Modell Railroad Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Building a Helix with PVC Pipe

With the "Threaded Rod Idea", why not use the threaded rods as wires going up the helix? Simply trap the wire under the washers and there is your connections. However, I understand threaded rod is not the method your using, Beiland!
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    What are your two radius(s) ?

And what distance between the center of the outer track and those all threads??

And just for info, what height railhead to railhead?
    That would be 34" and 36". Without going and measuring it, it is about an inch and a half to the screws. At this radius, there isn't much of anything that leans out over the outside edge of the tracks that much. And I don't know rail head to rail head, but from rail head to the plywood over it is 3.5" - tall enough for double stacks and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by NP2626 View Post
    With the "Threaded Rod Idea", why not use the threaded rods as wires going up the helix?
    That would probably work, but compared to copper, steel is a horrible conductor. I wonder if brass threaded rods are strong enough? But then that would probably be way more expensive than the "free" scrap wire that was used here.

I wish I could make use of 2 radius like that dimension, but I had a post out back of my shed that has my main electricity coming in. I don't think they want me to screw around with this....ha...ha

So the maximum outer diameter I can use is 65",....32 radius. And that's pushing it. So i thought 31" max. I saw one helix that had the threaded rods come up thru the center of the roadbed for the double tracks (instead of threaded rods on both sides of the helix roadbed,...something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I saw one helix that had the threaded rods come up thru the center of the roadbed for the double tracks (instead of threaded rods on both sides of the helix roadbed,...something to consider.
    I can think of another consideration for that. To put the rod through the center, the distance between the two tracks would have to be greater than (in HO) 2". That means the inside track would have to be that much tighter. In this case, probably 33" rather than 34". If one is already pushing minimum radius on that inside track it could be an issue.