Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sn3

Default Sn3

Where I to start over again today, I would model in Sn3 and I would model the Rio Grande Southern. When they were suggesting Scales in this Scale Specific Discussion forum, I feel it is unfortunate that S Scale was overlooked. American Flyer S Scale was fairly popular back in the 50s and 60s. I think there are quite a few Sn3 modelers out there. PBL is a business catering to the Sn3 modeler. Sn3 is a builders scale, similar to how HO used to be.
    Last edited by NP2626; 10-03-2017 at 06:44 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

It is a nice scale, and easier to do detail work in, but you see mostly brass and craftsman level kits offered. Not much for beginners in Sn3. Most of those I know who model in that scale are experienced craftsman level modelers who started out in the more mainstream scales. I'd probably do things differently too if I were starting over. Maybe traction, or HOn3, but those didn't get the space in modeling magazines when I started out. They were (and still are) niches in the hobby.
    Alan

Modeling Espee on the Coast and in steam

Espeefan, I would agree that Sn3 is a craftsman gauge; however, S gauge certainly is not, it is a toy train set. Whether either is a "niche" in this hobby, I don't think is up to you to decide! Even if they are, what difference does that make? They are legitimate portions of the hobby! I guess I didn't read the small print, I didn't know that only scales and products pertaining to stuff a beginner can get involved with was supposed to be discussed here on the Model Railroad Forum! As far as costs of Sn3 Brass locos, I find their prices comparable to HO brass plus a bit more.

I am not understanding where you are coming from!
    Last edited by NP2626; 10-03-2017 at 04:54 AM.
    Mark D.

Well then let me clarify:

First you said: "Where I to start over again today, I would model in Sn3 and I would model the Rio Grande Southern" Did you mean as a beginner, or are you considering jumping to Sn3? There is a difference. I took you to mean if you were getting into the hobby today as a beginner, you'd choose Sn3. Sn3 isn't a great scale for newbies. Most newbies acquire their skills in the more mainstream scales like HO, N, or even O. How many newbies do you know who buy brass, or craftsman kits? Modelers of anything generally need to sharpen basic skills first then do the complicated stuff, or they risk frustration, being overwhelmed, intimidated, and we lose them. Some modelers work their way up the learning curve and eventually specialize and move into narrow gauge. Most Sn3 modelers I know were at one point HO or HOn3 guys who wanted to compensate for aging eyes and fingers. Oh and S isn't just a toy train scale, while it is a niche scale. That isn't my opinion, it comes from two places: the numbers of modelers, i.e. who participates in what scale, and S scale modelers themselves. Read all about it here: http://sscale.org/getting-started-in-s/

You can discuss anything you want here. If you took my post to say you shouldn't discuss Sn3 here you added 2 + 2 and got 175. All I meant to say was that it's a nice scale but not really suitable for beginners. That help clear things up?
    Alan

Yes, you completely miss understood what I was saying and I guess I wasn't clear enough in what I said. There was no reference in anything I said about beginners; or, as a beginner I would start with Sn3! I was saying: Where I to start over, I would model in Sn3. I would bring all my experience in what I have done in this hobby to this date with me to model in Sn3. Forgive me for not being absolutely clear, so someone couldn't misinterpret what I said!

You gave the conversation a "From the beginners point of view", not me.

The reality is, I was only commenting that I felt S scale should be included in this portion of the Model Railroad Forums!
    Last edited by NP2626; 01-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    Mark D.

Espeefan,

This is one of those situations where Internet Forums fail. You assumed you knew what I was talking about and posed your assumption in your response in the next post. Then I responded, not really understanding where you where coming from. Your next point in the thread, finally asks the right question: or are you considering jumping to Sn3? and then you go on to further your assumption of what you thought I meant. I have clarified my point and further explained where I am coming from. Lets end this discussion before we end up getting our noses bent out of shape. Remember the old adage, When you assume, you make an ass-u-me. To answer your question, am I considering jumping to Sn3, no I am not; but, I am as interested in it, as I am in Narrow Gauge.

Best wishes to you!
    Last edited by NP2626; 10-03-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    Mark D.

Mark, my nose won't get bent out of shape. I was just participating in a discussion. There was no intent to attack your opinion/viewpoint, I was just offering my $.02, and what I knew about Sn3, and S in general. I haven't talked with any S modelers on here, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I was wondering if the thread would draw some.

if I were to start over today I'd probably go with traction. You can get a lot of railroad into a small space, and still have all the same stuff as a class 1 railroad, just on a smaller scale. That isn't going to happen either, but it is fun to think about.
    Alan

I want to take back ownership of this thread and thought I would add a great series of videos on Sn3 and also of my particular interest, the Rio Grand Southern. Bill Scobie has a marvelous Rio Grande Southern layout up in Canada. A fellow who shoots many videos on YouTube named Chris shot Bill's layout in a many part series. In fact, the truth is I have no idea how many videos are in the series on Bill's Rio Grande Southern layout shot by Chris, who goes by the handle CNLVN. I have found all of CNLVN's videos to have been very well done! If you subscribe to his YouTube site, he will email you when a new video comes out. Here is the URL to Bill Scobie's first video, you are in for a treat!
    Mark D.

I think that Sn3 has much going for it. The models are bigger and therefore a bit easier to detail. Fast Tracks makes jigs for building turnouts. If you've watched any of the videos on Bill Scobie's Rio Grande Southern, it has to have gotten your heart pumping!

However, I am firmly ensconced in my HO layout. In 2015 the wife and I rode on the Durango and Silverton. When I got back, I actually started designing an Sn3 track plan and looking at websites catering to Sn3. After a few weeks of looking into Sn3, I realized that my HO Northern Pacific layout for all practical purposes was very similar to a narrow gauge layout with mountains, bridges and tunnels and I began to realize how long I'd been working on it and at 66 and not knowing how long I'm going to continue to be able to, practicality won out and I dropped the idea. However, I am interested in Narrow Gauge, Sn3 and the Rio Grande Southern.
    Last edited by NP2626; 01-09-2017 at 05:36 AM.
    Mark D.

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
    I haven't talked with any S modelers on here, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I was wondering if the thread would draw some.
    I don't know of any S modelers on here either. One of my face to face friends does Sn3 because he is modeling the Boulder Northwestern. He points out that even though the locomotives are only available in brass, he can have all 12 of them and have a complete roster for less cost than most modelers spend on there fleets of 10s or 100s of locos.