Modell Railroad Links

Page 86 of 88 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 LastLast

Thread: New Layout for LASM

I agree, the building in the lower left looks a lot like a small version of Walthers #3007 2 stall engine house:

Name:  Walthers3007.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  25.8 KB

I especially like the outhouse hanging over the water in about the center of the image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	60578
    Kevin

General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

2. Default

Wow with an outhouse like that you have to think twice

3. Default

Thanks for all the comments!

Yannis--thanks for the link to the station

Edsland--keen eye on the outhouse

Trestle--is the same track that serves the quarry, it is the mainline from Minneapolis to Duluth, Great Northern. I think it is the standard track that serves the quarry. I thought that it would be flat cars, however the photograph proves that box cars were used to transport the quarry at the time of the photo.

THERE is lots if information on the quarry operation available, one of the reasons I chose it to model. In fact, many of the foundations have been preserved, as the quarry was abandoned since the hardest sandstone played out and new sources elsewhere in the country as well as granite was substituted.

AS far as the engine house, I will attempt to duplicate the building accurately by casting walls with accurate window size and placement. It looks like the tin roof, which will be an easy model.

4. Default

Hi, I have a couple pictures for the new layout, first the old downtown area, just as the town was being built, the hotel and a general store?

Name:	hotel and store.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	60677

Also, a photo of the trestle, it matches the one from the Quarry era:

Name:	Trestle.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	60678

Finally, some of the first water tanks along the early track:

Name:	road, water tanks.jpg 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	60679

I will be starting with a track plan next week, along with placement of some of the elements of the photographs.

Glad to see that you're about to start another layout. How much space do you have to work with?

6. Default

Hi Chet, my new layout will be 16'w and 48' long. The stairs come up into the center of the attic so will not have to worry about the drop down.

I am still trying to formulate the cities that will be involved. Sandstone and the quarry is one, and Wyoming, MN will be another, as they are along the same route. The GN and NP pretty much parallel up this part of the state, and they cross in Hinckley, MN

Here are some shots from Wyoming, which is the city I grew up in. The dates are about the same as the Sandstone photos, anywhere from 1890 to 1918. You can see, even during this brief time period buildings have come and gone:

Name:	Wyomingcirca 1915.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	755.3 KB 
ID:	60694

The brick building in the newer (above) photo, across the tracks from the depot, is still standing.

Name:	Wyoming, MN  1890.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	60695

My plan is to first identify the locations that I can model, then create the buildings. The track construction will be the final step of this layout.

I pulled up Wyoming, MN on Google earth and see no traces of a quarry or a railroad today. like you'll have to do a bit of research.

On a totally unrelated note, its interesting that Minnesota has a Wyoming and Iowa has a Nevada. So you could go from Wyoming to Nevada without ever having to cross the Missouri River.
    Kevin

General Manager
    Red Oak and Western Railway Company

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    I pulled up Wyoming, MN on Google earth and see no traces of a quarry or a railroad today. like you'll have to do a bit of research.
    The quarry is in the town of Sandstone, located about 80 miles north of Wyoming on Highway 61. This new layout will feature several small towns along the tracks. At this time, the industries were predominately farming, logging; with the outlier industries being the carpet factory (crex ) in Wyoming and the Quarry in Sandstone.

There is a state park near Sandstone which features the quarry, and many of the building footprints are still visible. I decided to start with the Wyoming buildings first, since I already have very good somewhat close up buiding photographs.

Kevin---speaking of the name Wyoming, the settlers of Wyoming MN came from a Wyoming valley region if Indiana back in the 1850's.

10. Default

Here is the track arrangement for the locations I plan to model, with the cities highlighted with good available imagery.

Name:	St. Paul to Duluth.jpg 
Size:	377.2 KB 
ID:	60841

The towns I will be including are Wyoming, North Branch, Hinckley, Gronigan, Sandstone, and Nickerson.

This will be condensed into one 16' x 48' railroad model, looping around the attic. Still haven't got a clever way to connect the loops, I would like to make it a continuous run, maybe run the tracks into a forest in one spot which can be the beginning and the end?