Modell Railroad Links

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Building the Canyon Diablo Bridge

I've been working on a video project for my church since Wednesday night. I have more work to do on it tonight then should be able to get back to the bridge tomorrow.
    Ken
    When ya absolutely positively need model railroad fun, choose the D&J Railroad.

Visit the progress of the construction of the D&J Railroad at:
    http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-From-Scratch]

Finished the upper cross beams. Now it's on to the upper inspection walkways.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished Upper Crossbeams.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	705.5 KB 
ID:	61639
    Ken

3. Default

SQC (stupid question coming)

Are you cutting the plastic sheet directly on your granite countertop? No cutting board?

Awesome Work!
    Sherrel
    A GOOD landing you can walk away from - A GREAT landing you can use the plane again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirfoldalot View Post
    SQC (stupid question coming)

Are you cutting the plastic sheet directly on your granite countertop? No cutting board?

Awesome Work!
    Yeah, I was concerned and was using a cutting board but soon found that the blade wasn't doing anything to the granite.
    Ken

This has got to be the most difficult part of building this bridge.
    I've been wrestling with how to do this for the past week and decided this is the easiest way.
    Still, just this one walk way took almost two hours to get it in place and the handrails are still all screwy.
    Where I need the glue to set up quickly, it takes a long time. In other places I need to make an adjustment, the glue sets up almost instantly. Very frustrating.
    When tryin to hold the angle iron with tweezers, it will twist to a 45 degree angle away from where I need to get it to contact a surface.
    This walk way runs the length of the bridge.

Last edited by D&J RailRoad; 05-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Ken

6. Default

You'll get it, Ken. I have faith in ya!
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy! Red Green
    http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.b...-i-see-it.html

Small electrical alligator clips instead of tweezers? File the teeth off if they interfere.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

8. Default

When I did my ore bridge, I pre-assembled the walkways with the handrails and just slid them into place. Of course, they were not prototypically based like what you're doing. Your handrails look perfectly fine to my untrained eyes.
    - ken in Maryland

Never let a Rainy Day go to waste!

Great job, Ken! I can see that the cat walks would be a difficult job to do and I might think that were I to build this bridge, I might leave them off. Most of the steel arch bridges I have seen don't have them. However, they are the carrot at the end of the stick on this bridge! So I can understand your interest in including them. I would have to walk away from the project every now and then to keep myself centered on the project! It's completion will make all the trouble worth the effort!
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

That really looks fantastic. It really must be a pain having to work in such a confined space. I have done some work in confined spaces and didn't enjoy it at all, but my cousin who was a nurse sent me a hoard of hemostats that weren't up to snuff for the operation room. They have really been a life saver when working on model railroad projects.

The build is coming along nicely. You are going to have a masterpiece when it is completed and on your layout.

Can't wait for progress updates.