Cemr gp9rm

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

CMMR

Here are a few pictures of my project for the fall. It is going to be loosely based on the GP9RM's operated by a local short line, the Central Manitoba Railway. It is a combination of a Proto 2000 GP20 chassis with DCC & sound, Proto 2000 GP9 shell and Prototype Model Industries cab. For more info & pictures, please go to the pages section of my web page.

preview_4001.jpg

preview_gedc00100.jpg

preview_gp90.jpg

preview_2012040100110.jpg

preview_p10006490.jpg

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Interesting kitbash project Gary. I wish I had something like that PMI cab and hood unit ages ago when I chop nosed an old Athearn GP9.

CMMR

Hope all of our American neighbors are enjoying their turkey tonight! Thought I would update my progress on the GP9RM:

As I am not going to re-use the GP20 cab, the first thing I did was to remove the speaker from the GP20 cab roof and epoxy it to the chassis in the cab area.

preview_gedc00250.jpg

preview_speaker11.jpg

I then disassembled the GP20 & GP9 shells and stripped them. From here on I am using the GP9 shell on the GP20 chassis. I am also using a Prototype Model Industries GP9RM resin cab kit. I decided to modify the cab to fit the shell. I removed the lower portion and increased the opening in the back to match the existing cab. Even at that I still had to remove a portion of the shell behind the cab to get it to sit low enough.

preview_p10005640.jpg

preview_p10005610.jpg

preview_p10006460.jpg

preview_p10006490.jpg

Next I turned to the shell. I had to remove the seat pedestals to clear the speaker.

preview_p10006450.jpg

preview_p10006701.jpg

I removed the exhaust stacks and center fan. I cut some cover plates out of .015" styrene and glued them in place. I then installed a bell, horns and spark arrestors from Miniatures By Eric. I know the bell is a little low but I wanted it to be more secure.

preview_p10006690.jpg

preview_p10006730.jpg

preview_p10006740.jpg

I removed the front and rear pilots to allow for snow plows and installed ditch lights, also from Miniatures By Eric.

preview_p10007360.jpg

CNR Glen

Looks really good. I've used countless Minitures by Eric parts on my models. The prototype is a second-hand CN locomotive isn't it? The spark arrestors give that impresion

tootnkumin

Staff member
Interesting, although my interest is in the DCC and sound fitted to the P2k GP20. I recently got one of these in the Standard DC configuration, not realising until opening the packet that the DCC/sound version uses a totally different chassis i.e. the rear flywheel is deleted and in it's place there is a tent like structure over the drive shaft that incorporates the mounts for 2 outward facing speakers. The GP20 you have appears to be the DC model converted. Do you know what the decoder brand is and also the speaker brand and size?

Cheers Ray

CMMR

Interesting, although my interest is in the DCC and sound fitted to the P2k GP20. I recently got one of these in the Standard DC configuration, not realising until opening the packet that the DCC/sound version uses a totally different chassis i.e. the rear flywheel is deleted and in it's place there is a tent like structure over the drive shaft that incorporates the mounts for 2 outward facing speakers. The GP20 you have appears to be the DC model converted. Do you know what the decoder brand is and also the speaker brand and size?

Cheers Ray

Ray - the GP20 was a DC conversion that I purchased on Ebay. The decoder is a SoundTraxx DSD-LL110LC. I don't know the speaker brand, but it is an oval and the baffle measures 27mm x 16mm, which just fits into the cab area. As you can see, the previous owner had mounted it to the cab roof, which allows it to be seen through the windshield (and all the excess adhesive!). I moved it to the chassis, below the window line. To do this you have to cut down the rail pick-up though.

preview_gedc00140.jpg

preview_gedc00280.jpg

CMMR

Finished the shell up today. Will give it a good wash & rinse and might get around to priming it tomorrow.

I reused the winter hatch from the GP20, and added spark arrestors, 3 chime horn, bell and Sinclair antenna, all from Miniatures By Eric.

preview_p10007490.jpg

At the front I drilled holes in the Prototype Model Industries cab and added grab rails, MU hoses and snow plow (Details West), stairs (PMI) and MU stand, headlight bezel and ditch lights (Miniatures By Eric).

preview_p10007480.jpg

At the rear I filled in the holes for the 2 small lights near the number boards and added grab rails, MU hoses and snow plow (Details West), hand wheel (PMI) and MU stand (Miniatures By Eric).

preview_p10007500.jpg

I also shortened the GP20 fuel tank so that the air tanks on the chassis would be exposed.

preview_p10006590.jpg

CMMR

Here she is in primer. Will give it a few days to dry and then give it a coat of gloss black. I will re-install all the grab rails after I decal it. In the meantime I have to paint the ditch lights and install the new micro LED's. I also have to re-install the speaker in the chassis. I am going to move the speaker capacitor to an open space in the rear so that it is not exposed in the cab. I am also going to rewire the decoder with a connector so that I can remove the chassis weight from the frame in the future for maintenance.

p1000752-0.jpg

p1000753-0.jpg

p1000754-0.jpg

Rico

BN Modeller
Gary you just might have another project on your hands soon, I saw an SD40-2 painted up for CEMR heading out to Carman yesterday!

CMMR

Gary you just might have another project on your hands soon, I saw an SD40-2 painted up for CEMR heading out to Carman yesterday!

Rico - that's all I need, another kitbashing project! I think I should start concentrating on building something for these projects to run on next! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the SD40 though.

In the meantime here is the GP9 shell with a coat of gloss black. I was all ready to tackle the decals today and of course the printer is acting up. That's what you get for buying refilled cartridges I guess!

p1000765-0.jpg

I also mounted the LED's to the ditch light castings with some Crystal Clear. I probably should have moved the LED further into the housing, as you can see it through the Clear. This is my first LED install, so will see what they are like when lit.

p1000770-0.jpg

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
Great looking conversion! :D Even if ya did chop up that beautiful Western Maryland shell!:eek::rolleyes:

SOMEBODY needs to come out with a good quality low nosed Geep 9. I know there are different cab fronts/windsheild/nose details to deal with, but frankly, I'm getting tired of doing them.

Like you, I have to improvise ( Atlas SD24 cabs with lowered factory noses),
Why has the model been ignored so long??:eek:
paint%20rack.JPG

Future Maryland Midland units

or

WM35%20at%20rest.JPG

Western Maryland units chopped at the railroads own shops.

CNR Glen

It looks good Gary, except I have to wear sunglasses to see it for now!

If anyone want's this stripped-out P2K Low-nose Geep shell:

008.png

They can have it for the cost of Postage. I won't be using to since low-noses weren't the rage in the late fifties!

CMMR

Great looking conversion! :D Even if ya did chop up that beautiful Western Maryland shell!:eek::rolleyes:

Sorry about that Karl! It did kind of hurt, as it was a pretty piece, but it was all I could find at the time. I promise not to do it again!:eek:

tootnkumin

Staff member
You'd better get crackin' then youse guys, Internet Trains got a special goin' on Walth' trainline lownose GP9M's and Proto GP20's. Watcha waitin for.

kbkchooch

"retired" conductor
You'd better get crackin' then youse guys, Internet Trains got a special goin' on Walth' trainline lownose GP9M's and Proto GP20's. Watcha waitin for.

The Walthers unit is unprototypically wide like a BB Athearn GP9 (which is actually a GP7) and the P2k Gp 20 is ,,well,, a GP20!! That slanted GP20 nose wont do when you need a flat short hood, like my WM and MMID prototypes!:D

Attachments

• Midland tripletsa.jpg
    Midland tripletsa.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 208

tootnkumin

Staff member
The Walthers unit is unprototypically wide like a BB Athearn GP9 (which is actually a GP7) and the P2k Gp 20 is ,,well,, a GP20!! That slanted GP20 nose wont do when you need a flat short hood, like my WM and MMID prototypes!:D

I must admit that I was only kidding you along, but I was under the impression that the GP20 was only donating its frame and running gear and a couple of minor bits, and with the GP9 the cab and nose were a custom build addon anyway, or is the Walthers long hood also unprototypicly wide. I just wish I had enough disposable at the moment to buy a few more of the GP20's, as I think they're an interestingly different little loco. Probably due in part to that sloping short hood.

CMMR

Well, did some work on the shell over the weekend. Got new printer cartridge and printed off and applied the decals. Installed the sun shade after the decals. Also detailed the step edges and MU hose ends. Next step is to paint the grab rails and install them. Once that is done I will give it a coat of dull clear. Then I need to install the window glass and all-weather window.

p1000781-0.jpg

p1000780-0.jpg

p1000778-0.jpg

p1000779-0.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.