Stupid diesel Locomotive question....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

I'm a steam guy, turn of the century Logging in Particular. So I'm asking a stupid question about Diesel Loco's. 99% of videos or pictures I see of Double Headed Trains, I see the Lead Loco facing frontwards, and the 2nd facing to the rear.....my question is....WHY? I've gone over in my head to figure out why, and just can't come up with a valid reason. Can someone educate me? Thanks Much.

Mike
Charlotte, NC Area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Mike - They do it that way, so when they get to their destination, they don't have to turn them around to return. Eliminates the need for a turntable. The trailing loco becomes the lead loco on the return trip. Diesels themselves don't care which way they face, they perform the same in either orientation.

Willie

Thanks Willie....I tried to think of every conceivable reason.....except that. Makes sense now. Thanks again.

Mike
Charlotte, NC area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tootnkumin

Staff member
Something else that is not seen (so far as I have found) in the US is the double ended diesel, quite common in other countries. Here's one of ours

100_8961-Copy.jpg

otiscnj

Although it is not exactly your question buy some railroads liked to operate their units long hood forward, vs short hood forward. Long hood forward would protect the engine crew more, should there be a crash, but short hood forward sometimes had or has better visibility.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Although it is not exactly your question buy some railroads liked to operate their units long hood forward, vs short hood forward. Long hood forward would protect the engine crew more, should there be a crash, but short hood forward sometimes had or has better visibility.

The first mainline diesels on the NZR were the English Electric De class (very original eh!) and were built to be run cab forward. The replaced the Wab 4-6-4T and Ab 4-6-2 steamers in suburban service
2526.1438347994.jpg

The crews, being retrained from those steamers, weren't happy with having nothing in front of them and they soon had their controls turned around
de505_1.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.