Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Good evening gang!

Curt great structure build (as usual)

Eric You continue to impress me. Something you said about wondering why the trains were still an interest struck a chord with me. After my stroke in 2002, once I could get out of the bed and stand (with a walker) I wanted to get downstairs A.S.A.P.! I was home, doing therapy 3 days a week, SWMBO had returned to work and #3 son was "babysitting" Dad. Him, being 6'2 and 350 lbs tried to stop me from going down stairs one day. I simply told him he could do it with or without me and my thought was to get down the steps before me and give me a soft place to land if I fell! See. the trains are something a broken body can focus on, it stirs our passions and gives us motivation. Keep that close and use it to carry you. It can't hurt!:cool:

Sunday I made it to the B&O historical society's new facility. Nice place, massive records storage, some documents go back pre turn of the century (no, not the last one, the one before that!) Met KenL there, plus some friends from the Western Maryland Histerical society (which I am part of). Nice facility! Looking forward to the Mini Con there this summer!

Been spring cleaning around here, chopping bushes, trimming trees, painting walls and cleaning out closets. I've also been feeding the eBay beast things I have had laying around.
Well, SWMBO is painting on the bedroom wall,,,better go find out what that expletive that just fell on my ears is all about! :rolleyes:

Boris

Beach Bum
Good evening, still 50 and still cloudy. Looks like a Coastal storm tomorrow.

Louis: Down by 1 in the 6th, oops change that, tied 3-3, in the bottom of the 6th. Ubaldo is back to normal :confused:. Time to put this one outta reach. Man, I'm lost without Hockey.

Curt: The Terminal Office building is fantastic. BTW, it changes the whole perspective of the LCL Yard. Nice!

Eric: Nice work buddy. Keep it up.

Sherrel: Great Signature - LOL.

Sirfoldalot

Days Gone Bye!
Staff member
KARL's signature cracks me up as well; I am reminded of the scene from 'Independence Day' when Randy Quaid is sitting in the F-15 cockpit and pushes a button and the computer says, "misssells armed", and he says, "aww crap"!

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
KARL's signature cracks me up as well; I am reminded of the scene from 'Independence Day' when Randy Quaid is sitting in the F-15 cockpit and pushes a button and the computer says, "misssells armed", and he says, "aww crap"!

I'm not one to read directions, Sherrel, I learn best by doing. One night at the club I was heard to utter that statement, and another member wouldn't let me forget it, so it stuck!

Beady

Sigh...
I ordered an item through Amazon, which went from Ontario, CA to Charlotte, NC. It then left Charlotte, via USPS. It is now in East Point, Georgia...
It happens. It recently took three weeks for a Lego Krusty the Clown to get to me from California, 1st class postage.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Bruette

I'm sitting in the cell phone lot at BWI waiting for my wife and son to get off the plane. This is my first time using this app, I hope it works.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Trussrod

Good late night --ah I mean early morning, it now 12:05 Am Tuesday when I started to post on Monday night.

Hi Francine where's Flo? Oh she's in the back room catching some sleep, I see. Just some coffee so I can stay awake and finish this post. I'm sure glad you ladies keep Jeffreys' Dinner open so late for me. I'll have to give you a special tip for that!

Per Wunderground Weather:
Partly Cloudy at 44.8 °F - Feels Like 45 °F;
Winds are at 2.0 mph from the WNW with Gusts to 4.9 mph;

Pressure 30.00 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
Windchill 45 °F
Dew Point 45 °F
Humidity 99%
Rainfall 0.00 in

Curt & Johnny: I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and have seen them in concert several times since 1980. I have most of their original, early released albums just played twice to record the songs on reel to reel. Most people don't know that Jan & Dean sang in some of the Beach Boys records (until some worried about royalties) and Glen Campbell was part of the group for awhile.

Jan and Dean, the Hondels and others sounded great as well.

Memories...Surf City, Little Duce Coupe, California Girls and others....!

Say Greg: The Beach Boys sure had a great group along with Jan & Dean as well as Glen Campbell in the 60's and a bit later. The songs you mentioned where enjoyed by everyone back then. 'California Dreaming' was another of their great songs. Good times for sure!
That sure does bring back some fond memories growing up in Woodland Hills at almost the extreme West end of the San Fernando Valley with just Calabasas to the West. I graduated HS in '63 and Surfing was a big craze then, there were a couple of buddies who used to go over to the cost quite often, a 14 mile drive trough Topanga Canyon, a really curvy drive to the Pacific Ocean then a couple of miles North to Malibu Beach or other areas. I think there was a Trolley line that followed the cliffs along the cost for a ways too that I'd go under just prior to reaching Hwy 101 just North of Santa Monica.
I didn't surf on a board but was a very good swimmer and used to body surf and had some great rides.

Morning Troops!
Temps all over the place here lately: 95 on Sat, 81 on Sun, and forcast 72 today. Those couple 95 days were a wake up call that summer is coming.

Ken in VA- I agree with Louis: I can't tell you what to do, but in my case .. after I lost my lab 10 years ago .. within a couple months I found another to occupy the empty feeling that I had. Still really miss that Lab, but in a happy way thinking about the love she gave everyone.

Louis - You crack me up! That's it .. They need a "foul ball" rule in golf. I threw my clubs in the trash can (at the golf course in ABQ) some 35 years ago. Never did enjoy the game .. just played because some friends always wanted to play. They were way to serious - used to drive me bonkers! I broke a hundred several times - sometimes on the first nine!

Chet - Your grade crossing looks very good. I like the auto you found as well. That Burma Shave is a classic - also brought back memories of sitting in my dad's lap and steering his P/U.

BBob= it's good to see you back on here. You were missed. I agree .. the next two years will go by pretty fast! Then they will fly by faster than you want!

Say Sherrel: Your story to Louis reminded me of a skit Foster Brooks, 'The Old Drunk', did about his golf game and his always slicing the ball into the rough some where and the caddy having to go looking for it. Then when the caddy lost his ball in the ball washer he indignantly told him, 'You have to be one of the worst caddy's I seen'! To which the caddy replied, 'I don't think so, that would be too much of a coincidence'!!

Eric- Great job. Are you going to do a old west layout?

Johnny- This is the main perspective.

20170424_181113_zpsrbbu7y9y.jpg

Say Curt: That a very nice job you did on the building and choosing colors as well as weathering and the roof too.

Monday morning, back work.
43 weeks and I'm done with this and I will be on with the final phase of my life.
I miss seeing Sean at the back door in the morning or during the day. I can't help but keep looking for him there. Just force of habit now.

Say Ken: It's very normal, at least to my thinking to want to see your pet again as you remember them. I lost a female Calico cat who was the sweetest little girl when she was still fairly young sortly after having her fixed. I don't know what happened exactly but I watcher her go up the slight bank behind the house as her and her brother had done many times before when running around playing. I remember her turning her head around to see if I was watching the she went behind some taller grass and was out of sight and that's the last I ever saw of her. I still miss her too and still look for her and it been well over a year and a half at this point. Fortunately I still have her brother and he sticks around home fairly close. He even used to go looking for his sister too.

So it hard to forget your pets. I've also had a couple of dogs I grew very fond of too. At least you have a good picture of Sean to remember him by.

> Continued:

Trussrod

> Resumed:

Good morning, everyone. I'll have a big cup of coffee and an old fashioned doughnut. 48 heading to 75 today. Beautiful day yesterday, so I got the mowing done. Today and tomorrow will be sunny, then back to rain for a few days. A vicious circle, if you ask me.

My wife and I went to a Beach Boys and Temptations concert Friday night - that was a nice two-fer. My kids gave me the tickets at Christmas. Great seats, great concert. I think only two of the Temptations remain from the original group, and with the Beach Boys (my favorite vocal group) just Mike Love and Bruce Johnston are from the 60's lineup. The Temptations performed for just under an hour, and then the Beach Boys played for almost two hours straight. Man they nailed it - several of the songs were better than the originals, and without studio enhancement. The sax player hit the Kokomo sax solo note-for-note. I sang every song except three (two of them I'd never heard).
View attachment 61426

David - I'm on thyroid meds too - pretty much under control though.

Did some landscaping work on the layout over the weekend. Need several TOs, and waiting for them in an MBKlein shipment. Wasn't able to pinpoint the problem with that one Atlas TO - Willie's suggestion may be the right answer - will have to work on it some more.

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Say Johnny:
I think my new dosage seem to be working out fairly well, maybe it could be reduced just a bit? I'll find out toward the end of this month when they check my blood again.

Evening All,

I just remembered I hadn't posted today! I finished the kit today and planted it on the layout. Unfortunately because of the location and angle of the camera I have a lousy photo. I will take another tomorrow on the work bench.

Bob- Good to see you back. Believe me, two years will go by quickly.

Sherrel/Willie- Another case of writing down the wrong name.:confused:

David- You need to be careful. We aren't youngun's any more.

Willie- I have two that I made from a kit I got for Christmas several years ago.

Bob- Stay safe.

Justin- Great pics. I like the yard one best.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: Thanks for your words of concern, and your right of course. Fortunately I've got good strong bones and have never broke any thank God. I guess my Guardian Angele/s are watching over me?

I did get a 300 game last year, but it took 16 years from the previous 300 game. There have been occasions when my team members had to remind me that we were bowling, and not playing golf as the high score wins.

Say Chet: At least you can poke fun at yourself, that's important. I laugh at some of the things I do too quite often like when I lost my ballace on the low bank and wound up falling back on my back and still holding on to the weedeater with both hands over me. I could only imagine how funny that must have looked.

Good Morning Everyone. A chilly (for this time of year) 44° and clear with light winds out of the north. Shut the dang door Chet!
OK! here is a picture of many of the motorcycles that I have been assembling and painting.
View attachment 61416
The four on the left came from JL Innovative Design and are 1947 Indian motorcycles. The three on the right (2-unfinished) are more modern from DPM. I still have eight more DPM's and three more JL's left to start.

David - Dang, you certainly keep strange hours. From the time stamp, you posted at 3:00 am this morning! Be careful out there.

Everybody have a great Sunday.

Willie

Say Willie: Yeah, working the Grave Yard Shift is a real PIA for sure. Maybe one of these days I get my schedule straightened out. It's now 1:45 Am and I still have to finish the laundry which intails hand wrining out a tub of clothes as my machine will not spin the close dry. Something to do with the stepper motor[?] that allows the higher speed so the basket will spin faster.

Ah yes back to the norm. I'll leave this here for y'all.
dbedd59a1f6ad325b50dc149124d8c7e.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Say Justin: Very nice pictures indeed. The shot of the water column reminds me of an HO Gauge model I ordered from Titchy that was just like that and had very fine detail of some of the lines on it over the filler spout. I painted it during the winter and to help the Flo Quil paint dry a bit faster I figured I hold it over the toaster at a reasonable height to speed the drying time. Well even though I thought I held it high enough above the toaster and my hand or fingers weren't getting very hot it melted the fine detail!

Say Sherrel: I sure as hell hope there was a de-activate button or switch! That will teach him to play touch and see!

Boris

Beach Bum
Good morning, y'all. 49° and raining. Today is supposed to be cold and wet.

Karl: I haven't followed things B&O for quite a while, where is the B&ORRHS building located? Is this being operated as a museum, or is it for artifact storage and retrieval?

David: California Dreaming, wasn't that The Mommas and Poppas with Big Cass Elliot?

Justin: Nice Photos. Your layout keeps getting better.

Sherrel: We aim to please :)

Louis: That was a fantastic comeback. As Joe Bowen would say, "Holy Mackinaw"! By the end of the game, there were hardly any fans in the stands. Not surprising with the late rain delays the cold and the wet. Nationals, suffered a complete fail in Colorado last night.

Tonight, there is hockey :rolleyes:Smashville @ St. Louis and the Oilers @ the Dismal Ducks. Should be an interesting round. Thursday, Penguins @ the Caps.

Raincoat2

Curt & Johnny: I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and have seen them in concert several times since 1980. I have most of their original, early released albums just played twice to record the songs on reel to reel. Most people don't know that Jan & Dean sang in some of the Beach Boys records (until some worried about royalties) and Glen Campbell was part of the group for awhile.

Jan and Dean, the Hondels and others sounded great as well.

Memories...Surf City, Little Duce Coupe, California Girls and others....!

Greg - Yes - memories of surfing, cars, girls, high school friends, etc. Love it. Interestingly, at the concert the Temptations were slightly higher-energy than the Beach Boys. Even Otis Williams, the only remaining original member of the 1960 Temptations, did his dance moves and moved around pretty well - and he must be about 74/75! The Beach Boys were low energy by comparison, with Mike Love and Bruce Johnston hardly moving at all and occasionally joking about their age. But their singing and musicianship were impeccable - those guys can still hit the notes and put on a great show!

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I have never been able to understand hockey or the playoff process. Just like basketball. Ya hear all this hype about playoffs but the season seems to continue on for months. Heck, I didn't realize hockey was only three periods until just a few years ago. Wondering why the TV went to another program when there was still one 1/4 left to play.
Heck, basket ball has a March madness. I thought that was playoffs. Then the final fours. I guess there are quite a few fours out there, but months later the season grinds on.
Football is easy to follow. Playoffs begin. Ya get beat one time, ya turn your jerseys in and go home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raincoat2

Good morning all. A cup of coffee and a cinnamon doughnut, please, Flo. 55 here in SW MO heading for 81 today - sunny today followed by 5 days of rain - sigh.

Curt - Nice look with that building on your layout.
Eric - great to see your buildings moving forward.
Terry - cue "Twilight Zone" theme again.
David - I just had a blood draw yesterday to check my thyroid numbers. I'll know in a day or two whether I keep the current prescription or change it. Hoping - - -

Nothing really new from the train room - working on laying track to finish the first complete loop. I figure it's easier to do that and then build landscaping around the tracks. I do need to remember to take a photo or two and post.

See ya later. have a good day everyone.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 62° and clear today. Well the yard is in remission right now. Not enough rain fell the other day to cause any growth spurts. Switching my outdoor activities over to tree thinning/removal and minor pruning. Starting on that firewood stack for 2018/2019. Slight lull in the garden as well, I'll be picking green peas and broccoli by the end of the week though. Spotted little tomatoes all over the place, so I'll be picking them in about three or four weeks.
Out in the train shed, I continued with detailing and ground cover.

Johnny - Quite the concert pairing. I always liked both groups. Only saw the Beach Boys live once around '67 or '68; never got to see the Temptations. Of course there's lots of videos on YouTube now. By the way, did Mike Love do the sax solo, or did they use a guest musician? He still did occasional sax during the concert that I saw. By the time that I saw them, Brian Wilson had stopped touring, but the rest of the band was great.
Greg - Retired. Isn't it a wonderful state to be in? Of course there's no days off! LOL
Curt - The building looks great planted where it is. I agree with the slight angle.
Eric - Wow! Great job.
Joe - You are correct about California Dreamin', it was the Mamas and the Papas. The Beach Boys did release a version, but that was in 1986...20 years after the original. Trivia: John and Michelle Philips originally wrote the song in 1963 and it was recorded and released by Barry McGuire in 1965, prior to the Mamas & the Papas 1966 recording.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Raincoat2

Willie:

"Johnny - Quite the concert pairing. I always liked both groups. Only saw the Beach Boys live once around '67 or '68; never got to see the Temptations. Of course there's lots of videos on YouTube now. By the way, did Mike Love do the sax solo, or did they use a guest musician? He still did occasional sax during the concert that I saw. By the time that I saw them, Brian Wilson had stopped touring, but the rest of the band was great."

Mike didn't do the sax solo - in fact the only thing Mike did besides singing was play the tambourine on occasion. The sax work was done by a guy named Randy Leago, who has been with the touring band since the early 2000's I believe. Jeff Follett and Scott Totten did the lead and rhythm guitar work, and both have been with the Beach Boys touring band for quite a few years. Scott did most of the guitar solos and breaks, much like Carl Wilson did when he was alive. He's a really good guitarist. By the way, John Cowsill is the band's drummer - remember the Cowsills? A family band from the late 60's with a few hit songs. John is an excellent drummer, and during the concert sang background vocals and sang lead on "Old Cotton Fields Back Home."

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. 37 degrees with a rain snow mix. YUK.

The Beach Boys were the thing when I was growing up. Had my '69 Chevelle with the optional 8 track player and a number of their tapes. Many years ago when my daughter, who is now 40 and was around 8 at the time went nuts over the Beach Boys when I put a tape of them on. She's still a fan.

Eric - That is some excellent work there buddy. It is nice to hear that you are gaining the use of your hands. Don't think I could do much better.

Curt - Nice job on the building. Really like where you put it. Nice pics.

Karl - I would love to visit the B & O facility. Jealous. Who knows, maybe some day.

Justin - Any word on the pay raise. More trains ?????? Grin.gif

Louis - I use Tap Talk a lot because I usually have my 'puter off at home. The problem is that I really hate to type on the phone. I have had a few instances when auto spell messed me up.

chessie_system3

Good morning gents. Rainy start to my day today. So with the rain comes layout time! I may come up with something else to add later. I have been moving assets to our Logan facility. With that comes another C&O subdivision. The Logan sub. In which I have spotted a still in service C&O signal! I'd really like to capture it. Our Logan facility actually sits next to the mainline there. All the times I have been there and not one train. Kinda brings me down some. No word on the pay raise yet as nobody knows what is going on with it. Gives me all the more reason to run my trains to keep that out of my thoughts.
b91917c0f91244cf619dd88e66ac440f.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.