La Mesa Model Railroad in San Diego California

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Had the opportunity to visit the La Mesa Model Railroad Museum yesterday and run some trains on the layout. What a phenomenal layout this is and the behind the scenes extras are mind blowing! Thanks again Mike for the invite and to some new friends made - Derek, Joseph, Major, John and many more (too many names to remember).

Steve

IMG_6743.jpgIMG_6745.JPGIMG_6746.JPGIMG_6749.JPG

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Wow, they actually let you run trains on the layout? That's sorta like a friend letting ya drive their Koenigsegg CCXR Trevita sports car. (yeah, worth about $4 million)
Last time I was in there was in 2000. I'm sure a lot has been improved over the layout since then. I shot this footage while there and added the sounds of real trains from other footage that I had to cover up the screaming of kids who were in the museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD21PmZm_MI

I was invited by a member, they got me hooked and now I'll be joining too. Did they have the upstairs with the Tehachapi loop when you were there before? It's a whole upstairs level of track, more track and miles of staging.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes I was running the CN pair and later swapped out with the BNSF manifest (C44-9W heritage I in the lead).

tootnkumin

Staff member
That's some layout, muti loco consists and long trains. And they let you BYO. Ken, a great video, phenominal scenery and some masterful sound dubbing.

Steve, you're gonna be hooked.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I was invited by a member, they got me hooked and now I'll be joining too. Did they have the upstairs with the Tehachapi loop when you were there before? It's a whole upstairs level of track, more track and miles of staging.

Steve

No upstairs portion at the time. I think someone mentioned it was under consideration at the time.

No upstairs portion at the time. I think someone mentioned it was under consideration at the time.

Yep, it's open now. Track done and scenery ongoing. Connects Bealeville to the upper level and runs all the way out to Mohave with the loop in there.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
STEVE -- That's pretty awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful photos. You must have been in "hoggers heaven".

KEN -- That's an outstanding video - WOW!

STEVE -- That's pretty awesome! Thanks for all the wonderful photos. You must have been in "hoggers heaven".

KEN -- That's an outstanding video - WOW!

Sherrel,

It was a blast, I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve the night before going. Looking forward to going again.

Steve

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.