Converting Ho Layout To N Scale.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Nightwing

I just picked up a Bachmann N scale train set. I would like to duplicate my HO layout in N scale. My HO layout uses 15", 18" and 22" radius curves. N scale track is available in 11 1/4", 12 1/2", 14", 15 1/2", 17 1/2" and 19" radius. Is there a chart that shows how to convert HO to N? I don't want to have to buy a bunch of track in each radius just to be able to pick and choose what fits.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Use flex track. Back in the 70's I was in train withdrawal when I got out of the service, and being that I was stuck in an apartment, I started a small N sclae layout that I could slide under a bed. The folks at the hobby shop I went to suggested flex track as this would allow you to choose any radius you would need. When I finally moved back to Montana and had a basement, I incorporated the small layout into a large one wit over 11 scale miles of main line. I never used sectional track. Always flex track.

Here are a few photos of what I had.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Unfortunately, I tore the layout down around 1980 mainly because the locomotives in that era were lousy performers. You are lucky that the locomotives that are on the market today are great performers.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
That does present a problem. You could be in between a rock and a hard place and may have to invest in more track.

ianacole

Found here:http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/t/209783.aspx

tomikawaTT from thread said:
The absolute minimum `N scale from an HO track plan' reduction is HO/N = 18/9.75. By no coincidence whatsoever, Atlas 9.75 inch radius N scale track is equivalent to Atlas 18 inch radius HO track.

See Cuyama's post just underneath his as well for further clarification.

From this site: http://www.urbaneagle.com/data/RRconvcharts.html, you could multiply your curve radii by .544 to get the approximate N scale radii ...

15" HO = 8.16" N
18" HO = 9.8" N
22" HO = 12" N

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NP2626

Nightwing, do I have this right? You have an HO layout. You want to build another layout exactly like your HO layout; but, in N Scale? If this is correct, i would wonder why you would want to copy something you've already done?

Nightwing

Nightwing, do I have this right? You have an HO layout. You want to build another layout exactly like your HO layout; but, in N Scale? If this is correct, i would wonder why you would want to copy something you've already done?

Yes, I want to copy it without any spurs. It is a good layout.

N

NP2626

Good layout; or, not, my opinion would be "Been there, done that"! My layout is pretty good, too. However, I enjoy the designing and building; so, would never consider doing what you want to do. I'm not you and you certainly know what you want. Good luck. I assume with the chart that Ianacole made available to you, you have the information you need.

jdetray

Hi Nightwing -

Unless you already own a bunch of Bachmann N-scale EZ Track, there is no benefit (except for your familiarity with EZ Track) in using it for the N-scale version of your layout. You can build the N-scale version with track from any manufacturer.

However, since you seem to like EZ Track, here's how I would proceed.

It is unlikely that Bachmann N-scale EZ Track will have all of the track pieces required to simply swap N-scale pieces for HO pieces to create the N-scale version. The geometry is going to be a little bit off. What I would recommend is using track planning software to design the N-scale version. Bachmann N-scale EZ Track is included with many track planning programs, so you can be sure everything will fit properly before you purchase any N-scale track pieces. Even the free XTrackCAD program includes Bachmann N-scale EZ Track.

- Jeff

N

NP2626

Or, simply N scale buildings along the back, making it appear that the distance is greater to the back. However, you don't want to have HO scale trains run in the back of the layout, then.

Nightwing

Hi Nightwing -

Unless you already own a bunch of Bachmann N-scale EZ Track, there is no benefit (except for your familiarity with EZ Track) in using it for the N-scale version of your layout. You can build the N-scale version with track from any manufacturer.

However, since you seem to like EZ Track, here's how I would proceed.

It is unlikely that Bachmann N-scale EZ Track will have all of the track pieces required to simply swap N-scale pieces for HO pieces to create the N-scale version. The geometry is going to be a little bit off. What I would recommend is using track planning software to design the N-scale version. Bachmann N-scale EZ Track is included with many track planning programs, so you can be sure everything will fit properly before you purchase any N-scale track pieces. Even the free XTrackCAD program includes Bachmann N-scale EZ Track.

- Jeff

I downloaded that free program and can't figure out how to begin a layout, let alone find any reference to Bachmann EZ Track.

jdetray

I downloaded that free program and can't figure out how to begin a layout, let alone find any reference to Bachmann EZ Track.
Most of the track planning programs have a steep learning curve, and XTtrackCAD is no exception. XTrackCAD has lots of help and tutorials to get you started.

Within the program itself, go to Help > Demos. Go through the examples.

On the XTrackCAD web site, there is a Beginner's Tutorial and a UserGuide.

I was once as much in the dark about XTrackCAD as you are right now, and the demos and tutorials got me up and running.

By the way, the various track libraries are accessed under File > Parameter Files.

You might also want to post a drawing of your track plan in this thread. Someone might be willing to help you convert it to N-scale.

- Jeff

Nightwing

Most of the track planning programs have a steep learning curve, and XTtrackCAD is no exception. XTrackCAD has lots of help and tutorials to get you started.

Within the program itself, go to Help > Demos. Go through the examples.

On the XTrackCAD web site, there is a Beginner's Tutorial and a UserGuide.

I was once as much in the dark about XTrackCAD as you are right now, and the demos and tutorials got me up and running.

By the way, the various track libraries are accessed under File > Parameter Files.

You might also want to post a drawing of your track plan in this thread. Someone might be willing to help you convert it to N-scale.

- Jeff

Apparently, it is protected because I can't copy it. I will keep trying different ways.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.