Modell Railroad Links

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

N 42D 45' 23.59", W 84D 35' 10.87" MSL +847

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf971 View Post
    Bruce, most of us old guys are mad because we're old, so it doesn't take much to push us over the edge...
    Get off my lawn!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady - I posted an answer to your flying switch question yesterday, but then the Coffee House moved ahead. Here is a video of a "Flying Switch". A car or cars are set in motion and the locomotive is uncoupled and the cars are switched onto another track.

Wow! Thanks! Looks like fun.

This turned up in the newspaper. Apparently, Lansing at one time had trolleys running on a regular basis out to Lake Lansing, then a popular amusement park and water recreation area.

Afternoon All,

Finished up about half of the second platform before I ran out of modeling wood. It will probably be several days before I can get more. Tomorrow we have youngest grandson's karate advancement program then the train club for a bit. Sunday I should start working on the tracks for the crane.

Garry- Very nice scene.

Ken- I'm glad you are doing better.

Sherrel- Those in warmer climates have to stick together!

Beady- Congrats on the windfall, they are always nice to get.

Joe- Welcome back. That sounds like a very interesting kitbash.

Johnny- I use a latex paint called "Rust" from Lowes. I brush it on with a paintbrush. At first it looks off but as it sits for a couple of days it looks good. Jeffrey was the one that gave me the info on it when I first started laying track about 5 years ago.

I hope everyone has a good night.
    Curt Webb
    The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
    PRR Bellevue Subdivision

6. Default

Flying switches, they were fun. Over the years, the Camden & Amboy main was cut back in the middle, as the powers in charge decided there was no need for the stretch between Hightstown, NJ and Robbinsville, NJ. As time when on the Eastern portion was further truncated, with the track cut back from Hightstown to Cranbury, NJ. After this reduction took place, there was no longer a place to run around the train at Cranbury, so we would stop, bleed the air from the train, drop the train, pulling it to get it rolling, bunching the slack to make the cut, and ducking into the "Jamesway" siding, to allow the train to pass us on the main. There was enough room for about 17 car lengths, to clear the Jamesway switch. After the train rolled by, with a crew member applying hand brakes, to control the train's speed, we would bring the engine out, and chase the train down, couple on the fly, and stop the move. Exciting, huh?

Then, the brakeman's position was eliminated, and the job became a Conductor and Engineer move, we resorted to gravity, stopping, applying hand brakes, and bleed the air, then cutting off and clearing the main. Then the conductor would release the hand brakes and the train would slowly roll past. Once clear, I would radio him and he would stop the move, then walk up and bring me out and against the train.

One night, while walking up, the conductor noticed missing spikes and splice bars. Unbeknown to anyone in the operating department, someone in Engineering, had authorized the sale and removal of the main track between Jamesway, and the NJ Turnpike overhead bridge. Fortunately and perhaps because the cars were empty, and moving so slowly, nothing derailed, and we were able to walk the train over the "bad" track and out of harms way. After that, we shoved the train the three miles from Cranbury, to the new runaround at Forsgate Country Club.
    Lurking in the Shadows

Joe - I can remember a couple of places on the Northern Division of the Milwaukee Road where they did that. I was only about 12 or 13 at the time and was wondering what the heck they sere doing until my uncle explained it to me. If I remember, they weren't really supposed to do it but it saved them a lot of time to drop off a car at a grain elevator because there was no run around track at the location.

Good to have you back. I didn't know that you were still operating DC only. Guess us old guys would rather stick with what we know. As you know, I am DC only and do have two walk around throttles wired in. All it took were a raft of DPDT switches, some colorful works and some adult beverages. It has been working fine for years. Being that the layout is mainly a switching layout and I am the only operator, I really see no advantage of converting the layout to DCC. After see the numerous posts about people having problems with their DCC locomotives, I choose to keep it simple. I just want to put a locomotive on the track, turn up the throttle and watch it run.

You can go back into lurk mode now. Name:  Grin.gif
Views: 59
Size:  166 Bytes
    Last edited by montanan; 02-17-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Good afternoon, everybody..

Flying switches ?.... What could possibly go wrong ? ..... Here is a photo in a Northern Pacific book in my library. .... The caption describes this flying switch as "a less than successful move". Oddly the hopper remained on the rails but not the GP7.

Regarding Walthers Merchants Row series .... I have M R 1 and M R 2 in my fictional town of Blackhawk..

Last edited by GarryCBQ; 02-17-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryCBQ View Post
    Good afternoon, everybody..

Flying switches ?.... What could possibly go wrong ? ..... Here is a photo in a Northern Pacific book in my library. .... The caption describes this flying switch as "a less than successful move". Oddly the hopper remained on the rails but not the GP7.

Heck, he just has to keep workin at it and he'll catch on. (smirk)

Three day weekend ahead of me.
    Think I'll try to finish the yard turnouts tonight.
    Tomorrow, it's breakfast with the train guys, then pick up my two grandsons and take them to the Greenberg Train show at Chantilly, VA.
    Get home about 2 or 3pm tomorrow and take the Harley out for a ride in the 70 degree temps.
    My supply of Plastruct arrived today so I can resume work on the Diablo Canyon bridge. Both sides are finished, now to figure out how to join them together.
    Monday is a Federal Holiday. Sleep in till about 5:30 or so then loaf around for the day.
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

I have posted about the Hiawatha Trail which is now a bicycle trail over the old Milwaukee Road right of way between Haugen, MT and Avery, ID. I had ridden in the cab of Box Cabs and Little Joes when it was a railroad, but I would be interested in taking this bike ride as it is such a beautiful part of the country. Brings back a lot of memories.