N-scale Kato Unitrack + Unitram layout: Small-build layout progress thread.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Unitram711-7.jpg

Unitram711-5.jpg

I just drew up my first N-scale track-plan, designed and output with RailModellerPro for OS X, using the application's built-in Kato Unitrack and Unitram track libraries. The upper-loop is the dual-track, raised-viaduct track; the lower-loop represents the ground-level, dual-track rail lines. The layout employs four independent loops, and will be operated using four separate controllers. Layout width is 12':

SPlayout-2-1200.png

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Looking good. Note however that you have now added a reversing section with it's minor wiring complications.
Willie

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
Looks like you're starting to make some real progress. Looking at the last plan, I didn't see a crossover from the outer loop to the inner loop.

Looking good. Note however that you have now added a reversing section with it's minor wiring complications.
Thanks! Yeah--I just got rid of that (sorry, I just deleted that post not realizing you guys had already commented on it). I ditched the reversing loop since I couldn't quite close the loop geometry with the available Kato sectional track.

. . . Looking at the last plan, I didn't see a crossover from the outer loop to the inner loop.
I would like to add a crossover, but I'm not sure how I would handle that electrically.

That's more better. View attachment 57292 Now trains can get from the inner to the outer track and back again.

Thanks! The track-plan is of course a living document, certain to be continually modified as I go along. I just found this Kato structure online which significantly conflicts with the current plan. I don't know how I'm going to integrate a structure which occupies five 9-3/4" dual-track sections, but when I saw it, I just knew I had to have it:

KAT-23125-2.jpg

Kato N 23125 Viaduct Station Kit

I just received my Tomix Odokyu light-rail train (below) from PlazaJapan. I chose Tomix' trains over Kato's since they more closely resemble L.A.'s Metro light-rail cars. The Tomix train has illuminated headlights, running lights, and number-boards in both the front and rear cars. Appearance is top-notch, though slow-speed running is a bit stuttery compared with Kato/Atlas engines. But, this is less of an issue since these trains will typically run at higher proto speeds of about 60-70MPH. Running these speeds at-scale looks and feels "right," and is a lot of fun to finally run trains at faster-than-freight, scale-speeds.

Running light-rail is a whole new experience, and has me eager to buy additional Tomix trains to mimic the variety of color-coded light-rail lines we have in L.A. (e.g., "Blue Line," "Gold Line," etc.), since the Tomix trains come in similarly colored side-graphics.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Thanks! The track-plan is of course a living document, certain to be continually modified as I go along. I just found this Kato structure online which significantly conflicts with the current plan. I don't know how I'm going to integrate a structure which occupies five 9-3/4" dual-track sections, but when I saw it, I just knew I had to have it:

KAT-23125-2.jpg

Kato N 23125 Viaduct Station Kit

Build a bigger layout. That's what we all end up doing
Willie

Ha! That's where this looks like it's going. Now, with all the excitement over my new light-rail train, I'm inspired to model Interstate 105 in Los Angeles (it's the freeway "Speed" was shot on before it opened). This is a modern concrete freeway with two light-rail lines built into its center divider. The 110 interstate, running through downtown Los Angeles, would be the most interesting to model, but also the most difficult, since it runs elevated, sub-terrainian, and ground-level. Here's a shot of an elevated light-rail station on the 105 freeway in Los Angeles:

metrogreen-1.jpg

Photo by Darrell Clarke.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.