Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

tootnkumin

Staff member
Was going to make that pic my next desktop background, but discovered another little "annoyance" with Google Chrome. It won't let me simply right click the pic with an option to do so. That option must only be possible with a microsoft "approved" browser, seeing I'm using their OS. Have to find a way around that, or try their new "Edge" as default.

WaltP

I never liked the layout of Chrome. It makes no sense to me to have the tabs at the top of the browser. The tabs belong with the window they are associated with. The way FireFox used to do it -- until they went Chrome Clone Crazy.

dmirguy

Was going to make that pic my next desktop background, but discovered another little "annoyance" with Google Chrome. It won't let me simply right click the pic with an option to do so. That option must only be possible with a microsoft "approved" browser, seeing I'm using their OS. Have to find a way around that, or try their new "Edge" as default.

I use Firefox, it allows me to right click on the image and set it as desktop background (with option to stretch/tile/fit/ ...). Never did warm up to IE.

Yeh, I too like the night light. I went way overboard on my layout. Even have a little blinking fire for making s'mores at the Inn on the lake.

Not as nice as Jim's but still affects the power grid.

dmirguy

I saw this in a thread at Flightsim (https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/show...rybody-s-Fun-Of-Creating-amp-Post-Screenshots)

"Photobucket had made important announcement 2 days ago that could potentially ruin everybody's fun of creating and posting screenshots.

PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images.

Here is new rule for Photobucket: Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. [font color="e63d19"]The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting[/font]. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time."

the Flightsim thread has more information. If true, this REALLY sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
Download your pictures directly to the forum and avoid all of the Photobucket BS. Use the third icon from the right in "Quick Reply".

Willie

tootnkumin

Staff member
They were all there before. If you only get 2GB for photos/videos that you personally have taken and stored, there won't be much I have stored on that site then. Have to go check.

tootnkumin

Staff member
I see mine says I'm 14% full, if that's 14% of 2GB, I've a long way to go, but just what do they mean by 3rd party storage, if it's pics off the web, most of mine would be that.

tootnkumin

Staff member
I have been expecting something to happen about charging for storage for some time. Obviously all the "pushing" of products i.e. prints etc hasn't paid off.

HOexplorer

Test: Seems like this works. Let me think about this. Jim:confused:
myM9FRe.jpg

HOexplorer

Well, I don't know quite what to say. Photobucket is not allowing posting of photos here unless you pay $399 a year. Can't afford that! I was hoping something like this would happen after I was dead. Since I'm not quite there yet I'm thinking about all the photos in this thread and what to do about them; and the thread. More work that I care to handle I think.

The photo just above was posted using directions I got in an earlier post. Thank you. I still have to put in a URL and viewers see the photo above. Clicking on it enlarges to near full frame. The first big photo is a photo I posted on Imgur. These free posting sites are not my cup of tea in that they tend to be quasi social sites. I'm not in the mode for socializing these days. Not sure which I should use. Who's to say they won't start charging?

I will try to get the final part of this layout, shown above, next post. Then a look at the BIG problem. Trying to fill this site with photos that match the story. Jim

tootnkumin

Staff member
The odd thing is, unless you have exeeded the 2GB limit for free storage, most, if not all the pictures you've posted here are yours, ones you've personally taken. When you log on to the site, what does it tell you have used of your allowed capacity?

dmirguy

Toot- I'm not an expert in any way, but the way I read the Photobucket thing is that Jim isnt allowed to link from http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum (a "third party") site to any of his own photos. I really hope I'm not correct.

Jim- I feel pretty bad because this thread isn't just a wonderful labor of love you're carefully tended for so long, but it was also such an inspiration and example for the rest of us. I know how daunting it is to try to redo all 430 pages with different links. If there's anything I (and I'm sure the others) can do to help rescue this, then let us know man. Otherwise, well, Thanks for the Memories.

Redo RO_Monochrome_zpszxasrnwc.jpg

beiland

I was always leery of these numerous photo hosting sites. i wondered what might happen in the future should they decide to change things. I even wondered what might happen should they decide to change/modernize their software, and thus upset the webpage address of each photo,....thus upsetting all the web links to any specific photo(s).

It does appear they have sucked you into their 'web' , and now want to make you pay.

I'm no computer guru, so that is just my uneducated wondering thoughts.

I also didn't care for the manner in which some of those photo hosting sites tried to 'collect info' about all visitors, by requiring all visitors to go thru some elaborate sign in process.

HOexplorer

Thanks for the good thoughts. Toot, it had nothing to do with storage, I'm not close to that. It is all about making money. Cost's nothing to use it as storage so I'll just live it alone.
dmirguy, thanks for the offer. Don't know how 'help' would work. beiland, I guess you are right.

Some good news sorta: If any of you go back to Page 1 and looks through Page 5 you will see that I have replaced photos on those pages! It is very time consuming and I don't know if I can do all 430 pages of photos before my time is up. I will try. Jim:(

beiland

Some good news sorta: If any of you go back to Page 1 and looks through Page 5 you will see that I have replaced photos on those pages! It is very time consuming and I don't know if I can do all 430 pages of photos before my time is up. I will try. Jim:(
That has got to be a GIGANTIC task.

And I might be a little concerned that your photos could disappear from this site. I had it happen to me on several subject threads. No one has adequately explained it to me yet.

tootnkumin

Staff member
If, as is being said, they're basically limiting users of the free storage to being just that alone, i.e. only viewable by that person and not able to share onto sites like this, then all the advice that I and others have given to people for years that this is what you can do is false. For me, this was Photobucket's main purpose in life, as I believe it largely would be for all on forums like this. If this is true, and it sounds so, as all of the photos I have stored there have always been stored to my computer's files first, then why bother. Just make sure they are backed up on another drive (or drives), cheaper in the long run. Peebucket, as I have on occasion, referred to them since the sale from it's original founder, seems to be, in that case, engaging in a final foot shooting excercise.

tootnkumin

Staff member
That has got to be a GIGANTIC task.

And I might be a little concerned that your photos could disappear from this site. I had it happen to me on several subject threads. No one has adequately explained it to me yet.

Yes, I noticed your puzzlement about that, but had no explanation. It would seem therefore that they (photobucket) are systematically going through files of members they have and blocking the ones shared. I predict a lot more dissolutioned users.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.