Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Stack "Hats"

1. Default Smoke Stack "Hats"

I have a two-stall engine house made by Heljan. It has a total of four smoke stack on it, presumably for some wood or coal burning heaters that are against the walls.

I need some of those conical "hats" that cover the tops of the smoke stacks. These "hats" need to be about 7/16ths of an inch in diameter, and maybe about 3/16" tall (dimensions are approximate).

They look like this:

They do not need to be "see thru" like these. I would settle for just a conical piece of plastic or whatever to glue to the top of the open stack.

I have tried cutting circles out of heavy aluminum foil, paper, and coke can aluminum, slitting a radius in it and overlapping the cut radii to create a cone. The aluminum foil is too lightweight, as is paper, and deforms before the cone can be created. Aluminum can material is too heavy to work with.

I would welcome any ideas on how to create these smoke stack covers, or use something that is "outside of the box" that I have not thought of. You know, something from the hardware store, Wal-mart, etc.

Thanks!

Juice cartons with a screw top have a seal inside that when removed is a similar shape and size.

,,,, ken

3. Default Stack caps

I have been making smaller caps using old model sprues and plastic rods. I sharpen to a point then cut it off and glue to the stack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2709.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	33772  

How about using a hole punch, like you use for ring binder files, to punch out circles from plastic sheet, then slit and glue those for the cones.
    Ron
    Modelling Norfolk Southern,with traces of the Pennsylvania Railroad, in HO.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NWP Dave View Post
    I have been making smaller caps using old model sprues and plastic rods. I sharpen to a point then cut it off and glue to the stack.
    I had thought about taking a countersunk screw head like this

and chucking it into my drill press, then filing the head off of the shank in a pointy sort of manner.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ronzzr11 View Post
    How about using a hole punch, like you use for ring binder files, to punch out circles from plastic sheet, then slit and glue those for the cones.
    Ron
    I tired this with heavy aluminum foil, aluminum can, and paper. It's just too small to handle.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LotoQuestions View Post
    Juice cartons with a screw top have a seal inside that when removed is a similar shape and size.

,,,, ken
    Juice cartons? Quart? Gallon? 1/2 pint? Apple? Orange? What brand?

I put some on top of a scratch built roundhouse. They work for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0130_BURST002.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	311.8 KB 
ID:	33783  

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    I put some on top of a scratch built roundhouse. They work for me.
    I see that, they definitely work.

Questions:

1. What are they made out of?

2. How did you make them?

Thumbs down Juice carton stacks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRuehle View Post
    Juice cartons? Quart? Gallon? 1/2 pint? Apple? Orange? What brand?
    These come on gable top cartons, 2 liter/quart in size with screw top.

Brands are just about any including Minute maid & Oasis oj and others but are probably different in US.

,,,ken