Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Hiya gang!

Great to hear Sherrel ! I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you, even though its hard to do most things that way!

Went a little nuts at a train auction Monday. Keeping 2 Kato engines, a NCE Powercab, a NCE SB5 5 amp booster and a few structures of the lot, will be eBaying the rest. ;)

Naked hiking day?? Wait til I tell SWMBO!

images

They do kinda go together! ;):rolleyes:D:p:cool:

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
A late good morning. Off to a real busy start for the day and am finally finding the time to check in. Started off at 58 drgrees with an expected high in the low 80's and then cooling down throughout the rest of the week.

Sherrel - You seem to be in some good spirits. I thought you might want a beer when Terry said that you were hungry last night. Really happy for you that things went well.

Toot - Quite the layout in the video. Thanks for the post. I am going to ask some of the people at the club about the train wanting to run when the control is off. The other DC throttle does a really nice job running the RS-1 on DC.

Eric - That is quite the build you posted last night. A really nice job. Waited to comment until I could see a larger photo on the computer instead of the phone.

Willie - Nice job on the buildings. The town should start coming together soon, I hope.

Where's Trussrod ??? Hope that he didn't melt in the high temps.

Later

logandsawman

Good afternoon, 75 and mostly sunny.

Willie--really nice builds, keep it up!!

Sherrel, great to hear about the success to date!!

Trussrod

Good morning all, Been busy working on my 1989 Craftsman tractor and finally narrowed it down to the ignition coil that went bad after over 1,008 hours of use over the past many years. So I have one on order coming.

Recently the heat has been horrible, 110* yesterday and today the same. Not the most enjoyable to be outside unless your in the shade with a breeze blowing. Fortunately I generally have a nice breeze blowing, Thank God!

with the heat it's a constant battle to keep things watered enough and it seems I spend about 2 hours every day doing just that.

For the last three weeks I noticed that when I drove my car I had a definite pull to the steering wheel but only at one certain point in the Right front passenger tire per each rotation. Upon inspection I found that I must have hit something that really chew up the side wall to the extent I could peal some of the gash back and see the steel coards of the tire.

So this past Monday I decided to drive to Madera, about 35 miles down to the West in the valley. I took the back roads from my place which brought me out at Hwy 145 about 3 miles East of the beginning of Madera.

In traveling this way Hwy 145 dips under a BNSF Over pass and the was what seem to be a fairly long freight passing over head which I could see for the last half a mile as I approached the dip under the bridge above. Then I headed about another 2.5 miles approximately into the downtown area of the old farming community where I crossed over the Old SP Trackage just as I reached the Old 99 that ran through the West side of town but every thing was quiet. I turned North to go to my tire dealer about half a mile on the Left with some various old businesses across 99 on the West that back-up to the tracks. It took about out 30 minutes for them to start to work on my car and I kept watching and listening for the sound of a train to go by but nothing?? That seemed very odd as in the past it seemed that there was a train that would travel by either heading North or going South 15 miles down to the Fresno SP yard, but the line was quiet. After getting a new tire I headed North a bit up old 99 to a Jack-in-the Box and got something to eat and drink as their location has an unobstructed view the SP tracks and sat their as I ate my late lunch but never saw any activity on the Old SP Tracks. I'm not sure what was going on?

On the way back home traveling the back roads again I did notice where it looked like they were putting a much more modern bridge for the trains, maybe part of the high speed rail through Madera? But that was on what I referred to as the BNSF trackage that I crossed under before entering Madera when starting to enter the community. In actuality, maybe all the tracks in the Madera, Fresno area are owned by BNSF now?

As far as Sherrel: I'm also glad to know he is doing well and posting again. I've talked with him on occasion in the recent past.

Say Chet: Thanks for asking abboouutt mmee, yyyeeesss,,,,,, I'mm aaaaalllllmmmmoooooosssssttttt mmmeeelllllttteeeddd ! ! ! !

Last edited by a moderator:

BigE

GD trachiostomy crap!!!!!
I called MBK to add a little something to my order.
Apparently my speech is having a VERY bad day.
I feel for the guy trying to understand me.
He finally understood me when I gave him their own product code.
This is SO freaking aggravating!!!!
Rant off....

Trussrod

Good Morning All. 68° and clear today. Started to freeze some tomatoes yesterday. 2-3 dozen a day is more than we can eat! Later this week, I'll be making and freezing spaghetti sauce.
Progress report on the "four Fingered Tony's" structure. Still need the main sign and the soft drink box.
View attachment 61984
Aside from that, I recently built a "Smalltown" structure that I am using as a drug store.
View attachment 61985
This one still needs a sidewalk and pedestrians.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Say Willie: I almost forgot to let you know that I like your buildings, 'Four Fingered Tony's' is especially intresting. The awning adds a lot to it. The material the awing is made from seems very protypical in size as does it's supporting frame work. It would be interesting to know how you got it to look so realistic?

The Drug store looks interesting too as well as the building in the background that resembles a mine type structure.

Also, I thought I'd mention that I bought some new style interior/exterior calking that is very light and spreads like whip creme. I think it the same stuff sold as modeling putty only a whole lot less expensive. It should work great for filling in around the base boards so they blend in easier.

Nice modeling though.

GarryCBQ

Howdy ...

Toot ... I like the video you shared.
Willie ... Your buildings look great.
Eric ... The supply house looks good ... What supplies to are handled in that building ?
David in CA .... I don't know what was going on, but I wonder if it was a ghost train. Sounds like it disappeared.

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Hot, hot, hot today. I visited my friend in the downtown area this morning, then it was time to pick up the grand kids until they are picked up around 6 PM. Tomorrow a grocery run then after camp we are watching the boys Thursday and Friday.

Eric- Really nice job on the refinery and the supply building.

Ken- Nice looking modeling.

Toot- Great layout.

Willie- Great modeling.

Sherrel- I'm glad things went so well.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Flip

Just spoke to SHERREL. On way home in traffic, going from 10 mph to 70 mph and back again. Oh the joy of hiway driving. lol. Sounds in very good spirits

ERIC- your talent is formidable. Damn good work.
prayers for all,
Phil

Boris

Beach Bum
Good evening. 69° and cloudy. T-Storm dropped ½" of rain just before dinner.

Sherrel: Good to hear you are en route home after all the fun and games. Now, that wasn't so bad, was it? :rolleyes:

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
LOL,JOE, already dreading the next round. AND, CHET .. JUST GOT HOME After stopping by the kennel to get the dods. First thing I did was grab a beer and a glass full of ice! Don't laugh .. Its 105 out!

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Sherrell, good to hear you made it through the tough part. Now get on the mend and hopefully I'll see ya in early August.

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Garry, Willie and Curt [hope I didn't miss anyone?] - thanks for the kind words on my coke by-product facility!

Sherrell, glad you got thru this first phase of surgery.

Haven't accomplished anything photo-worthy as of late, been soaking up as many how-to videos as I can find to learn how to make Scenic Express Super-Trees. Some of them, I'm watching multiple times so I can do them "in my sleep".

Burlington Bob

Good morning, America, how are ya? It's 72° and partly cloudy with a slight chance of rain today. Galesburg is having their Railroad Days this weekend and I believe that BNSF is not participating. If I understand correctly, this is the second year of non-participation by BNSF. Didn't get to go last year because of schedule conflicts but looking better this year. A lot going on this time of year for us. Got to get a move on, got a lot on the plate today.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Scratching around on Y-tube again, found some more interesting things that have happened in NZ rail modelling since I left there in '86. Certainly blossomed some. The 1:64 "S" scale has gotten much bigger and varied, still kit based by by the look of it. Then there's NZR 9mill/P34 scale (9mm=12" 1:34) running on 32mm "O" gauge track and at the other end, NZ120 TT scale (2.5mm=12" 1:120) running on "N" gauge track. These seem to be also kit based, either Shapeways or Pewter, etched brass. Anyway here's a video of a 1:64, S gauge again based on a station and a short branchline, south of Auckland in the north island. Great in full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh_ohwESyM

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.