Modell Railroad Links

Page 92 of 97 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout for LASM

Making progress. Keep the photos coming. Should be one heck of a scratch build.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

2. Default

Here are a few pics of the next steps in the depot construction;

Here the roof is completed for the main depot, reinforced cardboard is used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	61913

This is the porch that extends out south of the main part of the depot, I used the template to draw it out on the reinforced cardboard in one piece:

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	595.0 KB 
ID:	61914

Here it is cut out and the angles are glued in, the front of the porch will also be attached:

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Size:	682.1 KB 
ID:	61915

Here two pieces of the depot are ready for painting, the porch roof is in the background and the depot roof is on the right.

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	61916

Next I will be working on the roof details, also getting a coat of paint on everything in preparation for windows. The entire building will have to get a coat of paint before the windows go in, and the assembly cannot be finalized until I am sure the windows will stay in place.

Not quite sure what color the depot was back in 1920, anyone have a suggestion?

3. Default

Well, I dug into the Depot turret and have some pics of the progress, it started out an unknown element but is coming together,

First, I had to figure out the approximate diameter, cut it out of a piece of lightweight cardboard,and get the windows to match. I drew the locations on the cardboard and checked to see if things were going to line up, then glued things together:

Name:	IMG_1018.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	61964

I glued a piece of scale 4 x 4 to the top of each and attached them to the cardboard, as well as some between the windows:

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg 
Size:	614.9 KB 
ID:	61965

It looks like I skipped a couple steps with the photograph but used the same scale 4 x 4 to attach the other windows together and get the assembly roughed in

Name:	IMG_1020.jpg 
Size:	522.6 KB 
ID:	61966

I am going to have to paint this part before I add the glass, and that before it gets glued to the roof.

4. Default

Very nice work/progress Dave! Looking forward to your next update!

5. Default

Hi Yannis, thanks for viewing! Today I will be putting the "roof" on the turret. I think I spend twice as much time thinking about how I will be doing this than the actual doing.

6. Default

Some pics of the construction of the turret for the Wyoming, MN Depot. This is a second attempt, since the first one yesterday morning did not hold together well and I realized I needed a more solid base to keep the dimensions together:

First, I had to draw out the base and glue on scale 4 x 4 lumber to have something to attach the sheathing to:

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	423.6 KB 
ID:	61990

Here, I drew out the sections free hand to get a little sweep in them, as the structure was not angular in the slope of the roofs:

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	61991

I used CA glue to attach the sheathing to the base pieces:

Name:	IMG_1027.jpg 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	61992

Lastly, I added some glue to get the final "rough" appearance. The assembly is not attached, the shingles will be applied first. Not sure if there will be some more steps to get this ready for the shingles,

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg 
Size:	511.8 KB 
ID:	61993

This is the hard part, I think, of the whole thing.

7. Default

I have been putting things together and found I had to add a post into the center of the turret and came up with a way better result, also pics of the roof section assembly adjacent to the turret:

I am creating the roof sections adjacent to the turret (currently not in place):

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	532.4 KB 
ID:	62009

I have both sides cut and shaped. Score the angle point with a sharp blade, bend slightly, do not cut through

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg 
Size:	555.7 KB 
ID:	62011

I closed the gap with another piece, attached with a couple wood strips

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg 
Size:	663.0 KB 
ID:	62012

I set things together, nothing glued on yet. I have to paint, add glass and add a background behind the windows before final glue

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg 
Size:	560.6 KB 
ID:	62010

8. Default

Here I am getting going on the baggage section of the depot, had set this aside to work on the turret and now am back on it:

Here it is just the windows, getting the uprights and trim pieces ready. The cardboard separated a little, I see; the trim piece (scale 2 x 6) will cover this up. I did not have the glue spread adequately when I put this together.

Name:	IMG_1043.jpg 
Size:	509.6 KB 
ID:	62064

Here I have this side ready to paint. The windows always seem high, however on the original depot this is how they were placed. This was built in 1890, and natural light was very important. I am going to guess the high position deterred robbery, also maybe smashing stuff into the glass.

Name:	IMG_1044.jpg 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	62065

Lastly, a look from the end. A "Wyoming" sign will go here when it is painted. In the background you can see some of the other components I am working on:

Name:	IMG_1046.jpg 
Size:	500.6 KB 
ID:	62066

ONE of the biggest issues I grapple with is putting the glass into the windows and getting the spray paint on, also the sequence of assembly to accomplish this.

9. Default

Decided to get a coat of paint on, really makes it! We are having low humidity and wind, and went outside to do this

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	486.8 KB 
ID:	62068

After seeing how nice the paint looks, I am a little reluctant to paint any or how much of the trim

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg 
Size:	416.1 KB 
ID:	62069

10. Default

Posting pics of glueing the main part of the depot together, also seeing how two sections line up, preparing to paint trim and get the glazing set:

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	565.5 KB 
ID:	62073

I glue these little blocks of wood at the corners to hold things together

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg 
Size:	509.6 KB 
ID:	62074

Here is the back side, not nearly as much detail as the front; will be staining the platform yet, also may be adding a canopy over the end (I noticed in the older photo there was one, something I previously did not notice)

Name:	IMG_1052.jpg 
Size:	596.6 KB 
ID:	62075

Here the front of the depot is coming together; will be filling in the space above the ticket area, also painting trim wherever appropriate, adding detail to corners.

There is also the porch roof over this end which is in progress

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg 
Size:	597.3 KB 
ID:	62076