Modell Railroad Links

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Help Please....design a dbl-deck layout in its own Hand-House shed

Brian.....Interesting. I had the peninsula drooping down & the two loops by the door coming up towards the peninsula, It was a pretty squat looking thing..... Are you using one of those layout programs to design yours? Just wondering if it help me to get that. Thanks much for your time.....
    Jerry

---------​THE ONLY CONSISTENCY IS THE INCONSISTENCY---------

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tracks View Post
    Brian.....Interesting. I had the peninsula drooping down & the two loops by the door coming up towards the peninsula, It was a pretty squat looking thing..... Are you using one of those layout programs to design yours? Just wondering if it help me to get that. Thanks much for your time.....
    No, I am not using any design software,..just too old to sit down and learn how to use all those icons, etc. One of reasons I started this (these) subject thread(s) was to see if I could attract a younger person who enjoys playing with these design programs to help me verify some of my ideas via a graphical presentation, and perhaps suggest other alternatives.

The second reason for the forum discussions is to help myself think thru some of my own thoughts / ideas. It helps sometimes to put your thoughts down on paper, and then review them several times. (So perhaps as you mentioned before you might consider starting a new subject thread on your plans). You might even consider several forums as I have found there are persons who never 'cross over' between forums,....trains and boat forums.

I just use graph paper to draw the plan somewhat to scale. Regrettable the area I am visiting at this time doesn't have much in the way of scanners, so I had to resort to using my camera to get the dwgs into a digital form. And the camera seems to distort the images more than I would have thought.

Default City Backdrop & Steel Scene

I was just going back thru some photos and postings I had made about my old Atlas #29 Central Midland layout and ran across this .....

Quote Originally Posted by railandsail
    City Scene Backdrop
    This could be the most exciting scene of all. My plan was to make this a city scene of Baltimore, an industrial city, home of the nations first railroad, and home of the famous B&O. There would be two distinctive images I thought I would include; 1) the infamous ‘Bromo Selzer’ tower*, and 2) the Mt Royal train station**. The train station in particular, as I had no room on the layout for a model station. I imagine it could be painted onto the backdrop, and include a dbl track portion that would appear to join the actual mainlines over in the back corner of the layout.

There are lighting techniques, layering techniques with poster board materials, and thin single-sided plastic structures that could make this city scene come alive, even in its very ‘flat presentation’. I have some sample illustrations.

Coal was, and is very much a part of Baltimore’s history along with steel and railroads. I had thought it could be possible to paint a coal fired power plant or steel mill onto a portion of this city scene down on the lower left hand side near the roundhouse area. Maybe add a large pile of coal alone with a string of coal cars waiting to be unloaded. If the layout were spaced out a bit from this wall/backdrop, it might be possible to insert one or two ‘fake’ sidings with coal cars and/or B&O passenger cars in waiting.
    Yes, still applicable for my new layout,...Balt cityscape in that right hand blob, and steel blast furnance in that left hand blob.

Default Steel Scene

Look what I found today as I was looking for steel mill related images. I just had to make a note of it here so I would remember to look at it again

http://baltimoreandohiomodelrailroad...teel_mill.html

I know this sounds and looks awfully ambitious to include a steel scene on my relatively small layout, but I'm thinking the only actual structure I would include would be the blast furnace itself. The rest would exist on the painted backdrop, somewhat like this photo from that site...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blast furnance with painted backdrop, ps 800.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	63079

An interesting concept. A multi-depth, shadow, low relief, buildings backdrop. Each layer would only need to be about a 1/4" or less to create that 3D effect, a bit like the old stand up pages they have in greeting cards or some children's books.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Default Turntable Loop & City Backgrd

Just did this quick little sketch, Haven't worked out any details of the freight yard yet.

Name:	turntable loop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	63136

I suspect I will have only the front face of a roundhouse with perhaps a dwg of the remainder of it on the backdrop. Just don't have room for whole structure.. Perhaps some photos or cut off ends of tenders in the doorways of that roundhouse.

What I really want in that scene is some display tracks for some of my steam collection, some caboose(s), and steam services like this.....

Name:	steam eng services.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	63137

And a thin city scene backdrop something like a cross between these two photos....

Name:	city and yard, ps.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	63139

Name:	maxresdefault, ps.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	63140

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Look what I found today as I was looking for steel mill related images.
    I believe that is the Walther's "The Works" Blast furnace kit. Kit 933-3054. I believe from 1997 or so. They show up on e-bay from time to time, but expect to pay about $250 for one.

Actually I got a kit (the kits) when they first came out, then sold it off when I thought I would not likely be using it.

About a year ago I found another one already built, and weathered, and lighted. So I bought it thinking perhaps I may be able to use it. I also got the supporting structures, built and weathered as well, but I don't image I will find any room for them. Likely they will just be painted on the backdrop.

Default GOOD Reference Material,..site

Just visited your web site Alan.
    http://www.lkorailroad.com/

Some VERY good sources of info on building a layout.

For instance this bit on different density foams...
    http://www.lkorailroad.com/foam-education/

Default Latest Thoughts & Access Step Ladder

I finally arrived back home & getting ready to re-evaluate some of my thoughts on my layout design. I have accepted the criticism I have received on my 'too-narrow aisles', thus revising my center peninsula size. I've reduced its size and projection quite a bit, ie the most recent edition...

Name:	oval peninsula loop, double loop around turntable.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	63261

I have yet to decide on the exact track plans (both mains and spurs). I'm still looking for suggestions to complete the mainlines that I have partially sketched in.

My new cardboard mock-ups give me a nice big 'open space' in the center of the room that will allow for a small working bench installation inside the shed.

Name:	DSCF1492.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	63262

Name:	DSCF1499.jpg 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	63263
    (still hard to get a photo shot that depicts the openness that is now created by this smaller peninsula)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1486.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	63264