Modell Railroad Links

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sn3

1. Default

Looks really good, Mark!
    Comparing the size - I'm a little confused as to what you would be gaining switching to Sn3? I do understand that some details will be slightly larger, but I think you should consider On3 or On30 - a size that you can really cut your teeth on in detail?
    Sherrel
    I am starting to think I will never be old enough to know better!

I have to agree with you, other than Sn3 being narrow gauge, size wise there isn't much difference! I bought the kit so I could physically see what I was getting into. Like I said before, P-B-L Sn3 kits are a bear cat to build and to build a fleet of cars would be very difficult, to say the least!

Was there really 30 inch gauged railroads? I will be looking into On3, what would a minimum realistic On3 curve radius be?
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

3. Default

Mark The club I belonged to had 30 inch min, but that was a large building.
    If you were going to have a 2-8-0, or a 2-8-2 - I'm going to guess that somewhere in the 24" range.
    (in short, I have no idea and have forgot)

You have to as someone who knows what they are talking about. Above my pay grade - LOL
    Sherrel

Depending on what you what run I would think 18" would be the absolute minimum radius and that would be for old timers. For any small 4 axle modern equipment, your probably looking at around 20" and for any 6 axle modern engines 24".

These figures are based on HO radius so don't quote me as being 100% correct.
    Cheers,

Tony
    (aka wombat457)

"...knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it is another..."

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...Indoor-N-Scale

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Depending on what you what run I would think 18" would be the absolute minimum radius and that would be for old timers. For any small 4 axle modern equipment, your probably looking at around 20" and for any 6 axle modern engines 24".

These figures are based on HO radius so don't quote me as being 100% correct.
    We are talking "O" scale Tony ... What was your min in the "G"?
    Sherrel

Using Google Earth to look at some of the radius along the Durango and Silverton NGRR, I find that the tightest radius at the High Line is somewhere around 150 feet. Up at Silverton, the Y track radius is somewhere around 325 feet on the south side and 365 feet on the North Side. The locomotives really squeal loudly going around the tight radius of the High Line so that one is very tight! The balloon track at Durango has an approximate diameter of 425 feet, giving a radius of 212 feet. The big radius at the Silverton Y in O scale would equal 91 inches. The Real tight radius at the High Line equals around 37 inches. The radius at the Durango Balloon track equals 53 inches. In S scale, The Y at Silverton equals 68 inches. The tight radius at the High Line equals 28 inches and the Balloon track at Durango equals 40 inches.

All of the above dimensions are approximations. To get HO Scale measurements, take the O scale and divide by two. G has so many different scales that I have no idea what would be needed.
    Mark D.

The Sn3 Scale has always been one of my favorite scales , perhaps the Late Great Paul Scoles had some influence on me with his Pelican Bay and Navigation RR . I had a few meaningful conversations with Paul via emails right upto a week before he passed. I was very interested in his scale. Funny someone mentioned Chris Lyon, I travelled across to Ottawa to visit Chris and must say he was a true gentleman , him and his wife took us out and about in Ottawa , had a nice supper but above all the main purpose was he taught me his technique for painting backdrops but before I travelled to visit with him he had his wife hold the camera while doing a video to show his technique. When he taught me his technique we went to a modelers home layout , it wasn't Bill Scobie's but it was a beauty. On a seperate trip when I travelled to Ottawa area to pickup a 63 Vespa I made a point of going to visit Mike Hammers RR, not Sn3 but definatly well worth the visit and a pleasure .
    If I were starting from scratch I think I would be doing Sn3, in the long run it would have been better for building with my worn out eyeballs.
    It will be interesting to see how your Sn3 adventure pans out for you Mark. Box car is looking great.

Sorry I thought we were talking Sn3 scale which, apparently, isn't all that different to HO. O scale is going to be very different then and what I put forward wont apply.

MY G Gauge radius was - I don't know. I was using sectional track so the radius was fixed. All I can say is it was the largest radius that I saw available for sectional track at the time. I'm guessing it was probably close to 30" though, or there abouts.
    Cheers,

Tony
    (aka wombat457)

"...knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it is another..."

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...Indoor-N-Scale

Tony, We have been talking Sn3. Sherrel and I discussed how much size-wise HO standard Gauge and Sn3 were alike and that in comparison there isn't much to be gained by switching from HO to Sn3. For me the jury is still out and I am looking into other options. Not giving up on Sn3 just yet, just interested in all scales Narrow Gauge.
    Mark D.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM7767 (Small).JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	63948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM7768 (Small).JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	63949

Here is a couple photos of the Sn3 P-B-L Stock Car kit I've been working on. This is the two sides, painted Special Oxide Red with a squirt of Gloss Coat on it, so I can put on the decals. The Road Number is made up from individual number as my choices where 7451 to 7474. I chose 7454 for no other reason than the 4 and 5 where right together. I'm putting the RGS and Road Number in the upper right corner on the ends at this time. When I get those done I will maybe weather the car some. After my confusion with the instructions, the car is coming together nicely!
    Last edited by NP2626; 11-25-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    Mark D.