Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Bushel86

Contragulations Ed, And Jim thanks for all the insperation you give and the talent you share with everyone. I enjoy following this thread even if I don't contribute, I still love following along.

HOexplorer

Moving on: I've been in the hobby for about a dozen years. During that time I've made a couple of small contributions to the hobby. Back in 2007 Micro Trains came out with plastic ballasted track. Z scale needed that product. I was moderator of the largest Z scale site in those days. Soon folks where in a panic. "When will MT come out with smaller pieces of track?" Basically anything larger than a simple oval would mean some serious pushing and pulling. So I came up with this:

IMG_3110.JPGMeasure the section you need to cut out.

IMG_3347.JPGCut twice through center of holes

IMG_3112.JPGtake the piece out

IMG_3113.JPGClip off the beads that hole the track to the plastic.

HOexplorer

Part Two

IMG_3114.JPGPush the road bed together and snip the rails

IMG_3346.JPGPushed together nice and neat. Key is to saw through the holes

IMG_3348.JPGNot too bad.

This small offering still gets me thank you's ten years down the line. Jim :rolleyes:

HOexplorer

Next up is more a contribution to Z Scale than model railroading as a whole. As Z began to grow up around 2008 there was some bridges and a few kits and most of the rest was scratch built. For those making layouts on very important thing was missing-a turntable. I put my mind to the issue and came up with a turntable easily built by anyone who had $5 to spare.

IMG_4166.JPGWhat parts will I need?

IMG_4167.JPG1/4" plastic strip from you LHS. Two N scale gondolas.

IMG_4168.JPGTop of a Big Gulp plastic cup.

IMG_4169.JPGTurn the N gondolas upside down. Cut to length and glue. I put some wood strips along the track.

HOexplorer

Turntable Part 2

IMG_4170.JPGGlue a 3/4" dowel to the gondolas.

IMG_4172.JPGFinished.IMG_4173.jpgIn place.

IMG_11351.jpgNot to bad. Still being use on the original Z site after 9 years. Jim

tootnkumin

Staff member
Another display of lateral thinking Jim, something that necessarilly occurs in the mind of a problem solver. Did you teach McGiver by any chance?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.