Page 29 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

1. Default

By kbkchooch:

So, how do you guys keep away from, or recover from burn out?
    When a hobby becomes work, it's no longer a hobby and it's time for a break. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Everywhere West!

"N", the Normal scale!

2. Default

Good morning. It's 71 and cloudy with patchy fog. The high will be 90 and it'll be partly cloudy.

My food stamp card was reloaded this morning with $45 so today I'll be finishing up the grocery shopping. Won't take long with that paltry amount. Later I may take a look at the former site of the Shell Service Center.

Dr Frankendiesel -- aka -- Running Bear
    http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/v...nningbear1.jpg
    Managing director of the Midland Gulf Railway.

http://www.jeffreywimberly.proboards.com/
    History Channel Club Life Member
    Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
    beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam

In the sunshine where the trains run all day!

Quote Originally Posted by Burlington Bob View Post
    Don't have any ex-Broake & Howe RR employees on the payroll do you?
    It's probably a disgruntled group of hobos....
    "Not always profitable and it's never on time, but you won't have to walk when a riding on this line!" Quoted from a Broake & Howe RR Engineer
    WN&K Railroad A.K.A. the "Wink" The line is so small, employees are told not to blink, when a working the "Wink".

4. Default

By Old 97:

It's probably a disgruntled group of hobos....
    In any case, it only takes one bad apple, regardless of the variety!
    Everywhere West!

"N", the Normal scale!

Quote Originally Posted by Trussrod View Post
    as long as I didn't have to deal with the Broake & Howe guys! They're rather a rough bunch from what I hear!
    AAAWWWwww, they ain't so bad, once you get used to the lumps on yer head.
    "Not always profitable and it's never on time, but you won't have to walk when a riding on this line!" Quoted from a Broake & Howe RR Engineer
    WN&K Railroad A.K.A. the "Wink" The line is so small, employees are told not to blink, when a working the "Wink".

Quote Originally Posted by kbkchooch View Post
    So, how do you guys keep away from, or recover from burn out?
    I spend time with other interests or hobbies. I've been known to also focus on other facets of model railroading itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Burlington Bob View Post
    By kbkchooch:

When a hobby becomes work, it's no longer a hobby and it's time for a break. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Sunny and warm today in the central ohio small town (popu. 16,000) long known for it's industrial compressor factories......often think this quaint old town has the look of a model RR diorama town. (mount vernon) We have RR tracks, crosssings, and an occasional train too.

What you just said Bob, is a nicer way of saying "familiarity breeds contempt". I've been flying RC planes and helicopters for five years and the model RR-ing is a nice break from that. Also run nitro 4wd cars on a friends large private race track north of town......but doing less of this lately since we have no track marshals...and have to run out and tend to our cars when they wreck, flip over, or otherwise become disabled...and with my back it wears me out quick. Plus, can't afford this many hobbies and still have time to go to school...(plus really needing at least a part time job now too). Got it ramped down now to one good electric airplane, one heli, and the train layout is great because it can be improved and expanded at my own pace and don't have to load up the toyota and go anywhere to enjoy that.

There is vastly more interest and involvment in our local model railroad club than the flying club and field. I'm not officially a member of the RR club yet but often attend their thursday night sessions at the large subterranian HO train facility. Hey, that's tonight!

Mike
    :: Mike Day :: N scale dismantler :: BNSF :: Canadian Pacific :: CSX :: NFS :: Union Pacific ::

Good Morning from Coarsegold, Calif.,
    It's 7:57Am on this Thur. May 3rd, 2012.
    Now Sunny & Clear
    Temperature of 58.1 F
    Feels Like 54.3 F
    Wind(mph) 0.0
    Sunrise / Set 6:01 AM / 7:50 PM
    Moon Waxing Gibbous
    More Astronomy - >An easy way to remember and understand those "between" lunar phase names is by breaking out and defining 4 words: crescent, gibbous, waxing, and waning.<

Today Partly Cloudy 75 F
    Tonight Partly Cloudy 52 F

> >

Hello Flo & Francine, how are you both doing today? Looks as though it's going to be a fairly decent day. I'll have some Coffee, a Blue Berry Pancake and three of the small link sauges or one of the large ones, whichever you have? Oh you just have the ground meat, well then a fairly good size paddy will be great then. Oh, and some Orange juice.

Say Karl:
    Dealing with burnout seems to happen to us all, myself included, and as has been said prior, you just have to back away from the railroading for a bit. As Bob said, 'If you start loading yourself down with things you feel pressured to do', MRR'ing looses the enjoyment, escape and creative side that's so enjoyable. Maybe all you need to do is to forget all that seems to be hanging over you to accomplish and do whatever feels right and enjoyable even if it's another activity as others have said.
    I'm not sure about you, but if I'm somewhat troubled about not being able to visualize how I want something to turn out I just have distance myself from it and allow the the subconscious mind to work on it at it own pace and an answer usually pops up but at it on pace, not when I necessarily want it to.

Also just talking on here as you are can also be a good thing to do.

> >

Say Mike:
    More lumps on the head is good reason to stay away from that ex-crew.! Thanks for the warning!!

>>

Say Rex:
    In talking with Matt/Littlefoot, he inquired about Corey and I haven't heard from him either, are you aware of how he's doing?

Have an enjoyable day!
    David
    'C & S West, Short-Line RR,' Under Construction, is a 10'x21' Folded Dog Bone, Hand Laid track & switches,
    in weathered code 70 & 55 Rail Craft Rail. A turn of the Century theme, from about 1885 to 1910 HO/HOn3 RR, loosely modeling D&RGW, RGS & C&S, the logging line closely tied to the Sierra's in Ca.
    Visit my new Website at:
    http://www.vendio.com/stores/Foothill-Station/

You can also email me at: foothillstation@sti.net or call my cell-phone 559-676-3736 always glad to help.

9. Default

We did find a couple of Broake and Howe boys here....
    Barry

Emerald, Leemer & Southern

Do not call up that which you cannot put back down--H.P.Lovecraft in " The Case of Charles Dexter Ward"

My photos: s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/blownoutcylinder/

http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/freshcylinder/

My so-called blog...http://modeltrainswithmusic.blogspot.ca/

Afternoon all.....Been busy configuring more old laptops with Vista so we can sell them. I've still gott talk to the boss and find out how much we're selling them for. Last batch went for $125, but these are now 6 months older than when we last sold them. I have one I tore down to make 3 others saleable. I'm going to see about taking the parts machine as I have a new disk drive at home for it (Warranty from another brand).

I run my railroad like the prototype....IN THE RED!!!!!!!