Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mantua and Tyco Booster 0-4-0 and Little Six 0-6-0?

Default Mantua/Tyco tank 0-4-0 and 0-6-0?

Does anyone know if the Mantua/Tyco Booster 0-4-0 and Little Six 0-6-0 have any basis in fact; or, are they the figment of someone's imagination? Both the Booster and Little Six use the same boiler and cab castings. I am in the process of re-building and re-motoring the Little Six and wonder about its' basis in reality. I have seen photos of real side tank 0-6-0s; but, they are not copies of this Mantua/Tyco locomotive. That my model would be fictitious has no bearing on my interest in it.
    Last edited by NP2626; 02-14-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

2. Default

Sorry, can't say for sure. But there tends to be something, somewhere that inspired both the Booster and the Little Six. As Mantua was located in Pennsylvania, I tend to look at the Eastern roads in the late 19th to early 20th Century period. Since these types of tank engines were used in yards and industrial areas, and docks, that would also tend to narrow the search somewhat as well. Good luck.

I can't afford drugs. I'm addicted to Model Trains and Motorcycles.

The Whistle Stop Rail Road

Your photo shows a saddle tank loco, mine has side tanks.
    Mark D.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tycoflier1962pg02.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	60629

Not the best picture there is; but, it will have to do. The middle loco in the second row shows the 0-4-0 "Booster" from Tyco/Mantua. Imagine this locomotive as an 0-6-0 and you have the "Little Six", which is what I now have, now.
    Mark D.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM7674.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	626.9 KB 
ID:	60634

I got to thinking that I could show what it is I am working on. The two front drivers have been removed from the geared axle, to make room for the new motor a gear from North West Short Lines. The motor kit that is coming from them was specifically designed for both the 0-4-0 Booster Loco and the Little Six. The new motor will draw a maximum of .85 amps and the gear will slow the locomotive down some. As designed these locomotives (as were almost all older locomotives from the early days of the hobby) where capable of Super Sonic speeds.

This loco came to me as a finished kit, someone had built. They painted it with some sort of Gloss Black spray paint. Gloss black is not appropriate for this loco which would be used as a shop loco; or, yard goat. There where literally years worth of crusted on oils from the loco never having been cleaned and re-lubricated. First order of business was to dunk the chassis, drivers and motor into some type of cleaner. All I had on hand was Denatured Alcohol. So, into the DNA it went. When it came time to remove from the DNA, I noticed that the paint on the chassis was all wrinkled up and easy to remove. Since I was going to strip the locomotive of paint, bake on some primer and repaint. I dunked all painted parts in the DNA and stripped off the old gloss paint.

The most difficult problem has been widening the front coupler pocket which was .185 in width. To install Kadees, I needed a minimum of .250. I used my Dremel tool to hog out some of the Pot Metal and finished with my needle files. The back coupler area was a hole in the frame, I have no idea how a coupler had been installed there. I used some plywood and a popsicle stick to make a place to mount my Kadee on the rear end of the locomotive. There had only been a Baker style coupler mounted in the front.
    Last edited by NP2626; 02-15-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Mark D.

Once the NWSL motor and gear get here, i will start the re-assembly of this locomotive. It will have power pick-up on all six wheels. This will be one of peep Rivers Logging Company's locomotives.
    Mark D.

8. Default

Well, I have to say that it looks as if the DNA really did a nice job of cleaning?
    When I first looked at the picture - I thought that you had found a "brand new kit" to assemble.
    Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    Sherrel
    'I survived Charles Tillinghast & Carl Ican
    Every day I beat my previous record of consecutive days I've stayed alive!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sirfoldalot View Post
    Well, I have to say that it looks as if the DNA really did a nice job of cleaning?
    When I first looked at the picture - I thought that you had found a "brand new kit" to assemble.
    Looking forward to seeing the end result.
    I didn't know you could track the genealogy of a zamack kit by DNA! (Yes, I know you mean DeNatured Alcohol.)

Quote Originally Posted by NP2626 View Post
    Your photo shows a saddle tank loco, mine has side tanks.
    So more like this guy?

From this site:
    http://www.rgusrail.com/parmpyard.html

"
    This 0-6-0T (Tank) was built as #14 by H. K. Porter in 1919 for the US Navy to operate at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. In 1922, it was sold to the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal, which renumbered it #13.It weighs 128,000 lbs, with 18" x 24" cylinders and 40" drivers. An oil burner operating at 180 psi, it delivered 25,865 lbs tractive effort.
    In 1963, it was sold to Rail Tours Inc., to haul excursions in York, PA. It was donated to the museum in 1976. In
    2011, it was donated to the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek, OH, where it now resides."
    I can't afford drugs. I'm addicted to Model Trains and Motorcycles.

The Whistle Stop Rail Road