Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

GarryCBQ

Terry ... evidently, postal service operating procedures specify packages are to be diverted if addressee is Terry in NC.

Dustin and Curt.... I'm glad you like the Berkshire photo.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
Louis I believe 'Bad Moon Rising' fits my predicament better- lol! - ,but Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm sorry, guys, but the Beach Boys come in second on 'California Dreaming' .. just can't beat the 'Mammas and the Poppas'.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Good evening. For anybody wondering, my shipment remains in Georgia. If it ever arrives, it's an HO Rivarossi U28C, Penn Central, I paid $50 for, NIB.

♫The package went down to Georgia.......♫♪ (there's a song out there like this...) :rolleyes:

Beady

I used to be stuck in the folk music of the 60s and 70s, but I've lately been taking advantage of my Amazon Prime membership to break out of my comfort zone. Right now, for example, I'm listening to Nina Simone, who I'd managed to never hear of. And then there's Billie Holiday; most people have heard of her, but how many people have heard her music.

That's just a couple, and I'm actually dismayed at everything I've missed and now have to catch up on. Do I have enough time?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Trussrod

Good evening Spike Drivers & Gandy Dancers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Things seem fairly busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner. Just some coffee and a Apple Fritter if you have any left? Oh, you do, good.

Clear
48.4 °F Feels Like 48 °F;

Winds are at 0.0, Wind Variable Gusts 0.0 mph. LoL

Pressure 29.97 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Windchill 48 °F
Dew Point 48 °F
Humidity 99% [No Rain but a lot of moisture.]
Rainfall 0.00 in Per my records I have: 28.93 inches.
Snow Depth Not available.

Louis I believe 'Bad Moon Rising' fits my predicament better- lol! - ,but Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I'm sorry, guys, but the Beach Boys come in second on 'California Dreaming' .. just can't beat the 'Mammas and the Poppas'.

Sherrel: Well, that may have been caused by what I wrote to Joe although from what Louis and others have said the Beach Boys did a version of, 'Calif., Dreaming, on such a Winters Day'

Louis: |Thanks for the verification, so there you have it.

Morning Chaps:
Have been up for a couple hours, guess I should check in. Temps will start going back up today to the 79-81 range and then start working higher the next 10 days they say. Those 70* days were very nice, but the wind made it seem cooler than it was.

Going to try and do some yard work today - the bushes in the back yard are outta control and I need to adjust a few of the sprinkler heads.
After much discussion with the Spousal Unit and family members, I have decided to proceed with the repair of the aneurism that is sitting next to my heart. I’m not looking forward to it at all as it requires (according to the surgeon) quite extensive re-plumbing to bypass the area and then seal it off. The aneurism has grown 14 % in the last year and is now approaching a size that they consider dangerous. Currently waiting to hear back from the doctors.

Say Sherrel: Glad you finally reached a decision, as Louis said, your a tough old bird with a lot of living to do yet so this is just another bump in the road of added annoyance!

David - Just heard from my Dr office - my thyroid test shows normal range, so I keep the current dosage. Oh well, at least no increase, but I always hope for a dosage decrease experiment.

Say Johnny: Glad to hear your doing well and feeling good. I'm doing a fair amount better as per the last test my dosage was increased by the amount extra I increased it by and have a lot more energy. I have to go back in toward the end of this month to have more blood drawn to check and see the results of the current doage of thyroid med.

Picky....
......Picky .....
..... ..... Picky ..... :p

Say Garry: There's always one in every group. LoL Karl thanks for the correction.

chessie_system3

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Finally over the hump. It's all downhill to the weekend. I can't go to Clifton Forge this weekend but I can stay local and catch some railroad action. I was going to take some pics when I was at the Pepsi Logan location. I kid you not all that separates our facility from the tracks is a chain link fence. I am still waiting on a coal drag to come through. We had a couple trucks down so I couldn't catch anything to share. There is one C&O signal left standing there. It is still operating. The rest are the new signals. I'm dying to get a photo of it. Along with the rusty bridge they use to come across the river. Oh and trees! Lots of em! Just seems to be typical West Virginia.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Bruette

Terry I can see how this stuff happens. Amazon has given me access to their own customized version of GPS. Once I scan the packages it creates what should be the shortest/fastest route. Most of the time it is flawless, but occasionally it will try to send me back and forth across my area. Technology is great, when it works and it can never be any better than the person who programed it.

Raincoat2

Good morning everyone. 41 and clear here in SW MO, will hit 63 today, then rain and storms and possible flooding all the way through Sunday. Getting tired of the rain.

Still waiting for any responses to my question yesterday about using Arizona rock for ballast.

Still laying down roadbed and track, and positioning structures around the layout.

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 44° and partly cloudy right now. Should be 85° by tomorrow afternoon. Headed out for the grocery/beer trek in a little while.
Still adding more details to existing structures on the layout. Vent pipes, downspouts, chimneys, sidewalks, etc. Doing some touch-up painting to some people and other details like junk piles and barrels. Added license plates to another half dozen vehicles as well. I think that this is an important item that many people overlook. Some even got drivers. Still can't figure out what to do with my growing collection of amputated legs and scalped heads needed to make them fit!

Johnny - Can't directly answer regarding Arizona ballast since I don't use it, but the prototype mainlines in my area tend to have slightly larger ballast than the sidings and spurs. I use the same size regardless, just use different shades. I guess that's good news from your doctor. Keep on keepin' on.
Sherrel - Glad that you made what seems to be the right decision. You'll never know that they did the re-plumbing as you will be asleep. It all beats the alternative.
Ken in MD - Like Chet posted, scenery isn't hard to do. For me though, it gets boring quickly, which explains why I have only 15% of the layout scenery done!
Curt - Thanks for the update on Phil. I wish he'd visit us here though. I did get a flurry of E-Mails from him the other day.
Justin - Too bad about the train show, you could still go and not spend any money there. I regularly do that.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning all. Starting off at 34 degrees with a couple of inches of heavy wet snow on the ground. The snow changed to rail when I got to lower elevations. Hope it's not like this tomorrow. I will be heading to Butte tomorrow and sure don't want to go over the pass in the snow with summer tires on the car.

Terry - That package is going to have a lot of miles on it. I have a package coming from Charlotte, but with UPS. If it shows up at your place, let me know.

Louis - I'm not totally impressed with GPS units. I have a GPS app on my phone which I use from time to time and it is normally pretty good. We have had some of out drivers who have GPS units for commercial vehicles get totally lost. Some times shippers will notify us not to have drivers use their GPS units and give is the correct directions to their location. A couple of years ago when our bowling partners and my wife and I were heading to Reno, NV for a national bowloing tournament, John brought his Garmin which he used for wor. He had just had it updated. Don't know why he brought it as I have made the trip a number of times. Right off the bat it wanted us to go the wrong way. Instead of going south through West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls, the Garmin wanted us to go west on the interstate to Butte and then south to Idaho Falls from there. An extra 100 miles. When we finally got to West Yellowstone, the Garmin recalculated and was good until we got into Reno. I had stayed at the hotel we were going to a few times. John, who was driving at the time was going to follow the Garmin directions which wanted us to take another exit, but I had him go the way I knew.which was just a few blocks from the interstate. I wonder how many extra miles people have drives following GPS directions.

Ken in MD - When I finally got going on my scenery after looking at open grid work for a couple of years I was really suprised at how fast it could go. Seeing the change in the layout I was spurred on to do more and was so happy to see the dramatic change. You have to post some photos after you get some done.

On Saturday I will be heading over to the old Northern Pacific depot which is now a museum. There is an open house and the model railroad club will be operating the layout. A member of another forum will be there and said that there will be some items for sale also. It will be nice to meet the guy from the other forum in person also. This doesn't happen very often out here so I couldn't pass it up. Gotta remember to charge the battery in the cam corder. If I get and good video or photos, I will post them.

Later.

Last edited by a moderator:

logandsawman

Good morning, 34 and light snow. A dusting accumulated in open spaces overnight. A couple days ago it was 70.

Been going through all the old Banta papers, since the passing of my parents. They saved tons of stuff. Here is a "Bill of Lading" when they shipped 2 head of horses (weighing 3500#), a bob sled, a complete farm wagon, a set of team harnesses, and some other stuff I could not read (weighing 2150 #).

The road is the Soo Line

IMG_0960.jpg

It was shipped from Copas, MN on 3/17/1913, sent to Lancaster Minnesota;

It looked like the car was CP and the car number 73666

This work was done by my great grandfather Isaac Marion Banta. He had a dredge and dug ditches throughout minnesota from about 1904 to 1920. They saved most of their invoices and contracts.

Burlington Bob

Good morning America; how are ya? It's 44° in Clinton with a high forecast of 58° and windy. Right now it feels like 38°. Spring was nice while it lasted!

Thanks Beady, I checked on it and I see they have two versions, the regular free one and Tapatalk Pro which costs $3.00. Which do you recommend?

Got to get up and around, everyone be careful!

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Bob - I have been using the free Tap Talk app for years and it works well. Yhe only problem I have is that I really hate to peck on the phone trying to type and some times the auto spell can really screw up a post is you're not careful.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Guys: Many GPS systems can't locate our residence and the calls from shippers are common asking if we really exist. I stopped the GPS service on my truck since the truck knows the way from our house to our cabin.

Rained the entire night. Back to cool weather.

Cabin tomorrow and will pull the battery from our sports car and charge it for the season. The battery sits for 6 months and will lose its charge.

Will work on the layout this afternoon.

Greg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.