Have you seen this?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Bruette

THE POLAR EXPRESS® 10TH ANNIVERSARY SCALE BERKSHIRE LOCOMOTIVE #1225 Lionel 6-11451​

When I saw this, I thought of the Iron Horsemen. I also thought others might be interested.

http://www.lionel.com/products/the-...rsary-scale-berkshire-locomotive-1225-6-11451

611451-1.jpg

Last edited:

otiscnj

Looks very nice! Haven't jumped the Polar Express shark yet. I'm weighing that against the Hogwarts Express shark. My feeling is that Hogwarts might be of more interest to older kids or teens, whom are old enough to actually get into model railroading of their own accord. I got serious about model railroading sometime around the 5-6th grades, that was over the Summer between 5-6th grade. My Mom got me a subscription to Model Railroader for my 12th birthday, in 1974, about when Bruce Chubb's layout was featured in the MR 40th Anniversary issue, in 1/74.

Getting back on subject, how about a Polar Express S-2 Turbine?

Bruette

NOW --- That is a NICE LOOKING Locomotive!

At a list price of $1449.99 it better be :) and as far as I know it never sold at more than $100 off the list price.

Do you know if they are going to redo the entire set of scale cars to go with it? So far all I've got is the observation and diner.

I have not heard or read anything saying they would but I would not be surprised if they did. The Polar Express obsession is alive and well among many Lionel fans.

Looks very nice! Haven't jumped the Polar Express shark yet. I'm weighing that against the Hogwarts Express shark. My feeling is that Hogwarts might be of more interest to older kids or teens, whom are old enough to actually get into model railroading of their own accord. I got serious about model railroading sometime around the 5-6th grades, that was over the Summer between 5-6th grade. My Mom got me a subscription to Model Railroader for my 12th birthday, in 1974, about when Bruce Chubb's layout was featured in the MR 40th Anniversary issue, in 1/74.

Getting back on subject, how about a Polar Express S-2 Turbine?

At first I thought you meant shark, as in Baldwin, but I tend to be a bit slow sometimes.

That is odd, it is not in the 2017 catalog.

It was last listed in the 2014 catalog. I did a quick internet search and it appears they are all sold out at internet retailers. I also searched eBay and found none.

I would expect it to return to the Lionel catalog sometime soon, but not as a 10th anniversary edition. I'd expect to see it as a Vision Line item. If I were a betting man I'd say it will have Pere Marquette as the road name if it does enter the Vision Line.

Iron Horseman

It was last listed in the 2014 catalog. I did a quick internet search and it appears they are all sold out at internet retailers. I also searched eBay and found none.
Ok, that explains it. This is the one I've been searching for since we first talked about this....

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruette

Well Looky here. Apparently Lionel issues multiple catalogs a year. In the 2017 Volume 2 Signature Edition is the full Polar Express done in "scale".
http://catalogs.lionel.com/17c2/html5/
Looks like I need about$2100 to get the loco and 5 cars I need. I've already got a diner and the observation. I wonder why there is no hot chocolate, abandon toys, or hobo on roof car?

I have that catalog, but I have not yet looked at them.

Lionel issues several catalogs each year. In addition to the Signature Editions they have Ready to Run catalogs, Christmas Catalogs, Tin Plate (manufactured by MTH under Lionel license) and others.

One of the benefits of membership to the Lionel Collectors Club of America (LCCA) is I get all the catalogs sent to me, free!

I'd bet the other cars are coming! The Polar Express is a huge success for Lionel.

I have all the cars in traditional scale and that cost me over $500. Add to that the LionChief Polar Express set (I had to have, because the kids love it and me too!) and the Christmas decorations and other Polar Express paraphernalia I have well over $1000 invested and I could not be happier with my purchases.

I'd love to see photos or even better a video of your scale set when you set it under one of your trees.

Iron Horseman

I'd love to see photos or even better a video of your scale set when you set it under one of your trees.
I ordered the first piece last night. The Polar Express Tender that will go with the Pere Marquette loco. (Lionel #6-84694 Pere Marquette #1223 Legacy Berkshire). I cannot forbear the ridiculous looking pilot on the actual Polar Express Loco.

polar express tender.jpg

Iron Horseman

And a side note for Bruette, what should I get to power this thing? Will one of the old football type controls work?

Bruette

Bruette

Don't listen to the naysayers; "Can't Work" that's last century's news. I'll go as far as to say "dollar for dollar the modern CW80 is the best transformer ever built for O scale trains"

Lionel 6-14198 CW-80 80-Watt Transformer

You can find them new on eBay from dealers who break up sets for as little as $50, sometimes even less!
614198-01.jpg

The term O gauge is almost last century too :) I try to keep up with the times.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.