Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HO rolling stock proper weight

1. Default HO rolling stock proper weight

I'm in the process of getting some old equipment from my younger days up and running again. I understand the weight of the cars is important for keeping them on track. Does anyone have a formula or ideas for getting them properly weighted? Are todays new HO rolling stock weighted properly or do they all need to be added too as well?

2. Default

The NMRA has a formula listed on their website under the Standards and Recommended Practices. Here is the page;

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp-20_1.html

Just click on it and it will take you to it.
    Carey
    Playing at expert again!!
    Keep it Between the Rails
    Alabama Central Homepage
    NARA Member #128
    SER & NMRA Lifer

I like to keep mine a little lighter than the NMRA standard. It's easier to pull more cars up a steep hill that way.
    Kyle

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by posse View Post
    I like to keep mine a little lighter than the NMRA standard. It's easier to pull more cars up a steep hill that way.
    I also like to keep mine a little under the RP.20 recommendation. It tests the engineer's skill in starting a long train. Even though I'm DCC I have very little to NO momentum programmed in. If you derail a train on startup, you get 20 Porterfields! (Named after a fellow modeller, notorious for a wicked sense of humor. These are worse than Brownies!!!)
    Carey
    Playing at expert again!!
    Keep it Between the Rails
    Alabama Central Homepage
    NARA Member #128
    SER & NMRA Lifer

5. Default

Is the weight standard the same for passenger cars and freight cars?

6. Default

The standard is the same regardless of whether it's freight or passenger. The standard is based on car length. Like some of the others, I like to keep it about 4% - 5% under even though I don't have any grades.
    willie

7. Default

I keep mine under as well.
    I find Accurail cars are about the ideal weight.
    My wife always says I don't pay attention, or something like that.

If you like to run long trains and not overload your engines then why add weight??
    Run the cars and if they track well without derailing just leave them the way they are. Most of the cars i have had weight removed.

Bob

I don't even put the weights in the cars anymore. I have a 3.5% grade and a longer 2% grade and I pull coal drags. The hoppers have vacuformed coal forms that I glue real coal onto and then place as a load in the hopper. I use Jay-Bee wheel sets and mostly MDC truck frames for my fleet of hoppers. ONE Powerhouse 2-8-8-2 can pull 45 of them up the 3.5% grade. Putting the weight as low as you can makes your cars more stable, and with sharp axle points and polished axle pockets my cars roll very easily.

10. Default

Only some of my double stacks, front runners and 89' high cubes get additional weight. I don't add any unless the car has a tracking problem Phil