Modell Railroad Links

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697

Thread: New Layout for LASM

1. Default

Thank you, Edsland!

2. Default

Have a couple pics of the new project, it is the water tank at the Wyoming depot area, these photographs were taken in 1917:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Plow-train,  1917).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	62750

Wonder if anyone has a recommendation as to a kit I can start with? You can see the configuration of the stand is not what we usually see in the available kits, but somewhat simpler.

Name:	3 Plow-train 1917.jpg 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	62751

This is another photo showing the larger area, this is from a massive TIFF file which I shrunk down but gives perspective as to where the photo is taken from, in conjunction with the photos above.

I used to think that this was taken from the water tank, however now it looks like it was taken from some other tower or possibly power pole (?) considerably off to the side, as the water tank sits almost in line with the potato warehouse:

Name:	Wyoming @ 1920.jpg 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	62752

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by logandsawman View Post
    Wonder if anyone has a recommendation as to a kit I can start with? You can see the configuration of the stand is not what we usually see in the available kits, but somewhat simpler.
    Well simpler in some aspects, but more complex in others. That angle on the legs is going to be difficult to get "right", and the central pipe enclosure is going to have to be more detailed than normal (since you can actually see it).

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horseman View Post
    Well simpler in some aspects, but more complex in others. That angle on the legs is going to be difficult to get "right", and the central pipe enclosure is going to have to be more detailed than normal (since you can actually see it).
    Good points... I spent some time searching images today and found modelers frequently scratch build their tanks. I found some examples and hope to share them tomorrow

I wish the lighting was better in the photos

5. Default

here is another shot of the water tower, is a closeup of one above, also a set of plans I found on the internet, will adapt this I think.

It looks like all the boards for the tank run vertically,

Name:	march 17 1917 heavy snow.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	62771

Name:	water tower j peg.jpg 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	62772

6. Default

Really nice looking station. I also think the random shingles that are off color as a realistic touch. Looks like a building a few years after the roof is installed.

Modeling the roaring 20's
    President of the Lancaster Central Railroad
    President of the Western Maryland Railway

7. Default

Wonder why the tank(s) never froze up in the winter...insulated, heated or they did freeze to some degree.

Greg
    THE MILWAUKEE NORTHERN

Transporters of Wood, Coal, Ore and Anything Else

Est. 1983

HO Scale

__________________________________________________ ___________

Where the SOO, Milwaukee Road, C&NW and Wisconsin Central Meet

Charter Member of the Fallen Flags Model Railroad Club

8. Default

RBMN-- thanks for the depot comment!

Greg-- I am going to guess some ice formed around the peremiter, however this was a very busy location and new water being pumped in regularily presumably kept the tank liquid.