Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Good morning gang,
60° and raining, looking for clearing and 80° today, read that humid! :p

The following statement is not an endorsement of any deity, or religion, or belief system, merely an expression of relief!

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!! :cool:

Bruette

Ken in VA I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. It is hard enough to lose one of our furry family members, but it must be much harder not knowing what happened.

I wish I had some charmed thing to say to make you feel better, but all I have to offer is my support.

Raincoat2

Good morning, everyone. Make room in the booth for one more. Flo, I'll have a cup and a jelly doughnut, please. 52 and goin' nowhere here in SW MO - rainy and stormy all day.

Curt - like everyone else, I say nice work on that building. It's gonna look great when it's done.
Ken in VA - I echo other's sympathies about your cat.
Terry - Happy last Monday of the week!

I've got a model rr mystery for you sleuths to help me solve. I've got about 12 TOs now in the layout. Most are Atlas snapswitches, with four Peco. They all work fine except for one Atlas, which happens to be the last one I put in. I have two engines (hey, don't laugh - I'm still new to the hobby, remember?) - one is an Athern Genesis G22674 F3A with a wheel configuration of 4-4; the other is a Broadway Limited GE C30-7 with a wheel configuration of 6-6. The 6-6 is bigger, longer, and heavier than the 4-4. Here's what happens: the 6-6 takes that TO just fine going straight or turning out; the 4-4 runs fine if the switch is straight, but when I change to the siding it derails every time - - doesn't lose power, just tries to run in between straight and turnout (into the "vee"). If I turn off power and push that 4-4 through the turnout, it follows the rails just fine; it's when I run it electrically that it derails. I've checked the turnout rails and they look fine. I've checked the engine's wheels and, even though I'm newbie enough to not know exactly what I'd be looking for, I don't see anything wrong with the wheels, dirt, hair, or anything else. Hellp!!! Is it the weight of the bigger engine that helps it through that TO? Is the TO bad and needs to be replaced? All suggestions appreciated and will be checked on over the weekend.

Thanks, all. Have a good day, everyone.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Good Morning All. 67° and clear this morning. Expecting 80° again today, then two days of only 70° for a high. 90° by Wednesday. Grocery/beer trek took a little longer yesterday than usual, since my wife came along, now that she's on hiatus. Of course that means unemployment checks start rolling in soon. After napping, I did do some more mowing in time for it to rain tonight and start the cycle over.
For something a little different in the train shed yesterday, I started to try to catch up on ground throw installations. I only got 6 done, 45 to go! That brings the completed up to 70, and 12 remotes. Maybe I put in too many industries? Nah! Made some trees and weathered two boxcars for diversity. Maybe back to detailing and scenery today...still have over 150' of track to paint and ballast that I would like to get to someday.

Joe - I appreciate your view on the passenger trains even though I don't model any and I don't even model the northeast at all. I like the RR history from an insiders point of view.
Louis - When's the first "crab cake fest" at your house this year? I remember that you have praised your wife's crab cakes in the past.
Terry -
a pair of 55 gallon drums in series...
Believe it or not, there are still a few of those around here. Un-permitted of course. Heck, they didn't even require permits where I live until around 2005, and it's actually very loosely enforced. They really don't care if you have problems unless someone complains. There is a man that owns a septic pumping company that lives about two miles away, who dumps his trucks every day in rotating cow pastures. Has the greenest pastures around. When his company pumped mine a few years back, I was unsuccessful in getting his hired hands to dump the truck in my hayfield.
Curt - I've said it before and will repeat it, you certainly move quickly when modeling. Very nice progress.
Sherrel - Good news regarding the "exit ramp".
Ken (D&J) - Too bad about the cat. I feel a certain emptiness whenever one of my strays disappears.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
Johnny, I've had Genesis F units and Geeps that did that, and it turned out there was "something" fouling the truck sideframes, and preventing them from rotating. I would check the steps at the rear of the front truck, as well as watching closely the top edge of the truck sideframe, to see if something interferes with it.
Hopefully, I'll have a few minutes over the weekend to compile a list and maybe some photos for you.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Good morning. 34 degrees and overcast. Had a bit of rain/snow mix in the valley, but no accumulation. The mountains did get a dusting of snow.

A jelly doughnut sounds good. Black coffee also.

Curt - the building is looking sweet. I'll be waithing for an updated shot. Nice build.

Johnny - I think what Willie suggested would be the first thing to look at. I am not that familiar with Atlas snap switches as I haven't used them in decades, but they are not the highest of quality. Put a straight edge across the turnout to make sure that the rails and frog are at the same height.

Ken in VA - Sorry to hear that your cat hasn't shown up. It is amazing how you can get attached to an animal.

Terry - How are things at work with out the A hole ?

Toot - No video today ???? Hotsa matta for you. Enjoy watching them in the mornings.

Yes, it is Friday. Tonight is the last night of bowling league until next September. We are amond the four teams that will be in the roll of for the league championship. I do really enjoy the Friday night league, but after 32 weeks, it is nice to take a break for a while.

Raincoat2

Johnny, I've had Genesis F units and Geeps that did that, and it turned out there was "something" fouling the truck sideframes, and preventing them from rotating. I would check the steps at the rear of the front truck, as well as watching closely the top edge of the truck sideframe, to see if something interferes with it.
Hopefully, I'll have a few minutes over the weekend to compile a list and maybe some photos for you.

Terry - thanks for those tips. I'll check this weekend. Looking forward to the list and photos.

GarryCBQ

Good morning ..... Coffee and a pecan roll, please.

We attended a military funeral yesterday. The old soldier will be missed.

Lately, we have been invested with chipmunks. So, I'm trapping them and hauling them across the bridge to release them in the Land Between the Lakes where they can live peacefully until a predictor gets them.

I'm anxious to get back to the model railroad. Too much other stuff going on.

Cheers.

Beady

Sounds like what is known here as a "Long drop".
Fun fact:

Seriously, there was a gold mine in California, during the Sutters Mill gold rush days, that had a secret entrance through an outhouse.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Beady

Another morning and no cat at the back door waiting for breakfast.
I remember when we had a dog run off in the middle of Anchorage, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach for days afterwards. Then, 20 or so years later, in Vermont, a cat wandered off into the woods, where fox and coyotes were too abundant.

We got lucky both times, but I know too well how it feels. Hang in there.

Beady

Good morning gang,
60° and raining, looking for clearing and 80° today, read that humid! [emoji14]

The following statement is not an endorsement of any deity, or religion, or belief system, merely an expression of relief!

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!! :cool:
RAmen!

Beady

It is amazing how you can get attached to an animal.
I wouldn't say amazing, more gratifying and hopeful.

We're not the only species that can form attachments with other species; for one thing, don't ignore that our animals also form attachments with us. Then, dogs can bond with each other to the point where shelters will insist they be adopted as a pair. I've seen documentaries that show the oddest pairings: a hippo and a giant tortoise, even a lion and a deer. There was one where a zoo(?) went out of business and the rescue organization had to put a bear, a tiger and a lion together in the same enclosure. And, of course, the mutual bond between humans and canines has gone beyond being legendary.

Actually, inter-species affection is pretty commonplace. Even so, I feel a little bit of awe when I think about it. It's a real indication that we really are part of something bigger than ourselves.

Sorry. Started to get a little maudlin there.

[/lecture]
6ccb83ca23dd6df28d9d02a449ec4edc.jpg

2e1e7a092edfc4323a00b28342c6d248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.