Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout for LASM

1. Default New Layout for LASM

My first question is, do the delayed uncouplers work, like the magnet that goes under the track, manufactured by Kadee, Bachmann, ? ; and has anyone tried the hump in the classification yard? So the uncoupled cars roll into the classification area?

KJC has posted a folded dogbone design that will be a good basis for my stuff, and my first added detail is the following yard design.

Outline of mainline and basic industries:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dorset6.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	42542

Detail of my proposed classification yard with hump modification:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plan.JPG 
Views:	436 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	42543

Let the fun continue!!! lasm

It's an interesting idea, although I can think of several possible problems -- you'd need to tune your cars carefully as to weight, rolling qualities, coupler flexibility, etc to get consistent operation. It seems like you'd also have to figure out pretty carefully exactly where the magnet would go. If it were me, and I really wanted a hump, I'd want to try mocking one up and testing the whole thing thoroughly before I went to put it on a layout.

The Kadee delayed action magnets work -- I dunno -- maybe 60-70% of the time. Often you need to make a couple of tries before they'll uncouple, but the prototype is like that, too.

Why do you want a hump yard there? It seem to be very hard to operate and maintain. You have perfect access to all the track in the yard, so you really don't need it. Just use a scewer for uncoupling too. For magnetic uncoupling it usually is only needed when the track is hard to reach. Keep it simple. KISS method.
    Michael
    Director of the Mile-Hi-Railroad
    Prototype: D&RGW

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwb View Post
    It seems like you'd also have to figure out pretty carefully exactly where the magnet would go. The Kadee delayed action magnets work -- I dunno -- maybe 60-70% of the time. Often you need to make a couple of tries before they'll uncouple, but the prototype is like that, too.
    I watched some utube videos where they used the uncoupler, and it was like you said, he had to back over it a couple times (sometimes) to get it to work. The location of it is easy, just before the switches. He used the magnet that goes between the rails, and I am going for the larger one that goes below the ties.

My plan is to have a very slight grade, just enough to get the car rolling, and then a slight grade up hill on the far end, to slow the cars down so they don't clunk into the stop.

Wondering if anyone pulled this off. I like to experiment, and during my era (pre 1960) hump classification yards were in use.

Thanks for the feedback, lasm

Again, I would mock this up to see how it really works before I laid anything down permanently.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Motley View Post
    Why do you want a hump yard there? It seem to be very hard to operate and maintain. .
    Michael,

Thanks for your input--I want to put one there because it will be easy to watch, and easy to see. Also, it is something I want to try.

On my first layout I had a mini version of a more prototypical yard and it was a pain in the but reaching in and uncoupling stuff and then I started thinking about the magnet, but I did not want to invest the energy into a 4x8 that was a practice layout if anything. Plus, I don't have to be steady and concerned about bumping the trucks off the rails when I manually unhook the cars. Even using the stick.

I froze my hands a bunch of times holding onto the chainsaw for hours on end in the sub zero Northern Minnesota winters and have some difficulties feeling where the fingertips are, as well as holding stuff.

The simple part of my layout is the track design and DC operation. This hump concept doesn't seem overly complicated to me, but then again, DC block wiring seems easy, too.

I think the thing will be super easy to operate, I will be using remote turnout controls like I had on my first layout and should be able to stand in one spot and push buttons.

Would still like to hear from people that use the automatic uncouplers or have a hump yard in their layout---lasm

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwb View Post
    permanently.

This word does not exist in my model railroad vocabulary.

lasm

I see there's a thread about just this subject at http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/228384.aspx It says about the most anyone can say on the subject, I would think.

Hump yard will not work well.
    I have seen one on an episode of tracks ahead. It had sensors to measure the speed of the car and an air blast to slow the car down.
    The big issue is that the weight of the cars and the friction of the wheels does not scale down to the real thing. The cars need to move unrealistically fast to overcome the friction of the wheels.
    Steve

10. Default

JWB,

Great of you to find that thread. Looks like one person that actually made one that works and several raining on his parade.

Choops, you have no confidence in my building abilities. My last project was a 10' x 20' railroad suspended by nylon thread from the ceiling in the living room. I started building it in August and was running trains on it by Christmas or so. The thread is called "need track advice". Trains 12 cars long go around at scale 100 mph if necessary, you will find my videos on utube, channel is David Banta.

Anyway, the point about free wheeling and weights, etc. is well taken. I have some custom truck sets on some of my favorite rolling stock that move with almost no effort.

Probably only want a few cars in each lane at a time. I have a bunch of ebay stuff I can experiment on, but that is a few months off.

Thanks, again for your input. lasm