Lighting a Layout effectively ...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

Tape LEDs vs Rope LEDs

Gotcha. In addition to tape lights, you might look at rope lights. They're essentially tape lights inside a protective plastic sleeve.

...from an internet site
So you want to add under cabinet lighting to your kitchen, or perhaps add accent lighting to your deck or patio, but you’re not sure what kind of lighting to use, rope light or tape light. Both have their advantages, but which one works best for you?

Rope Light:
Rope light is a great, versatile tool that’s used in many accent lighting applications. From adding a fun touch to your deck to adding a warm tone to restaurants, there’s not a whole lot you can’t do with rope light. While rope light offers tons of advantages, there’s a few things you should know. For starters, rope light can be tricky to maneuver in tight spaces (not to mention rope light can’t be bent at a 90-degree angle without breaking the wires inside) , and even the smallest diameter rope light can present challenges when it comes to concealment. Available in 12-volt, 24-volt, and 120-volt in LED and incandescent, these higher voltages give you the freedom to create virtually any lighting scheme you can imagine. With that being said, rope light can only be cut into certain sections, and the amount of these sections changes from size to size. Also, rope light gets hot, very hot, so this must be taken into consideration when deciding where to put your rope light. Rope light is generally more expensive, and it also does not offer the RGB (red, green, blue) option, therefore somewhat limiting your color options.

Tape Light:
Tape light is sometimes called LED strip lights, and for a good reason. Tape light looks exactly the way it sounds: flat. The shape of tape light has some serious advantages. For one, due to its shape, it’s much easier to work with than rope light, and fits into tighter spaces much easier, too. Also, tape light is super easy to install, especially with L-shape connectors for 90-degree turns, since all you have to do is peel off the adhesive backing, and, that’s it. What’s more, LED tape light is cheaper than rope light and offers multiple colors, including RGB color changing tape light. So with all these positives, it certainly seems like tape lights don’t have many drawbacks. Well, there’s a couple, but the biggest is tape lights have a very limited run, 16-feet for a 24-volt strip to be exact. While this is perfect for those small projects, if you’re looking to light your whole kitchen, things could get messy because every section requires its own power source, and you’re going to be left with a wad of cables to power those sections.

Which is better? Well, neither one is outright better than the other. Both have their advantages over the other. However, both are suitable for damp locations, but they cannot be submerged. So the bottom line here is this: if you need to light 100 or so feet, rope light is the definite winner there, but if you’re looking to light small sections with quick, simple installation, then look at tape light.

Certainly sounds like tape lighting is the way to go.?

Good, simple installation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LK8S8apBy8

Proper cutting and joining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRLt-fzTwg

MikeOwnby

...from an internet site

Certainly sounds like tape lighting is the way to go.?

Good, simple installation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LK8S8apBy8

Proper cutting and joining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRLt-fzTwg

Probably so, if you're looking to cut it into small parts. That article seems to be a bit dated, though, in that it obviously assumes that rope lights are incandescent and generate a lot of heat. There are tons of LED rope lights out there now, which obviously don't generate heat. If they're going to be at all visible, rope lights look better. If they're fully hidden, tape lights give a little more flexibility when looks aren't a consideration.

beiland

Not lighting a layout but related to fluorescent bulbs. My library has had 24 four foot fluorescent lamps for the past 50 years (yes long before it was "my" library it had this configuration). The library is north facing and the windows are low and shallow, so there is not any sunlight coming into this room. This summer we rebuilt one of the bookcases (specifically for my train books), and in the process we noticed the backs of the shelves were faded. Checking we discovered many of the books were faded too. I had been planning to change out the lighting with LEDs as we have done in other parts of the house simply to save electricity, but while researching that for the library I discovered that fluorescent lights emit more UV radiation than I imagined. The UV from the florescent light is what faded the shelves. Due to this discovery I will NOT be using florescent lighting for my layout. The last thing I want is extra and continued fading, beyond what I intentionally weather into the locos, equipment, structures, and scenery.

In the other parts of the house the LEDs have not only reduced the power consumption by 50%, but provides a much nicer brighter light. One can get them in any color from warm white to bright white light.

Just started reading about layout lighting, and I recall hearing this about florescent lighting. Glad you brought it up again.

On the other hand I just read a distressing account of LED stip-lighting failure,...on this forum,...and by a fellow who had put a fair amount of effort into getting it right.

beiland

In our master bedroom we have ONE light with a GLOBE..... The GOLBE distributes the light very evenly. When I was in elementary school ALL the lights above had white globes, no fluorescents and they lit the classroom very evenly.

Once I tried DAYLIGHT bulbs, I never went back. They give off a more FULL color spectrum than any other type. That also means COLORS look more true even to the naked eye, and Because of this, daylight bulbs give off more VISABLE light for the same LUMENS. You eyes were not lying to you.

Don't know exactly what sort of 'globe light' you are talking about,...but I have some globe shaped LED bulbs (four of them) in my bathroom that are Philips 5w LED daylight ones. They are BRIGHT, and the globe shape seems to provide an all around color.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
We had over 450k square of office space that we maintained and the lighting was 98% florescent fixtures and we never saw any evidence of fading from the lighting. I know over time some types of finishes found in an office could fade due to the lighting, but the limited amount of time we operate fluorescent lighting for our layouts I don't think fading will be a factor. Most fading in an office was caused by the natural light entering through the windows.

One office had east and south exposures and at night they covered their water color paintings with some form of shielding to protect them from the morning sunlight each weekday and the paintings were covered all weekend.

Some plaster washes fade naturally and do need to be refreshed over time.

Greg

beiland

Failure of LED lighting

But what if you end up with a failure like this?

...om another subject thread on this forum....
Resurrecting a older thread, returning from a three year hiatus, I have found seven '3 packs' have died. They are scattered around 1/3 to 1/2 the length of the strips which cover most of the layout. Most are the 5050's.
Taking a closer look some are not completely out. Each of these surface mount LED's appear to have three individual elements. You can see this in three of these attachments.

Worse, half of these appeared to have died in the past 2 days (around 4 hours of on time) after sitting for three years I'm wondering if 12v is too high . :confused:

These can't really be serviced, surely I have no intention of removing the strips or even trying to cut out the 'bad' sections unless a greater number of these die out. Typical Chinese QC. :mad:

beiland

LED 'Shop Lights'

Just visited a Home Depot this evening and found these LED shop lights at a pretty good price.

Any one care to comment on their usability??

[url]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...-DNA/301158095[/URL]

Lithonia Lighting
Model # SHLP 36IN 40K 80CRI DNA
4.6304 (92)
2.8 ft. 34-Watt White Integrated LED Shop Light

The 2.8 ft. White Integrated LED Shoplight from Lithonia Lighting provides energy-efficient task lighting or general purpose lighting for utility applications like workshops, garages and basements. The integrated LEDs eliminate the need for light bulbs, and have a 35,000 hour average life span. Chain and "S" hooks are included for easy installation, and they allow you to adjust the direction of the light.

Energy efficient LED technology
3000 lumens and 34-Watt with cool white color temperature, 4000K
Polycarbonate construction in white finish
Designed for suspended installation via mounting chains
Fixture operates at 120-Volt
Starts reliably down to 0°F
CSA listed to US and Canadian safety standards

$14.97, 3 footer
$19.97, 4 footer

Brian

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.