Modell Railroad Links

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Railroading in the 50s and 60s.

Umm, Arn't those types of Ferrys spelled Fairy?
    Last edited by NP2626; 02-15-2017 at 06:28 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

You'll be hitting the BRASS INVASION soon! PFM, Key, SAM, NWSL, United etc.

Brass has been in the magazine all along, Balboa, PFM, LMB, Lambert, etc. Most all the scratch build locomotive articles from the beginnings of the magazine, where built from Brass. Even now, in 1970 I am impressed by how many scratch building locomotive articles are printed in the magazine, something that hardly ever occurs, now.
    Last edited by NP2626; 02-15-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Mark D.

In fact, Brass was certainly around when I first started in the hobby in the very early 1960s. There was a hobby shop in one of the first mall type shopping centers in the U.S., named Southdale in Edina Minnesota. This hobby shop was named "Gagers" and it was on the main court of this shopping center. Gagers had a cabinet with rows upon rows of brass locomotive models. I remember spending a bunch of time drooling over the models there and this was my first exposure to Camel back Locos. Previous to this I had no idea they even existed and they really sparked my interest in these types of locomotives! Alas, Camel backs only existed out East and I never had any interest in modeling Eastern roads.
    Mark D.

I can very well remember all of the brass locomotives that came onto the marker in the 60 and continued well into the 80's. The detail was incredible compared to the average locomotive on the market. Being that I was in the service and didn't have a layout, I think I saved myself a lot of $$$. What was nice about the brass is that they were so accurate and were so railroad specific for those that were modeling a particular railroad. When I got out of the service I ended up having to go into N scale due to my available space, but when I moved on to HO scale I was lookiing extremely hard at brass locomotives.

I did get a few before I finalized my layout plan and it ends up that I really can't use them. Bummer. My Z-5 Yellowstone and 2626 Northern only get to see the rails a few times a year to be lubricated and run for a while. The 2626 was put out of service in Washington in 1957. That's my cut off date. The Z-5 Yellowstone was at the end of their careers also at that time being used as helpers over Bozeman Pass. (I did get to ride in them when I was a kid over the Pass. What a thrill) That is very close to where my layout is set in southwestern Montana, but it is way too long for my 90 foot turntables and really wouldn't have shown up on a small railroad like mine.

I did pick up a few more brass locomotives, but ones that were more fitting to a small railroad. A Northern Pacific Y-1 and a PFM Santa Fe which I custom painted for my own railroad. Both of these are consolidations which are ideal locomotives for a small railroad.

There are a lot of brass locomotives that I really like, but I guess I'm cheap as I can't see buying anything that I can't run on the layout.

6. Default

Does anyone know where to get some nice 50's - 60's style type gasoline pumps (single types not duals like we have now) with maybe a hose and gas handle built in or around it. (I could always make the hose tho) HO scale. I looked at most of the Woodland DPMs, Walthers kits and may buy one but do a little kit bashing with them.. maybe. Is there a company that makes just 1/87th scale accessories like these for this era? Thanks!
    Last edited by Saturn5tony; 02-17-2017 at 11:21 AM.

-Tony

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    Perfect Chet thanks!! Yup, they even have that 60's style look to them like the station I want to make and JL Innovative even has a few other gas station buildings that look really cool.

Name:  JL Innovative - gas pump2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.4 KB

-Tony

Those are the pumps I used for this Sinclair Station.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1042.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	375.4 KB 
ID:	60657

Thet also make a service station interior detail kit. It has a lift and various interior details that are nice.

Can't see much of it in this photo because there is a car on the lift.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0298.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	60658

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    Those are the pumps I used for this Sinclair Station.
    Similar, these in my picture is when the late 50's came along with out the Name on the top, yours is the 40's where the name was on the top of all of them (like a bubble) but not so far back when the entire pump was round and also very tall! If you look at the Skelly's in my pic and my time frame they were made in the 50's or so and flat on the top. I do like the bubble ones tho very much, it just screams vintage gas!! lol

-Tony