Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Sunday= 2 above ground fuel tanks

Default Quiet Sunday= 2 above ground fuel tanks

I had a very quiet morning today so I thought I'd work on a couple of fuel storage tanks I have been planning. Took me about 2 1/2 hours start to finish.
    First- I got hold of a couple of the cardboard centers from commercial size toilet paper rolls from work. They are nice heavy cardboard.
    Second- Cleaned off the left over paper and scraped off as much glue as I could with a razor blade. Then a light sanding with some 150 grit sandpaper.
    Third- Cut the tops from some 1/4" paper covered foam board, the kind the kids use for school projects, made them to press fit inside and glued them in place on the inside.
    Fourth- I had some really quick drying spackle/hole filler and filled in the seam around the cylinder and the top edge where the top and side met. Popped in the oven at 150 for about 10 minutes then sanded the filler smooth.
    Then just two coats of a blue/gray paint and all done.
    The ones that I have come out to a scale size of 25ft dia and 26ft high. I think they will work out nicely for fuel storage at my refuel point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6124.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	31438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6127.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	31439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6128.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	31440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6130.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	31441  

They came out great. Nice to see old school scratch building is still alive.
    Mike

Lobuc Valley RR
    "The Hobo Route"

That looks really good, ive been thinking of doing the same, and you just made my decision alot easier, thanks for breaking the ice... Good job on those fuel tanks
    Could probably use pvc pipe or even any kind of cardboard tubing like you have used.

4. Default

I was thinking of PVC with styrene tops but I like your foamboard idea. Wonder if that would work with the rubber craft sheets from Michaels that I use for streets and parking lots...

Anyway, nice work!

Very nice!!

I run my railroad like the prototype....IN THE RED!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidfd85 View Post
    I had a very quiet morning today so I thought I'd work on a couple of fuel storage tanks I have been planning. Took me about 2 1/2 hours start to finish.
    First- I got hold of a couple of the cardboard centers from commercial size toilet paper rolls from work. They are nice heavy cardboard.
    Second- Cleaned off the left over paper and scraped off as much glue as I could with a razor blade. Then a light sanding with some 150 grit sandpaper.
    Third- Cut the tops from some 1/4" paper covered foam board, the kind the kids use for school projects, made them to press fit inside and glued them in place on the inside.
    Fourth- I had some really quick drying spackle/hole filler and filled in the seam around the cylinder and the top edge where the top and side met. Popped in the oven at 150 for about 10 minutes then sanded the filler smooth.
    Then just two coats of a blue/gray paint and all done.
    The ones that I have come out to a scale size of 25ft dia and 26ft high. I think they will work out nicely for fuel storage at my refuel point.

Nice work.

May I ask what the diameter of the dowels are?

7. Default

Great idea, and good looking tanks!
    My wife always says I don't pay attention, or something like that.

In the sunshine where the trains run all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Great idea, and good looking tanks!
    Ditto for me! Keep up the great work.
    "Not always profitable and it's never on time, but you won't have to walk when a riding on this line!" Quoted from a Broake & Howe RR Engineer
    WN&K Railroad A.K.A. the "Wink" The line is so small, employees are told not to blink, when a working the "Wink".

The tanks look really, really good.... I have a bunch of odd sized cardboard centers laying around from stuff at work I thought about making tanks out of, but couldn't come up with a good looking top.

They might be a touch on the large size for the rivet counters. Each one would hold approximately 382,300 gallons using your measurements.

10. Default

Are the pipe stanchions for loading or unloading tank cars pulled up on the track? I am assembling Walthers' "McGraw Oil Company" kit, but the instructions are very vague as to the placement of various piping and unloading connections for the tank cars. My space for this is quite limited to a small corner, and not too visible, but I'd like to have some details. I do have the small trucks used to transport petroleum products from this depot to customers (off layout). These are not semi-trailers, just the 1930's-'50's two axle trucks.