Modell Railroad Links

Page 94 of 97 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout for LASM

1. Default

Thank you very much for the compliment, Yannis!

Chet, I missed your post on the 5th, thank you as well, and for following my thread!
    Last edited by logandsawman; 07-08-2017 at 09:19 AM.

I've been a bit quiet, but have been watching this build. You have done an excellent job on what looks like quite a difficult project. Well done. Can't wait to see the completed station.

3. Default

Thanks, Chet-- Today I did a little fitting with the turret and also initially glued on the porch and walkway:

Here I formed a piece of manila folder to back the base of the turret also fill the small gap behind the top of the windows, I painted it the dark green before glueing it into place:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	62315

Here the turret is glued onto it and these are in their final resting place. The shingles and maybe some "roofing asphalt" will fill in any gaps:

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	62316

Here I have it affixed to the platform, also just glued on the porch. There will be several supports which will be fitted after the glue dries where the porch is stuck to the wall.

The paper towel is to help support the porch roof while the glue is drying:

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	62317

4. Default

Here are some final touches, the supports for the porch roof, lining the supports up, cutting them and putting them in place; just about ready to put the shingles on!!!

I use a scrap piece to get the dimensions right on, and carve up until it is the correct length; then make copies that will take their place on the building:

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	667.5 KB 
ID:	62339

I just put a drop of CA glue on each end and hold it up there with the tweezers. If I don't like it, I take it off within a couple minutes. Some of these pieces came off and on a couple times:

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	438.2 KB 
ID:	62340

I try to get the angles the same on each so they line up:

Name:	IMG_1097.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	62341

Here we are with the supports around the corner of the porch like the prototype,

Name:	IMG_1098.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	62342

5. Default

Here are a couple of pics of the floor under construction and prior to staining, from above you can see after staining. I just used your hardware store wood stain, it goes on really easy and fast; I used a piece of paper towel:

Name:	IMG_1017.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	638.3 KB 
ID:	62343

I used some thicker pieces for the main supports, then glued on scale 2 x 10 and some 2 x 8 lumber for the boards, I also reinforced it with JB weld around the corners, etc.

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg 
Size:	597.3 KB 
ID:	62344

I just put a drop of CA glue on each end and hold it up there with the tweezers. If I don't like it, I take it off within a couple minutes. Some of these pieces came off and on a couple times:

So.... were they more on than off, or more often on?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

7. Default

Hey Dave, that is one heck of a nice building
    How long have you been at it?
    Great details, I like very much

Very nice indeed!
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy! Red Green
    http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.b...-i-see-it.html

That is quite the building. One nice addition to the layout. Excellent work. Name:  Thumb up.gif
Views: 29
Size:  2.3 KB

10. Default

Hi guys, THANKS for all the comments of support with this project; adding another photo of the building prior to shingles, also some additional photos of the bottom side and one photo of the shingles I will be adding:

Toot-- the jig was the dimension of the shortest strut, they varied by up to 3/16" because the roof and floor are not "perfect". I would say 1/2 of them were cut perfect the first time, others required a little shaving. There were no left over pieces so I did not over do the trimming process.

Hawkes-- going back on posts, it was 5/22 when I began scaling down the photographs, that would be post 900.

Here is the building before attaching shingles:

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg 
Size:	681.7 KB 
ID:	62367

Here I added jb weld to the platform attaching the buildings securely, I wanted this strong enough to be able to resist some rough handling.

I spread it out with a toothpick when it was freshly mixed and easily workable, I used the jb kwick, the dries in 4 hour product as opposed to the original which takes about 24 hours to cure:

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	786.9 KB 
ID:	62368

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	450.9 KB 
ID:	62369

Here are the shingles I chose. From the photos, the entire roof appeared to be asphalt and not wood, except the bottom of the turret which was a small area of wooden shingles. I do not think I will be doing this part prototypical, rather leaving that area the way it is.

Name:	IMG_1102.jpg 
Size:	634.1 KB 
ID:	62370

I will be first painting the shingles with brown paint and then adding some gray drybrushing before attaching with white glue.