Modell Railroad Links

Page 90 of 97 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout for LASM

1. Default

Thanks, Big Chief ... Never too old to learn.
    Sherrel
    I survived Charles Tillinghast & Carl Ican
    Here, hold my beer!

2. Default

I wondered why they called it a team track as well.

Funny, one of my old photos is two teams of oxen pulling a wagon full of feed sacks, standing next to the track.

Some day they will be asking why they call a recording device a "tape recorder"

3. Default

Getting ready for the train show, put together this module which will also be part of the layout when I get to that point, used the historic track plan :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	594.5 KB 
ID:	61607

I plan to ballast and put down some greenery, maybe the access road behind the potato warehouse.

I am using my old DC transformer. Each track is powered independently, can be powered on and off with the toggle switches, so when it becomes part of the larger layout I have 4 blocks already isolated.

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	61608

Here is the section from the old layout of the area showing tracks and buildings

Name:	Module.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	61609

I have completed 3 warehouse buildings.

Looks good Dave. You are prepared.

5. Default

Here is a shot of my module as it appeared at the train show, I was able to run trains on each track, also had the historic background along with the track and building plan.

Lots of folks found the history aspect interesting, as well as the structures. Was able to give up a few tips on scratchbuilding structures, also promoted my youtube channel.

Name:	edited.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	782.3 KB 
ID:	61645

MY next project is going to be the depot building. Having figured out the footprint, the next thing is to get the walls and roof work going.

more later

6. Default

Congratulations Dave on the great looking module! I hope you had a great time at the train show!

I like that module! Nicely done!
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy! Red Green
    http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.b...-i-see-it.html

8. Default

Dave - You really built a showpiece there. Your scratch built structures really fit in.
    Sherrel
    I survived Charles Tillinghast & Carl Ican
    Here, hold my beer!

9. Default

Thanks, guys for the kind words on the module. It is fun to build and is practical for my current situation, helps me to work toward a larger future project as well.

A really nice thing about going to the train show was meeting a lot of other railroaders. One of the participants only lived about a mile from where I grew up, he was a few years older than me so I did not chum around with him during my youth, but now that we are older a few years doesn't mean much.

10. Default

Well I started on mocking up the Wyoming depot and have a pic of some of the challenges,

first of all, scaling the dimensions based on the photos, even though I have 6 pics over the years, am lacking a rear view, also having a tough time getting the building dimensions right:

With the length of the ties at 8', trying to gauge all the other dimensions:

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	631.3 KB 
ID:	61717

My initial mock up using cardboard, looks like I will have to make the building about 2' narrower and maybe a little shorter:

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	61718

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	748.8 KB 
ID:	61719

Here is how it looked in about 1915:

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	61720

Another posted picture shows it in 1955, shortly after they removed the second floor and added a new roof, helpful for figuring out the dimensions of the buildings.