Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Cares Anyway....!

Default Who Cares Anyway....!

My layout falls somewhere in the era of 1960 to mid-1980's. But, I use some latitude when running trains like a stray DMIR locomotive or Wisconsin Central switcher making an appearance on the layout when I am basically a Milwaukee Road or C&NW fan. Hey, I even have some old Milwaukee Road rib side box cars on a spur near some spotless Wisconsin Central (former SOO) box cars.

On Tuesday, I ran a BNSF locomotive that pulled some vintage box cars. I mix old ore cars with newer versions. I like steam and my two steamers a 0-8-0 switchers and a 80 ton shay pull a business car on a tourist run. Cabooses rule, but I have a covered hopper with a FRED flashing away.

I admired the modeler who layout stays within a specific era for the rolling stock, buildings, signage, vehicles and other details.

But, who else breaks away from operating only specific equipment for a specific era? Does anyone really care anyway?

Thanks.

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

2. Default

Ah yes. My railroad. My rules. I like the idea!

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
    Justin

N 42D 45' 23.59", W 84D 35' 10.87" MSL +847

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@mnrr View Post
    My layout falls somewhere in the era of 1960 to mid-1980's. But, I use some latitude when running trains like a stray DMIR locomotive or Wisconsin Central switcher making an appearance on the layout when I am basically a Milwaukee Road or C&NW fan. Hey, I even have some old Milwaukee Road rib side box cars on a spur near some spotless Wisconsin Central (former SOO) box cars.

On Tuesday, I ran a BNSF locomotive that pulled some vintage box cars. I mix old ore cars with newer versions. I like steam and my two steamers a 0-8-0 switchers and a 80 ton shay pull a business car on a tourist run. Cabooses rule, but I have a covered hopper with a FRED flashing away.

I admired the modeler who layout stays within a specific era for the rolling stock, buildings, signage, vehicles and other details.

But, who else breaks away from operating only specific equipment for a specific era? Does anyone really care anyway?

Thanks.

Greg
    Era? We don't need no stinkin' eras!

I don't pay any attention to eras, geography, lines, or anything else. If it strikes my fancy, I run it.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
    I don't care what you do to the women and children, just leave me alone!

I do stay with one particular era. I really don't have much of a choice. When I was in the early planning stages of the layout, I picked the summer of 1957 to be my time. This was before I even laid the first rail. As I was gathering freight equipment and locomotives, I got nothing newer than 1957. I was even reading the box car date on the freight cars to make sure I didn't have anything out of my time period.

There are a few discrepancies that I know, but most people wouldn't. By 1957, the northern Pacific had dropped their old pine tree paint scheme for their passenger equipment in favor of the new Lowey paint scheme in 1954. I pass this off by having my railroad leasing older NP equipment that hasn't been repainted yet. (My railroad, my rules).

I have been tempted quite a few times by newer locomotives but so far have resisted.

5. Default

I run what I enjoy running, and HOW I enjoy running them. When my critic offers to start paying for my new lusts, and for the upkeep of my road, and my power requirements, I will happily give her/him some say in my decision-making.
    Crandell

I will admit that I like modern equipment and locomotives and wouldn't mind running them on my layout, but I sure can't see spending the money that they want for some of the new locomotives I have seen. Guess I'm just cheap. I just don't want to part with the $$$ to get equipment that I wouldn't use on an every day basis.

When visiting my model railroad friends in Missouri, I have operated during their opens house a few times. They are open for two days and do something very interesting. One day they may be operating modern equipment and at the end of the day the layout under goes quite a change. All of the vehicles are changed to older vehicles. A lot of the buildings and industries on the layout have older building that were built to exactly fit the same space as modern buildings on the layout.

The next day quite a few people returned to see the older equipment roaming the tracks. Quite a change to the layout in a rather short period of time. I do have some photos that I will try to find showing the change over. Very impressive.

Because I really enjoy the look and feel of trolleys and interurbans, and simply can't stand the look of most modern, especially LRVs, I'm bound to a specific era. And I agree:

CABEESE RULE!
    Kevin

General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

I mostly stick with postwar steam with some diesel 1946-56, but I also have some older models and some newer depending on if I like the model. The point here is to enjoy yourself, not inflict pain. The key is following your interest.
    Last edited by Espeefan; 04-06-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Alan

Modeling Espee on the Coast and in steam

Quote Originally Posted by Red Oak & Western View Post
    Because I really enjoy the look and feel of trolleys and interurbans, and simply can't stand the look of most modern, especially LRVs, I'm bound to a specific era. And I agree:

CABEESE RULE!
    Oh boy another traction guy! I'm mostly an SP guy but I have minors in Santa Fe and the Pacific Electric. I also have a nice collection of Bowser PCC's
    Alan

Modeling Espee on the Coast and in steam

Mmm... what era involves an SD50 pulling wooden reefer and a caboose? That's my era.