

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edsland View Post
    I know airbrushes can go up there but I bought a decent compressor and a badger airbrush from Hobby Lobby and they always have a 40% coupon on their website. Mine was under $100 for both and you'll be surprised how many projects come up.
    Hi Edsland,

    Thank you for that. I'll have to go check out their website and start looking for coupons. I can do $100. Funny, I actually spent several hours last night looking at what other projects I could do with an airbrush. Lots of nice ideas out there.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak & Western View Post
    When you decide to take the plunge and go for an airbrush, just ask for advice here. As Edsland said, you actually can get a GOOD (not top of the line, but good) compressor and airbrush for about $100 total.
    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks again. While I was surfing the internet last night I saw a few folks say you can use any type of compressor to run an airbrush. I have a Bostich 6 gallon pancake compressor in the garage, could I use it instead of the small ones for airbrushing?

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdetray View Post
    For learning about airbrush equipment and techniques, I have found this site to be helpfulk:

    https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home

    - Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for sending the link. It looks like there is a lot of good info there.

    Oh, I love your avatar. Might have to use it as well.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpiper View Post
    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks again. While I was surfing the internet last night I saw a few folks say you can use any type of compressor to run an airbrush. I have a Bostich 6 gallon pancake compressor in the garage, could I use it instead of the small ones for airbrushing?
    You absolutely can, as long as it has a regulator and a moisture trap.
    Alan

    Modeling Espee on the Coast and in steam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •